Rumor: Garland Trade? | Update: Getting Closer? #439

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
You are responding to a poster who argued Lafreniere played centre because, in a description of a photograph showing Lafreniere, he was in the middle of 3 players and they referenced him as the centre player. He would not admit he was wrong. Lol.
Jesus I forgot who that was. Makes sense now.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
It was Gretzky who first said that Lafreniere projects as a Centre in the NHL but then some brainiac on these boards said they were smarter than Gretzky.

Then it was Larionov who said that Podkolzin projects as a Centre in the NHL but then some brainiac on these boards said they were smarter than Larionov.

The fact that the Abby Canucks coach said they may try to work Podkolzin in at centre shouldn't defer the brainiacs that haunt this place.

Your buddy spokbokk went on and on about how Kotkaneimi had turned the corner...great last half of year blah blah blah but really, as a 2C he is not very good.

On most teams Kotkaneimi would project as a 3C, which is where he should be playing, but they would be paying him around 5M for 7 years for a 3C which probably means his contract has a negative value playing that far down the lineup.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
It was Gretzky who first said that Lafreniere projects as a Centre in the NHL but then some brainiac on these boards said they were smarter than Gretzky.

Then it was Larionov who said that Podkolzin projects as a Centre in the NHL but then some brainiac on these boards said they were smarter than Larionov.

The fact that the Abby Canucks coach said they may try to work Podkolzin in at centre shouldn't defer the brainiacs that haunt this place.

Your buddy spokbokk went on and on about how Kotkaneimi had turned the corner...great last half of year blah blah blah but really, as a 2C he is not very good.

On most teams Kotkaneimi would project as a 3C, which is where he should be playing, but they would be paying him around 5M for 7 years for a 3C which probably means his contract has a negative value playing that far down the lineup.

Please point out where I go on and on.

What you don’t want to admit is the fact you originally got called out for using crappy sources as fact and then doubled down on them, looking quite foolish. Something you seem quite good at.

OG Eberle

Aug 25, 2011
yes at the unsustainable cap hit of 6.5M that kicks in when he is 30 years old and ends when he is 37 years old, that one, for the guy the Nucks signed for 5 years at the unsustainable cap hit of 4.95M for 5 years a couple of years ago that ends in 3 years when he turns 29 years old, who has generally outscored Wilson throughout his career, plus a former 1st rounder who is performing well in the AHL so far this year.

i don't think you fully understand what "unsustainable" means my guy...

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005

lol.

Man alive, you just double down and double down.

Gretzky said that Vitali Yachmenev would score 50 goals one day in the NHL and the brainiacs on this board would have said (were the boards around at that time) that that’s ridiculous.

Yachmenev is now like 55 years old but I guess you’re still steadfastly holding onto that concept too? Or is it possible that Gretzky’s opinion is fallible and your occasionally incorrect too?

Feb 19, 2018
Does he come back on the flight from Nashville tomorrow or just jump into the other dressing room? He seems like a perfect Nashville Predator.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
How much retention is Vancouver willing to eat to move Garland. I just don't see him moving without retention. His contract is not good.

kranuck

Mar 11, 2023
Is Garland really this bad?
Not in a vacuum but with cap space so tight and wingers so cheap he’s not worth much. Canucks have too many wingers.

Hence the rumors that he’s moveable with a chunk of salary retained.

kranuck

Mar 11, 2023
The last thing this team needs is a guy who doesn’t want to be here. He needs to go.
He will go on whatever timeline makes sense for the team. If he can’t handle that then the only place he needs to go is home to pout away from everyone else.

I don’t say that to be cruel. It’s just the reality of his situation that he can either play on the Canucks and wait for a trade or he can sit at home and wait. Canucks can’t afford to waste cap because a guy is miffed.

CraigBillington

Dec 10, 2010
lol.

Man alive, you just double down and double down.

Gretzky said that Vitali Yachmenev would score 50 goals one day in the NHL and the brainiacs on this board would have said (were the boards around at that time) that that’s ridiculous.

Yachmenev is now like 55 years old but I guess you’re still steadfastly holding onto that concept too? Or is it possible that Gretzky’s opinion is fallible and your occasionally incorrect too?
Yup. I often take Gretzky's opinions on individual players with a grain of salt. He's very complimentary, to the point where his takes are often far fetched.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Reports are the Canucks are willing to retain up to 30%
I’m thinking if that’s the case the return would need to be decent. Either a younger right side D with top four potential or a pick (second or third rounder) so the other 70% of Garland’s cap is gone.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
He will go on whatever timeline makes sense for the team. If he can’t handle that then the only place he needs to go is home to pout away from everyone else.

I don’t say that to be cruel. It’s just the reality of his situation that he can either play on the Canucks and wait for a trade or he can sit at home and wait. Canucks can’t afford to waste cap because a guy is miffed.
Lol. There's been zero reports of him "pouting" or being an issue in the locker room. Some Canuck fans ate attacking the kid because his agent has received permission to talk to other teams. This comes after a solid year of him being in trade rumors. You don't think the team trying to get rid of him for a year has an effect on his desire to play for the team?

Last edited:

kranuck

Mar 11, 2023
Lol. There's been zero reports of him "pouting" or being an issue in the locker room. Some Canuck fans ate attacking the kid because his agent has received permission to talk to other teams. This comes after a solid year of him being in trade rumors. You don't think the team trying to get rid of him for a year has an effect on his desire to play for the team?
I think he’s handled it fine. It’s a lousy situation to be the odd guy out and he’s still doing his job.

I’m saying the Canucks will try to facilitate a trade but they aren’t going to f*** their cap to get him traded. Not more than they have to.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
its all about production Vs salary and he does not produce at $5 mil salary for a small winger. his production is a 3rd line winger and he is paid as a 2nd line. Im not saying (clearly you do not read my posts) he is a bad player he is just over paid with term. Canucks have been trying to trade him for a 1 1/2 years. If he had value at 4.95 mil for 3 years he would have been traded already and the wouldnt have told his agent to see if you can find a trade. that only happens when the canucks are out of options. If you read anything from the connected writers trading players with term is very very hard.

retaining fixes that. no 2nd AND retaining. not hard to get.

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
retaining fixes that. no 2nd AND retaining. not hard to get.
in 25-26 season they have a 4.8 mil dead cap hit for OEL do you want to add another $1.5-$2mil to that. how are you planning on sign petterson and putting a team that has a shot at the playoffs. hard to compete when you salary cap is 6.5 mil less then everybody else.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Some boxes need to be checked off before a Garland trade is to happen:

-Mikhayev getting games in and showing he is healthy for the top 6 ( 1 game in )
- Replacement wingers within the system need to show they can play a bottom 6 role - Studnicka has looked decent. Bains has 7 pts in 4 games in the AHL, Podkolzin has 5 pts and 4 goals in 4 AHL games. Aman 5 pts in 4 AHL games. ( Check)
-Canucks need to be willing to retain ( Check)

I think the Canucks likely have offers they are mulling over and are just waiting a week or 2 to let Mikhayev get some games under him without any setback.

I'd speculate that Garland gets moved well before American Thanksgiving.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad