Garret Sparks - What should the Leafs do with him?

What should the Leafs organization do with Garret Sparks?

• Total voters

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
The Marlies want to win a calder cup and have a good chance with two really good goalies. In years past when Sparks went down with an injury Bibeau couldn't cut it, they don't have that problem so much now. We might see one of Sparks or Picard next year but I think they both stay in the A.

You mentioned Bibeau. I thought he real NHL potential and then he slipped last year and was surpassed by Sparks and Kasper.
He seemed might be back on form as he was recalled to his parent NHL team (the Ducks?) this year.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I voted other. Keep him in the AHL until they find a deal for McElhinney. May not be this year, but could be next year. Or deal him if they get a good enough offer, but that could apply to Pickard as well.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Sparks is a decent AHL goalie like Bibeau, I would prefer signing a high end backup like a Condon.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
I don't think it's really all that difficult. Leafs hold on to as much depth and quality as they can within the constraints of the CBA and player contracts.

Sparks will be held in the AHL until one of the following happens:

- Injuries hit and Sparks is next in line to share the load in the NHL
- He becomes eligible for waivers and he is a sustainable option to keep in the NHL
- He asks for a trade to get an NHL shot elsewhere
- He has value where trading him for an upgrade elsewhere makes sense

That's what's happening with all other depth players Leafs are holding on to such as Leivo, Soshnikov, Kapanen who seemingly can take NHL time. Notice how Sosh came up as soon as his contract indicated he needed to be.

There is a saying I've heard which says that when playoffs come around, the healthiest team goes deep. A corollary to that is that the team with the most depth goes deep.

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
Keep him, he could get better - - goalies sometimes mature and keep developing later, so, it's important that he is playing lots.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Sparks is a decent AHL goalie like Bibeau, I would prefer signing a high end backup like a Condon.

What if Sparks is our Condon?

Also the idea of "high back-ups" doesn't really fit us really. Condon makes $2.4m we probably can't afford to give our back-ups that.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Whatever is best for the Team, ship him out or leave him on the Marlies. Not really a fan myself, regardless he has no future here.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Incorrect, NcElhinney has a contract for 2019/19

And haven't we seen that having at least three NHL goalies is necessary if one get hurts.
If Andersen gets injured I would hate to McIhinney traded for a useless 4th rounder and have the NHL questionable Sparks and Pickard in carrying the load
Incorrect it's McElhinney not NcElhinney

Tall Morty

Visualize the action to actualize the vision
Apr 18, 2017
I love how 3 people voted to call him up as our starter :laugh:. I kind of threw that in there to cover all of the possible options I could think of, thinking no one would vote for it anyway. Might as well have just put '1' there. If anyone voted for that and wasn't joking, I would love to hear the justification.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Sparks is an AHL goalie. When he played games for us he was horrible and it helped us tank.

He may have improved skill wise but between the ears is still very questionable.

He may get picked up by another team come next season and I would not lose any sleep over it. Pickard and him will battle come training camp for a NHL position and the loser will go on Vaivers . My bet is Pickard wins.

member 262271

You mentioned Bibeau. I thought he real NHL potential and then he slipped last year and was surpassed by Sparks and Kasper.
He seemed might be back on form as he was recalled to his parent NHL team (the Ducks?) this year.
That'd be the Sharks, and I didn't know that, good for him! A quick look at his numbers and he's 7-5 in the AHL this year, not too shabby.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Very much so. Sparks has been one of the best AHL goaltenders for a few years. Injuries are the only thing that's been bad about him.

yea, and yet he past through waivers and the Leafs signed mcBackup and draft goalies.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
yea, and yet he past through waivers and the Leafs signed mcBackup and draft goalies.
The

Leafs wanting to go with a vet over untested rookie in a year the team is trying to be competitive I shouldn’t necessarily be viewed as a slight against Sparks. I mean at the same time they also didn’t waste time getting him a new contact.

He’s played better at the AHL level than McBackup ever has.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Sparks is an AHL goalie. When he played games for us he was horrible and it helped us tank.

He may have improved skill wise but between the ears is still very questionable.

He may get picked up by another team come next season and I would not lose any sleep over it. Pickard and him will battle come training camp for a NHL position and the loser will go on Vaivers . My bet is Pickard wins.

Though seems bit unfair to use a small sample of games from a few years ago against the guy. He was a still developing player and was thrown to the wolves on a terrible team. Any not-ready prospect would have flopped given the same circumstances.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
The

Leafs wanting to go with a vet over untested rookie in a year the team is trying to be competitive I shouldn’t necessarily be viewed as a slight against Sparks. I mean at the same time they also didn’t waste time getting him a new contact.

He’s played better at the AHL level than McBackup ever has.

I watch the Marlies and see Sparks, Ben Smith is a legit offensive threat in the AHL, Peter Holland may end up winning the AHL points race. Marlies have been a powerhouse the last 3 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad