Post-Game Talk: Garbage Refs can't stop the Jets, 5-4 winners in OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlaskaJet

Retrieves pucks and ducks
Sep 29, 2017
Olympia, Washington (from Ft. Garry)
Another reason is faceoffs are just 100 per cent luck over the course of a season.

IIRC the record for lowest team faceoff percentage in a season is something like 45 per cent.

I remember in 2.0 season one, the Jets were rocking a 40 per cent faceoff percentage and they were on pace to have the worst-ever percentage.
Positive thoughts..always welcome..
I just recalled how many sloppy faceoff battles are actually won behind the opposition a second later..
Onwards..

Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
rofl, knights strap comes loose and he shakes his helmet off while the blues have control of the puck down low and they instantly blow it dead and the announcers say as soon as the mask comes off you blow the whistle.... this is f***ing comical

Posted this in the Jason Robertson thread that suddenly turned about that play, but this was from 2017 :

"Immediate"

Fix the rules so idiot refs and the idiots in Toronto have less impact, as always.

Also an article from ingoalmag talking about how stupid and unsafe this rule is for goalies.

Dumb NHL is Dumb lol

Slimy Sculpin

Dec 29, 2013
Another reason is faceoffs are just 100 per cent luck over the course of a season.

IIRC the record for lowest team faceoff percentage in a season is something like 45 per cent.

I remember in 2.0 season one, the Jets were rocking a 40 per cent faceoff percentage and they were on pace to have the worst-ever percentage.
Re: importance of faceoff wins. I posted this in a Jets thread about three weeks ago: (a cut and paste)

"Earlier in this thread, there was some discussion about the importance (or lack of) of winning faceoffs.

Generally speaking, at the end of the regular season, about one-half of the teams will be >50% for FOW with the other half, of course, below 50%.

If your team is >50% FOW, you just might find yourself in the playoffs:

2017-18: 9 of the 16 playoff teams were >50% FOW
2018-19: 12 of 16 with >50% FOW made playoffs
2019-2020: 9 of 16
2020-2021: 11 of 16
2021-2022: 11 of 16

Interestingly, the Jets from the 2017-18 season through last season were slightly above 50% FOW with the 2017-18 team having a very good 52.4%.

Although the Jets are currently in a "playoff position", their current FOW is 44.6%, one of the lowest values of the 32 teams."

Personally, I think that having control of the puck immediately after a face-off is quite important.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Re: importance of faceoff wins. I posted this in a Jets thread about three weeks ago: (a cut and paste)

"Earlier in this thread, there was some discussion about the importance (or lack of) of winning faceoffs.

Generally speaking, at the end of the regular season, about one-half of the teams will be >50% for FOW with the other half, of course, below 50%.

Interestingly, the Jets from the 2017-18 season through last season were slightly above 50% FOW with the 2017-18 team having a very good 52.4%.

Although the Jets are currently in a "playoff position", their current FOW is 44.6%, one of the lowest values of the 32 teams."

Personally, I think that having control of the puck immediately after a face-off is quite important.

But that's the problem - the best team at faceoffs in the league will win 55 per cent of faceoffs, and the worst team will win 45 per cent.

Add in neutral zone faceoffs, scramble faceoffs, faceoffs that are immediately followed by a change of possession, and the juice just isn't worth the squeeze.

If it were 65/35, maybe it would be worth it, but tracking faceoff wins as a team is about as useful as tracking coin flips.

Last edited:

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Positive thoughts..always welcome..
I just recalled how many sloppy faceoff battles are actually won behind the opposition a second later..
Onwards..
And I've been in press boxes with the guys tracking faceoffs - the centre could cleanly lose, but the oppo winger bobbles it, then turns it over, and the centre gets the faceoff "win'

Reactions: AlaskaJet

NorCalhockey

Jan 6, 2017
Bieksa called it. "Blow the whistle". Hrudy said they followed the rules. Hrudy always has to be better than the goalies currently playing.
Yes indeed. Like Bieksa said, net comes off = whistle blows, so goalie helmet coming off = whistle blows. And was it Elliotte who said a GM (Eliotte didn’t give the guy’s name) said he would support changing the rules so whistle blows when the goalie’s helmet is off.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019

Can you suss out defensive zone faceoffs? Losing lots of those would be a stronger signal for me

You could argue all kinds of things about your correlation (not causation) between faceoffs and making thr playoffs. The obvious one to me would be that playoff teams have better centres so they win more faceoffs - but it's their play outside the faceoff circle that get rhe results you're alluding to

AlaskaJet

Retrieves pucks and ducks
Sep 29, 2017
Olympia, Washington (from Ft. Garry)
And I've been in press boxes with the guys tracking faceoffs - the centre could cleanly lose, but the oppo winger bobbles it, then turns it over, and the centre gets the faceoff "win'
Right on! Hockey is not like rugby on ice with sticks..a good hockey team can ruck and maul and get in behind a scrum after puck drop and get it back after a clean loss..Like you say, “the juice is not worth the squeeze!” 😂

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com
I think Babych sported a better one
8445208.jpg

Slimy Sculpin

Dec 29, 2013
Can you suss out defensive zone faceoffs? Losing lots of those would be a stronger signal for me

You could argue all kinds of things about your correlation (not causation) between faceoffs and making thr playoffs. The obvious one to me would be that playoff teams have better centres so they win more faceoffs - but it's their play outside the faceoff circle that get rhe results you're alluding to

I imagine one could. (All I did was a 15 minute math exercise with stats available on nhl.com.) And, all I stated/implied was that if a team had a >50% faceoff win (all faceoffs) record in the regular season, it appeared to me that it had a better chance of making the playoffs than one that didn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad