Seravalli: Garland is a "free asset", teams want assets to take him

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

I think the "negative value" reputation Garland has is wildly undeserved, he's a much better player than a negative asset IMO. But it seems like all other teams know how much the Canucks want to move him, so the Canucks have no leverage. Where does he end up?

understand…you have about 15 teams who have a few players with salaries of around $3.5M-$5.5M with 1-3 yrs left who they would like to movie to create cap space.

of the teams with cap space you have two kinds….the rebuilding one and the contending ones. The rebuilding ones are going to ask for sweeteners. The contending teams, there aren’t many of them, they see some 40 or so players out there that teams are looking to trade.
then there are the UFAs they could sign for free.
teams aren’t betting what the cap will be in 2 years.

garland is going to be hard to move.

Reactions: The Real JT

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
I don't really get the blame for Garland's play, being put on the team. When he's on his game, he's a good player that is buzzing around the ice and pissing people off, but when he's not on his game, he takes lots of really poor-angle shots, gets bullied along the walls, and plays just die on his stick. I think it says a lot about his (in)consistency that he hasn't been able to solidify a spot beside 1 of EP/Miller for 2 seasons now.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Which team has the highest total cap tied up in players that have a negative trade value?

Canucks have to be near the top, don't they?

Reactions: McJedi and Tempo

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Kyle Dubas tried to bring Garland to Toronto at least twice when he was here. Now that he's in Pittsburgh I bet he tries to acquire Garland for Pittsburgh.

I have been on the Garland train for a while, I think he's a very good player in a bad situation and I would love to see him here to replace Alex Kerfoot.

If he can be had for free with assets I hope Brad Treliving takes the opportunity to add a skilled player, and restock the cupboard s little bit.

Reactions: Nona Di Giuseppe

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Imagine trading 9th overall for OEL and Garland and then paying to get rid of them. This is why it's become difficult to be a Canucks fan. This is the normal for us and has been for about 10 years.

Ah well, the bure years, the naz-bert years, and the sedin years were fun. The petterson-hughes years are being ruined by mismanagement.

The state of team management in Canada is so abysmal it's almost hard to believe.

nergish

Jun 1, 2019
This is because he’s short right!?!
Literally yes.

I’ve been lucky enough to watch every Nucks game with my Dad this past season. My old man is constantly commenting on how noticeable Garland is on the ice.

He has superstar abilities, just severe size limitations.

Reactions: Play

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I don't know if it counts as "assets" to take Garland, but whether it's him or Boeser, all I would ask for in Nashville is the pick swap 11 down to 15. Depending on who you like as Vancouver, you could even end up getting the same player.

Reactions: Armourboy

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Bratt for Hughes and Garland. They might have to add more because of Garland but this will do for now....

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
Worse run franchise in professional sports

If you mean Vancouver, I think it’s in the bottom tier but not worst.

The state of team management in Canada is so abysmal it's almost hard to believe.
Do People realize the guy who made the OEL/Garland trade doesn’t work here any more?

The new guys haven’t done anything bad yet, though many would say not doing a full rebuild in Hughes and Pettersson’s prime is a mistake.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
Do People realize the guy who made the OEL/Garland trade doesn’t work here any more?

The new guys haven’t done anything bad yet, though many would say not doing a full rebuild in Hughes and Pettersson’s prime is a mistake.
He signed Boeser to a contract he can’t move and traded a first and second to paint himself into a corner with the cap.

He also signed Miller instead of trading him for assets when it was clear the team needed a major shake up and the team still had Horvat.

Traded Dickinson for a second and then added more wingers to an already overload wing that is expensive and appears to not be movable.

Keeps telling us that this cap business isn’t a big deal and doesn’t seem to value the cap appropriately.

Yup, doing a bang up job!

Also set the team up to make a run after it was clear they had no chance at the playoffs while looking at one of the deep drafts in recent memory.

As a Canucks fan, I’m not sure how you can look at this and not wonder if we could have done better.

Last edited:

lawrence

May 19, 2012
It blows my mind that Garland was thought to be a great deal at mid-late 1st round pick value when Vancouver picked him up, and now he's a cap dump. I'd take him in Winnipeg, why not?

He’s really not a bad player. It’s not like he’s a low iq or a liability by any means. I feel some teams not comfortable with a player with 4 years left at 5 million. But who knows. He was decent at the world championship. I think he ends up staying.

Reactions: Play

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Imagine trading 9th overall for OEL and Garland and then paying to get rid of them. This is why it's become difficult to be a Canucks fan. This is the normal for us and has been for about 10 years.

Ah well, the bure years, the naz-bert years, and the sedin years were fun. The petterson-hughes years are being ruined by mismanagement.

Was just thinking this myself. We gave up 9th overall and now we might be paying to dump Garland and possibly buyout OEL at some point.

And yet there are still some people who will insist Benning wasn't an absolute buffoon who should never be allowed to GM again.

It blows my mind that Garland was thought to be a great deal at mid-late 1st round pick value when Vancouver picked him up, and now he's a cap dump. I'd take him in Winnipeg, why not?

The sad reality is he wasn't. Benning legitimately thought OEL was a top line defensemen. He even outright said as much. So in his mind he was giving up fair "value".

Reactions: oceanchild

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
He signed Boeser to a contract he can’t move and traded a first and second to paint himself into a corner with the cap. He also signed Miller instead of trading him for assets when it was clear the team needed a major shake up and still have Horvat. Traded Dickinson for a second and then added more wingers to an already overload wing that is expensive and appears to not be movable.

Keeps telling us that this cap business isn’t a big deal and doesn’t seem to value the cap appropriately.

Yup, doing a bang up job!

Also set the team up to make a run after it was clear they had no chance at the playoffs while looking at one of the deep drafts in recent memory.

As a Canucks fan, I’m not sure how you can look at this and wonder if we could have done better.
I don’t want to get in an OT fight about management so to keep it on topic I’ll just say that even if you disagree with these moves they pale in comparison to the Garland/OEL trade, which is probably the main cause of the ‘worst run franchise in history’ comments.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
I don’t want to get in an OT fight about management so to keep it on topic I’ll just say that even if you disagree with these moves they pale in comparison to the Garland/OEL trade, which is probably the main cause of the ‘worst run franchise in history’ comments.
One of the worst trades in NHL history seems like a generous benchmark that is easy to beat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad