Seravalli: Garland is a "free asset", teams want assets to take him

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
I have no clue why Garland would be in discussions then. I'm certainly not advocating that he is a world beater, or even that he would return a ton, but if teams are expecting assets in return then I would FAR rather pay more to rid a worse contract. Garland is a perfectly fine player, and in a vacuum is perfectly worth his contract. If you are hell bent in clearing cap do it other ways
yeah the problem is that everyone knows the Canucks are screwed, and they will get bent over on any attempt to clear salary. I hated the OEL Garland trade the second it was made. Do you have any suggestions on how they can clear salary on not trade another top draft pick?

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005

I think the "negative value" reputation Garland has is wildly undeserved, he's a much better player than a negative asset IMO. But it seems like all other teams know how much the Canucks want to move him, so the Canucks have no leverage. Where does he end up?
That’s what it is. Teams just know they’re in cap hell. The guy just goes out there and plays.

It’s hard to imagine with the amount of crap in the NHL making $5 million, that he’s negative value. If he is, it’s completely situational. You can’t tell me Ottawa wouldn’t have interest after Debrincat is moved.

I guess one problem could be, there will be interest but not until after UFA starts. Which will strangle the Canucks from doing much before then.

So sure, he may have no value June 10th, but come July 20th, I’d wager he has some value.

Reactions: notsocommonsense

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
No need to trade him then. Garland is 60th in ES scoring by forwards the last 3yrs.

Fuxx off Saravelli and whoever keeps reporting this crap. Seems the best thing one can do for hits is to troll the Canucks fanbase.

Good luck with the UFAs lol

Reactions: Petes2424 and arttk

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I'd imagine they can move him after someone misses on a guy they like in Free Agency. However, that may be too late for what the Canucks are wanting to do.

I think this is a big part of the problem the Canucks are facing.

They've got designs on some things that require cap space. But the things that might clear that cap space might not happen on a timeline that works for that.

Garland like you said, probably finds a taker once someone gets through the opening wave of Free Agent Frenzy and whiffs on the winger they wanted. Comes to their senses and want an effective little guy on a more reasonable contract.

Myers probably isn't hard to move once his bonus is paid out and he's only a $1M cash player on a $6M cap hit.

But in both cases...that's probably to late for the Canucks to really wade into the Free Agent Frenzy themselves the way they likely want to. I'm not even sure what they'd really be targeting on the market. It's not great. But that does seem to be something they're interested in doing to try to change the composition of their roster.

I just really hope they don't get stupid with this. Garland is still a good player on a reasonable contract. They can't afford to be paying to unload him.

Reactions: sting101

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I have no idea what people are talking about with Garland. He’s currently signed for 3 years at $4.95. That is definitely not a bad contract for what he brings to the table.

It really isn't. That's not a bad deal for a ~50pt player. Especially since a healthy chunk of that is even strength points and he's demonstrated that he doesn't necessarily need premium minutes with top-end linemates and tons of PP time to produce those results.

He'd help a lot of teams. It's a pretty on par "market value" contract. Just a matter of finding someone who realizes that and is willing to toss the Canucks something minor to take him. Vancouver simply have too many bodies and too much money invested in wingers at this point. Something has to give, and Garland as a useful player on a decent contract is the obvious candidate.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I have no idea what people are talking about with Garland. He’s currently signed for 3 years at $4.95. That is definitely not a bad contract for what he brings to the table.

He's probably the easiest to move Vancouver player who isn't a core one and can be moved. Boeser, Myers, let alone OEL are way tougher to get rid of.

Reactions: Fatass

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
No need to trade him then. Garland is 60th in ES scoring by forwards the last 3yrs.

Fuxx off Saravelli and whoever keeps reporting this crap. Seems the best thing one can do for hits is to troll the Canucks fanbase.

Good luck with the UFAs lol
There’s someone in the Canucks front office who likes messing with the media… or…. Just a really bad local media type who keeps pushing garbage out. They have to be the team, the most false reports come out about. Then when they do something, nobody seen it coming. Hronek….

The worst part is, they keep going back to the same well. Miller, Boeser, Garland, Demko, Miller, Boeser, Garland, Demko…. Whoever it is. It looks like they hate Americans.

Reactions: sting101

dazfos102

Jul 29, 2017
It be that the local media are angry that no leaks are coming out of the front office like in Benning day. As Ray Ferraro has stated on live TV a year ago he knows nothing that happening in the Canucks Front Office, and his wife Cammi is one of the AGM's at the Canucks. If he doesn't have a clue no one in the media does, not even Rick Dhaliwal. None of the staff will dare tip media of due to they know what Rutherford will do if he finds out, which is fire them.

Miller was always in rumours, due to near end of contract plus assest he could bring in due to near or PPG for previous 2 seasons, plus them having Horvat, as natural 2C. Plus final year Miller Horvat unsettlement the media were playing up and they decided to back the Canadian Horvat and blame the Yank Miller. But now looks like the players had no problems with Miller except maybe Horvat. Plus Horvat contract demands now getting 8x8.5m of NYI till 36, to Miller 7x8m till 37 years old.
Boeser due to how was playing, but everyone knows the hell he must have been going through hearing about his dad Duke deteriorating health in Minnesota and not being able to see him much due to Covid Restrictions. Plus him asking to be traded last year.
Demko mainly due to what he could bring back and would his injuries be concern for the future, plus now how well Silvos has been in the AHL last season and 2023 World Championship. But Silvos could do with another year in AHL, then 2 years as backup to Demko. So has chance as main starter when still 25.
Garland is due to has good contract, plays in position which well supplied on and has very good ES scoring to minutes played and lack of PP minutes.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
It blows my mind that Garland was thought to be a great deal at mid-late 1st round pick value when Vancouver picked him up, and now he's a cap dump. I'd take him in Winnipeg, why not?

The COVID affected flat cap is ruining the value of mid tier wingers. They are a luxury item and every decent team is capped out.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
if ottawa trades debrincat i can see ottawa being interested in garland/boeser. Especially with the canucks being in a tough spot cap wise. Seems like a classic ottawa move waiting to happen

OTC

Jul 11, 2018
What would Canucks - Chicago trade look like with both Garland and OEL going the other way?

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
I actually agree here. But the Canucks are in a pinch and the whole league knows it. Similar to how Ducks were asking Fletcher for two 1sts to take back JVR last summer. Just stupid ask for a decent player

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Here's an idea, why don't the Canucks stand pat, make no UFA signings, put their injured players on LTIR and get under the cap and trade players when they have positive value or let the contracts of pending UFA players run out?

Seemed like a good idea before they made the disastrous OEL trade; it may be worth considering again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad