TV: Game of Thrones | Season 8 (Final) | Part IX -TV talk ONLY -NO Books, Spoilers, NO LEAKS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
D&D still follow Martin. The dialogue is probably all Weiss and Benioff but anything major they have to get by GRRM and its stupid to think otherwise. You really think Martin isnt going to have Littlerfinger die, or "die", in the same manner? He wouldnt have his books differ so greatly from the show and would not let the show dictate his story

Reactions: Blender

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
D&D still follow Martin. The dialogue is probably all Weiss and Benioff but anything major they have to get by GRRM and its stupid to think otherwise. You really think Martin isnt going to have Littlerfinger die, or "die", in the same manner? He wouldnt have his books differ so greatly from the show and would not let the show dictate his story

I'm not completely sold on this post, but I do agree that the setup has long been that Sansa would kill/eliminate Littlefinger. GRRM does like to go against expectations though so we'll see. If we could just get the books we'd know dammit! haha.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

That's not a discussion we can have here unfortunately, see the thread title.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
I'm not completely sold on this post, but I do agree that the setup has long been that Sansa would kill/eliminate Littlefinger. GRRM does like to go against expectations though so we'll see. If we could just get the books we'd know dammit! haha.

Well I wasnt specifically referring to LF dying just that its crazy to think GRRM had no discussion about it and likely was his idea, like Shireens burning which people thought the show just made up. I doubt Weiss and Benioff would do something like that with a major character without talking to George

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
Well I wasnt specifically referring to LF dying just that its crazy to think GRRM had no discussion about it and likely was his idea, like Shireens burning which people thought the show just made up. I doubt Weiss and Benioff would do something like that with a major character without talking to George

The problem is George has gone on record that he may change up some things if he liked or disliked how the show went. Also the show has truncated story lines and some characters and such. They're not entirely the same at this point.

I hope that was vague enough.......

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
The problem is George has gone on record that he may change up some things if he liked or disliked how the show went. Also the show has truncated story lines and some characters and such. They're not entirely the same at this point.

I hope that was vague enough.......

I understand things may be changed that is why I specifically said a major character, as in something/someone so big wont be different, or different enough, from the mediums. Littlefingers, the wall, Stannis qualify as this

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Is it possible the reason for the Night King heading south is to get Gilly's baby?

Seems a little too simplified, but it shouldn't be entirely ruled out

The more I think about it, the more I believe Gilly's baby is what the Night King is after

Reactions: NyQuil

kmart

Jan 23, 2008
I disagree

I loved it and it showed his arrogance in thinking his plans would always work

its was not really his arrogance or arya and sansa but the vision ability of bran that got him killed. he exposed his backstabbing from season1... and after that they more or less figured it out by themselves that everything he did was ruthless and always for his advantage to gain power. if there is something weak about his death it is the fact that he played the game at all up in the north against 2 unexperienced teenage girls(they never had any real power to begin with). it was not fair from the start u could sense the unexpected turn from a mile away.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Wait people liked the LF plot in Season 7?
I wouldn't say I liked it, or liked every aspect of it in an entertainment sense, but I thought Littlefinger being done in by his own mistakes was the natural progression of the character. When he was manipulating small events to cause big problems that he could take advantage of, he was a master. When he started trying to play with the big dogs on a grand scale, he was over his head. There were too many variables for him to possibly control, and he had to rely too much on the claims and influence of others, such as Sansa.

Littlefinger isn't Varys and never has been. He's always been a master at scheming on a small scale, even when those schemes caused massive changes, but grand strategy is difficult for someone who is constantly trying to cause chaos, since you don't know how things will actually work out.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I wouldn't say I liked it, or liked every aspect of it in an entertainment sense, but I thought Littlefinger being done in by his own mistakes was the natural progression of the character. When he was manipulating small events to cause big problems that he could take advantage of, he was a master. When he started trying to play with the big dogs on a grand scale, he was over his head. There were too many variables for him to possibly control, and he had to rely too much on the claims and influence of others, such as Sansa.

Littlefinger isn't Varys and never has been. He's always been a master at scheming on a small scale, even when those schemes caused massive changes, but grand strategy is difficult for someone who is constantly trying to cause chaos, since you don't know how things will actually work out.
What mistakes did he make in the last season that influenced Sansa and Arya executing him? It seemed like the major catalyst was Bran knowing about Littlefinger's betrayal, and the "game" that Littlefinger and Sansa were playing wasn't really a game, because there was barely any attempts at deceit or any active decision by Sansa to actually determine the truth. We got a fake conflict between Arya and Sansa that was meant to make us think Sansa was going to kill her sister, then completely turn it around and say "well actually we know everything about Littlefinger somehow and will kill him in front of everyone with no trail, see ya".

It was a victim of the short season and needed to be fleshed out. It wasn't, and Littlefinger's comeuppance was poorly done.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005

What mistakes did he make in the last season that influenced Sansa and Arya executing him? It seemed like the major catalyst was Bran knowing about Littlefinger's betrayal, and the "game" that Littlefinger and Sansa were playing wasn't really a game, because there was barely any attempts at deceit or any active decision by Sansa to actually determine the truth. We got a fake conflict between Arya and Sansa that was meant to make us think Sansa was going to kill her sister, then completely turn it around and say "well actually we know everything about Littlefinger somehow and will kill him in front of everyone with no trail, see ya".

It was a victim of the short season and needed to be fleshed out. It wasn't, and Littlefinger's comeuppance was poorly done.

Littlefinger only made one mistake.

Bran. If not for him lil' sis would be imprisoned/dead. He didn't do his homework on the cripple because...well...he was just a self-isolated cripple.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
When I found out there would be no GoT this year I figured it would be a good time to re-watch the whole series. I've been trying to avoid watching more than 2 or 3 episodes a week to stretch it out. Last night after the games, I landed on season 3 ep.9. Yeah that one. Even though I knew what was coming, I was still stressed out in anticipation. :laugh: Just goes to show what a great series this is, even after the first viewing it still impresses.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Littlefinger only made one mistake.

Bran. If not for him lil' sis would be imprisoned/dead. He didn't do his homework on the cripple because...well...he was just a self-isolated cripple.
Hard to use Bran as a mistake moreso than crappy writing, considering Bran points out the very likelihood something is up with his "Chaos is a ladder" statement, which seems to indicate he knows or could easily know about Littlefinger's plot to betray his father. But Bran doesn't tell anyone on screen about this supposed knowledge, allows Littlefinger the time to potentially run away (and it is never known whether Littlefinger tries to do so because we never see it), and his involvement is completely ignored until the final episode where he says "oh yeah I knew all along."

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Hard to use Bran as a mistake moreso than crappy writing, considering Bran points out the very likelihood something is up with his "Chaos is a ladder" statement, which seems to indicate he knows or could easily know about Littlefinger's plot to betray his father. But Bran doesn't tell anyone on screen about this supposed knowledge, allows Littlefinger the time to potentially run away (and it is never known whether Littlefinger tries to do so because we never see it), and his involvement is completely ignored until the final episode where he says "oh yeah I knew all along."

Bran may have just heard that turn of phrase. That Bran is all-knowing and can see anything is something you could see LF overlooking as a possibility. I'm not saying it was perfect, but you can see it as possible. Did they not also cut a scene between Sansa and Bran for surprise reasons?

The Night King

Mar 25, 2014
California
When I found out there would be no GoT this year I figured it would be a good time to re-watch the whole series. I've been trying to avoid watching more than 2 or 3 episodes a week to stretch it out. Last night after the games, I landed on season 3 ep.9. Yeah that one. Even though I knew what was coming, I was still stressed out in anticipation. :laugh: Just goes to show what a great series this is, even after the first viewing it still impresses.
Lol I may have to watch the series a third time while I wait for S8. Probably in the Fall.

Reactions: McGuires Corndog
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad