Garret Sparks - What should the Leafs do with him?

What should the Leafs organization do with Garret Sparks?

• Total voters

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
upload_2018-4-11_20-9-56.png

Nice GAA 1.81 !

Garret Sparks hockey statistics and profile at hockeydb.com

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
He’s the best goalie in the AHL, on merit alone he earned a chance with the Leafs.

McBackup played well this season but he’s replaceable.

So he's earned Mcbackup'sjob? look I'm not going to pretend I was always on board with Mcbackup I was not but after the way he played this year that's his job Sparks hasn't earned anything

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Does Sparks actually have NHL potential as a backup or starter or is he just a great AHL goalie?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
So he's earned Mcbackup'sjob? look I'm not going to pretend I was always on board with Mcbackup I was not but after the way he played this year that's his job Sparks hasn't earned anything

It’s hardly uncommon in the NHL to have a capable vet replaced by a younger version with more upside.

Keeping sparks in the minors after the type of dominant season he just had seems beyond strange. Meaning he’s either traded or likely becomes the new backup.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Sparks is already the better player between the two.

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012
For a period, and out of necessity, Chicago moved on from good players while in their prime and playing for their organization and promoted from within and did so successfully. So has Pittsburgh. We're not Chicago or Pittsburgh (or Boston), but, what these successful teams prove time and time again is that at some point, successful teams get comfortable with moving from strength to strength.

As good as Mclhenney has played for us, he's 34 and he was acquired for free. He's playing well within our system. I believe our players are improving within Babcock's system and will continue to, so, the question becomes one of maximizing assets and a reasonable assessment that determines if Sparks can fill a permanent back-up role. If Sparks can - and I think he can given his AHL numbers - fulfill that role, AND we can move Mac for something, a 7th, a 6th, then, we've come out winners and added twice over with our own developed young back-up and flipped a free wallet into another crack at an Andreas Johnsson or something more...And more's the point, Sparks gains experience and exposure, from which to entertain repeating the process.

Toronto gaining the reputation as a place that mines reliable talent is a good thing.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
It’s hardly uncommon in the NHL to have a capable vet replaced by a younger version with more upside.

Keeping sparks in the minors after the type of dominant season he just had seems beyond strange. Meaning he’s either traded or likely becomes the new backup.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Sparks is already the better player between the two.

To me he has to take that job neither Sparks Nor Pickard should be given anything.

You know why you keep Sparks in the minors, because as dominant as he was in the AHL, Mac was even more dominant in the league that matters, the NHL

The Kessel Run

Jun 7, 2011
Im kidding

Check out the box score of the Philly-Pitt game, and note their decades long search for a goaltender.

Still, one of Sparks or Pickard needs to be moved before next season as I doubt they clear waivers

LOL, okay, gotcha!

I don't know why, but I feel like the Leafs keep Pickard.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
What shall we do with Sparks the goalie?
Early in the season!

Send him to the Marlies while we’re able,
Early in the season!

Trade him to the Flyers for a prospect,
Early in the season!

Bring him to the Leafs to be our backup,
Early in the season!

No point worrying at this juncture,
Just before the playoffs!

Sung to the tune of “What shall we do with the drunken sailor?”

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
If I was really convinced that he's ready for the NHL then I'd be forced to keep him up next fall. His ceiling seems to be a very good backup or part of a starting tandem for a team without a real number 1. He hasn't been groomed to start in my opinion, not enough starts per season during his entire pro career. He makes guaranteed NHL money next season ($700k). I could see the Leafs start with 3 goalies next season just to avoid exposing him to waivers. He seems to have the right disposition to be an NHL backup: outgoing, talkative, funny, and competitive when does play.

P.S.

Pickard isn't very good. I don't think he gets qualified.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Does Sparks actually have NHL potential as a backup or starter or is he just a great AHL goalie?

I think so, his AHL numbers have been very good for years now.

He had a short NHL stint, in the year we were tanking for last place. It's hard to blame him for bad numbers as a rookie on the worst team in the league over a small sample size.

Reactions: Menzinger

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I think so, his AHL numbers have been very good for years now.

He had a short NHL stint, in the year we were tanking for last place. It's hard to blame him for bad numbers as a rookie on the worst team in the league over a small sample size.

Even still you need to hit a 900 save%

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad