GDT: Game vs Tampa: We Need McDavid Clones another afternoon game 3pm

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
images

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
:teach:

The 4th round pick was decided last game Montoya played. This is going to be his 8th game if he plays against the Lightning. The trade was for a 5th unless he plays in 7 games then it becomes a 4th. It's done and official already.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

The 4th round pick was decided last game Montoya played. This is going to be his 8th game if he plays against the Lightning. The trade was for a 5th unless he plays in 7 games then it becomes a 4th. It's done and official already.

Will actually only be #7 tonight since one of his previous games was less than 30 mins played. Has to play at least 30 for it to count as one of the 7 games.

Oh well though, this org has never cared about the little things like this. No small losses can't be cancelled out by hiring another OBC member ;)

Reactions: Consultant

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
You don't think it's pointless to give away a 4th for a 5th for no reason? What's the point? It's not necessarily about the value of the picks, it's the principle of mismanaging an asset no matter how minor.

Not really. I mean I’d rather not do it but in the grand scheme of things it doesn’t matter much.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Not really. I mean I’d rather not do it but in the grand scheme of things it doesn’t matter much.

It doesn't matter much but as I said, it's the principle of intentionally mismanaging an asset and shows (no matter how minor) a level of incompetence.

Reactions: Consultant

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Nah. What it says to me is they were willing to give up a 4th for Montoya all along.

But why give up a 4th if they could easily give up a 5th, why does he have to play now? If they were in a playoff race, I would understand but why now?
I know I'm coming off as nitpicking something so trivial but it just doesn't make sense to me.

Also, why push for the condition if they planned all along to give up the 4th?

Last edited:

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Don't see how we're gonna beat TB. We're not good enough, but will be watching for McPoints. This game is essentially McDavid vs Kucherov for me. McDavid usually beats his peers in head to head competition, hoping for McDavid to take the Art Ross lead.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Th
But why give up a 4th if they could easily give up a 5th, why does he have to play now? If they were in a playoff race, I would understand but why now?
I know I'm coming off as nitpicking something so trivial but it just doesn't make sense to me.

Also, why push for the condition if they planned all along to give up the 4th?

The fact at the time the Habs were about to have 3 healthy goalies what annoys me. Montoya was About to be on waivers

Consultant

Sep 12, 2010
Allowing a fourth rounder to go instead of a fifth for one back up game is simply dumb.
Today is his 7th game with over 30 minutes unless they pull him after under 30 minutes... giving away the 100th pick for the 130th. So dumb, they should have given Ellis a start.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond

Probably because the Oilers acquired Montoya with the full intent that he was going to be their main backup for both this year and next, and that a 4th round pick wasn't that big a price to pay for that.

Sure, the Oilers could play games with Montoya, sit him even on days like a back to back where Talbot could use a game off and throw Talbot out there again and again...but that just seems like an unprofessional way to treat a couple of NHL veterans. I imagine they had the stipulation thrown in to make the pick a little worse if it was plainly obvious that Montoya was a worse option than Brossoit. He hasn't been, so they've stuck with him.

It's like when then-coach MacT thought it'd be a great idea to swap out Conklin for Biron in the shootout because Biron was riding a shootout hot streak that season in that one game, even though Conklin had played the whole game and done well to even get them to the shootout. From a purely number crunching perspective the swap made sense, but ultimately it backfired as Biron lost that shootout, and Conklin was clearly disgusted after the game with the lack of faith his coach showed in him.

If you want to blame someone, blame Brossoit for failing to seize the opportunity when the team gave him the chance to be the full time backup. If he had, the Montoya acquisition would have never needed to happen.

Barry Amsterdam

Nättias Dänielstrom
Apr 2, 2013
Caps fan. Is RNH with Mcdavid now? I’ve always wanted to see them together. How long has it been and how have they looked together

Reactions: ujju2

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
The Tampa board is surprisingly negative for a team that's as good as they are.

They're also expecting many power play points.... How do I tell them that not only does our power play suck ass, but we only get 1 or 2 a game?

Reactions: snipes

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Probably because the Oilers acquired Montoya with the full intent that he was going to be their main backup for both this year and next, and that a 4th round pick wasn't that big a price to pay for that.

Sure, the Oilers could play games with Montoya, sit him even on days like a back to back where Talbot could use a game off and throw Talbot out there again and again...but that just seems like an unprofessional way to treat a couple of NHL veterans. I imagine they had the stipulation thrown in to make the pick a little worse if it was plainly obvious that Montoya was a worse option than Brossoit. He hasn't been, so they've stuck with him.

It's like when then-coach MacT thought it'd be a great idea to swap out Conklin for Biron in the shootout because Biron was riding a shootout hot streak that season in that one game, even though Conklin had played the whole game and done well to even get them to the shootout. From a purely number crunching perspective the swap made sense, but ultimately it backfired as Biron lost that shootout, and Conklin was clearly disgusted after the game with the lack of faith his coach showed in him.

If you want to blame someone, blame Brossoit for failing to seize the opportunity when the team gave him the chance to be the full time backup. If he had, the Montoya acquisition would have never needed to happen.

Your explanation is plausible but they have already seen Montoya 7 times and he's a veteran who is what he is at this point so why was it necessary to get the 8th look to purposely downgrade a pick? They should know what he is by now. I know that Talbot needs some rest so why not give a young guy a start or two to close out the season or at least space out Montoya's starts earlier so there's room to play him a few times down the stretch and give Talbot a few back to backs off.

Again, I know this is a petty gripe, but it just seemed like an unnecessary move to intentionally downgrade an asset. I actually agree with JTS for maybe the first time ever, they probably could have plucked Montoya off of waivers in the first place since Montreal by all indications was going to release him.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
The Tampa board is surprisingly negative for a team that's as good as they are.

They're also expecting many power play points.... How do I tell them that not only does our power play suck ass, but we only get 1 or 2 a game?

I still cannot get over how few PP's this team draws. Has a small amount to do with the amount of cycling but that is not the entire story.

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
I still cannot get over how few PP's this team draws. Has a small amount to do with the amount of cycling but that is not the entire story.

Anyone who watches hockey knows that less than half of the penalties that actually occur throughout the game are called. The only determining factor over how many power plays a team gets is how many penalties the refs feel like calling.

Too bad the refs don't feel like giving us power plays very often.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005

I love when people use that emoji and give fake news. That being said...

Mike Morrison.

:D

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Your explanation is plausible but they have already seen Montoya 7 times and he's a veteran who is what he is at this point so why was it necessary to get the 8th look to purposely downgrade a pick? They should know what he is by now. I know that Talbot needs some rest so why not give a young guy a start or two to close out the season or at least space out Montoya's starts earlier so there's room to play him a few times down the stretch and give Talbot a few back to backs off.

Again, I know this is a petty gripe, but it just seemed like an unnecessary move to intentionally downgrade an asset. I actually agree with JTS for maybe the first time ever, they probably could have plucked Montoya off of waivers in the first place since Montreal by all indications was going to release him.

As long as Montoya is healthy and capable, calling up a 3rd goalie to play ahead of him just so you can be a skinflint with a late round pick...if I were Montoya's shoes I would feel a bit insulted. Organizations who treat their players with respect don't screw around like that, at least in my opinion.

And yeah, maybe Chiarelli could've waited a bit for the chance he went on the waiver wire and grabbed him then, but there's no guarantee he would've been around, given how many teams that could've been ahead of them on the waiver wire it's not out of the realm of possibility that he would've been picked up by someone else.

Anyway, there's plenty of more important and relevant hills to plant the "Chiarelli is incompetent" flag on. This doesn't strike me as one worth the effort.

Reactions: ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad