Garret Sparks Discussion

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Great start for Sparks. Very small sample size, but he was dynamite down in the AHL this year as well.

I hope we have a late round gem here. Getting some stability in net would be a HUGE addition to the rebuild. Weak goaltending is an Achilles Heel that can hold teams back for years.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
I only have my own opinion available to me. I really like Sparks but I just don't see a starting goaltender in him, that being said, I am more then happy to be wrong.

Yeah, I think I am of the same opinion. But mental strength is imo the most vital part that will determine how they their careers will be like. And for him coming up and playing as solid as he have do hints about there being some mental strength there. Even after the game he was lit up in he came back strong. That to me is a good tell.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
It's time to make Sparks the #1 goalie until Reimer's return. Keep that winning streak going Sparks!

That puts the Tank in Jeopardy.
As much as I want to see him .... a good tank this year would be good for us.

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
I would be delighted if we finished dead last, so as to get the best chance at Laine or Matthews. But something about this Sparks guy brings out the blue blood in my veins and makes me want him to win every game. Guess its partly him being a seventh rounder, partly cause the guy had the guts to break down and cry, then come back and win another game. I don't exactly know.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Save Percentage - Close.
LOL #1 !!!
9jenbq.jpg

champs*

I like sparks, would like the leafs to bring in some high quality goaltending people and develop a couple good ones for us, starting with sparks!!!

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I like sparks, would like the leafs to bring in some high quality goaltending people and develop a couple good ones for us, starting with sparks!!!

They have one of the most respected goalie coaches now.

One benefit the Leafs have with the NHL/AHL clubs in the same city, the goalie coach can work with the 4 goalies or in the Leaf case now 6 goalies.

Dr Danglefest

Lindros|Giroux|Krug
May 29, 2010
THE SouthShore, MASS
What's the outlook on this kid? They've sent him back to the AHL, is there a known gameplan for him the rest of the way or are they going to merely overlook his successful short stint and continue on with Bernier/Reimer(when healthy) going forward? Does he have a shot to compete next year or will he get shut out in a numbers game?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
What's the outlook on this kid? They've sent him back to the AHL, is there a known gameplan for him the rest of the way or are they going to merely overlook his successful short stint and continue on with Bernier/Reimer(when healthy) going forward? Does he have a shot to compete next year or will he get shut out in a numbers game?

He's earned a shot to take over the backup duties for sure. He's paid his dues.

The problem now is that he's been injured 2 seasons in a row long-term. He needs to stay healthy for the Leafs to have faith he can be a reliable backup.

I think he's got solid potential to keep growing in terms of skillset.

I think the Leafs will shop one of Reimer and Bernier at the deadline so that Sparks can gain the back up role. Bibeau and Madore have shown good stuff in the AHL lately, so I think they are confident they can do their job. It's likely he's back with the Marlies to finish the year though.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto

I think he could be the back-up next year. Bernier has 1 year left on his contract so I'm pretty sure the team will bring him back and see if he deserves an extension or we use him as trade bait by next year's TDL. Even though we're in the early stages of the re-build it's still important to have a guy in net you can rely on and Bernier's play has definitely picked up lately. Sparks just has to take everything in stride and play well when given the opportunity to play, that's how you earn trust in management, no matter what others think of his potential from the outside.

Pholus

May 23, 2014
Just saw that he has been sent down to Orlando. Anyone know anything about this?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad