GDT: Game 9: Columbus vs. New Jersey | 10/22 7PM EDT

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Agreed, but I think it may be worth noting that Dubi has a long history with the Devils, so that may play a part, as well.

If Duby's response was a matter of "pride", I would say that is good. We need guys who play with "pride".

You are going to get the good with the bad with a prideful, high energy guy like Dubinsky, and I don't for one minute regret having him on this squad.

Love Dubinsky's passion and fire. Glad to have him as a Jacket. Punching a guy with your gloves on when he's on the ice and never agreed to go is classless and dangerous, history or not, big check or not, sending a message or not, pride or not.

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
It was nice to see some life from Wiz last night. Maybe he should have the flu all the time. Atkinson and Johansen are quickly becoming two of the better young players we've ever had. I really like that Joey is starting to use his size and reach to his advantage, he's really going to be a fan favorite. As for Atkinson, he just has sick mitts and has a nose for the goal. Gaborik is also noticeable every game. I don't know what the plan with him is going forward, but I would love to see him here long term, he is still a game changing type of player.

I'm going to continue to say this until the front office and coaching staff wises up, and I'm going to yell here, MAKE DUBINSKY THE CAPTAIN. To me it is so blatantly obvious that he's the leader, that they should stop wasting time and give him the C yesterday.

I'll pose this question here, I like the lineup on the ice now, starting to see some of the desperation of last season. With extra D and Horton another 1-2 months away, does GMJK entertain the thought of trading a guy like Nikitin and whoever gets bumped out when Horton to clear a spot to bring up Erixon or Goloubef to fill the extra D spot and possibly acquire some secondary scoring? Just spitballin'.

fox2usp

Inbred Cat
Jul 2, 2008
Pumpkinville, Ohio
Am I the only one who liked Duby's show of aggression there? If he's really captain material like we hear, I don't think he didn't understand the time and place of that; but taking exception to a hit like that in a time like that could have fired the team up (more) and implied his confidence in the team picking him up for the penalty.

Or it was a flash of anger and I'm not going to knock him for it. Not on a 2 point, +3 night and on a team that has needed that kind of moxie for a long time now.

:dunno:

I totally agree. It was a clean hit, but a run on Duby nonetheless. I think it sent the message you're gonna pay if you make a run like that. I had no problem with Duby's reaction. The whole team needs that attitude. I liked it.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I'm going to continue to say this until the front office and coaching staff wises up, and I'm going to yell here, MAKE DUBINSKY THE CAPTAIN. To me it is so blatantly obvious that he's the leader, that they should stop wasting time and give him the C yesterday.

The principal difference between Dubi as he is now and Dubi with a C is that he'd be the first guy who'd have to talk to the refs when something goes wrong.

I think I'd rather stick with the "no official leader" policy and have First Citizen Dubinsky delegate such responsibilities to another alternate so that the refs don't turn on us. :)

Maybe we should put a "P" on his shirt for "Princeps" or something...

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
Love Dubinsky's passion and fire. Glad to have him as a Jacket. Punching a guy with your gloves on when he's on the ice and never agreed to go is classless and dangerous, history or not, big check or not, sending a message or not, pride or not.

No argument on any of that, here. My point regarding history was not an excuse but a possible additional factor to be considered.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
I'd just like everyone to note:

With Richards at the helm, the Jackets are 29-0-0 when leading after 2 periods.

Arniel seemed to blow game after game when going into defend lead mode, so it's awesome to see that Richards and the guys don't let up in the third period. That's the way it should be.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn

The hitting him while he's down thing is overblown. He maybe hit him twice while he was down/on the way down. It's not like Volchenkov was out cold and Dubinsky was sitting on his chest throwing haymakers. To me he let up pretty quickly and the hitting him while he was down was no less dangerous than the hit he took.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
The hitting him while he's down thing is overblown. He maybe hit him twice while he was down/on the way down. It's not like Volchenkov was out cold and Dubinsky was sitting on his chest throwing haymakers. To me he let up pretty quickly and the hitting him while he was down was no less dangerous than the hit he took.

Difference is, of course, the hit was legal and the punches were not.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
(This has been said in every thread but...)

Is it even possible to give enough praise to David Savard? The guy's a totally different player than he was last year. I still can't believe that the player I watched fumble the puck during a critical LA game last year is quickly becoming the most reliable defender for the Jackets.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
Difference is, of course, the hit was legal and the punches were not.

Which is why he went to the box.

Where he stayed for 2 minutes and then returned to the ice with not a hint of a call from the league about it.

If Dubinsky's response to the hit was such sacrilege, why aren't there any repercussions?

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
Pete was nice enough to comment on the Devils board about the fans at the game last night and I meant to come over and say good game so I'll just share what I posted about the game here too;

I've gone to almost every game the Devils have played in Columbus and despite some lean years with the team and the economy - the fans there are great. Passionate and polite, and the staff is exceptional as well. The arena still is one of the best around and I can't believe how much it's grown up in the district there with even more coming. The ballpark was a great addition and only bolsters the entertainment value of the area for families. More places to eat, shop, live all within blocks - it's really a point of pride for the city and fans.

And I love that damn cannon! It's a love/hate thing obviously.

I could do with less ex-rangers scoring however.

I expect a little less politeness as the metro division rivalry begins to grow from seeing each other more often but really - great product for fan experience Columbus puts out there. GG and see you again December 10th. ;)

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
(This has been said in every thread but...)

Is it even possible to give enough praise to David Savard? The guy's a totally different player than he was last year. I still can't believe that the player I watched fumble the puck during a critical LA game last year is quickly becoming the most reliable defender for the Jackets.

funny how a lot of us thought he was just being showcased for a trade, and turns out he's been (arguably?) our best defenseman so far...

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC

Where he stayed for 2 minutes and then returned to the ice with not a hint of a call from the league about it.

If Dubinsky's response to the hit was such sacrilege, why aren't there any repercussions?

The repercussions were two minutes off the ice, I didn't imply more was needed. It wasn't a smart move, at the time, which he later acknowledged. I'm a bit tired of the common response to legal hits, but it's understandable, the game is rough and it's played by tough, emotional people. Understanding and approving are different things, though.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
Pete was nice enough to comment on the Devils board about the fans at the game last night and I meant to come over and say good game so I'll just share what I posted about the game here too;

I expect a little less politeness as the metro division rivalry begins to grow from seeing each other more often but really - great product for fan experience Columbus puts out there. GG and see you again December 10th. ;)

As I said, glad you enjoyed the event and looking forward to future match ups.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

If you can't see the difference or don't care to, I guess we're done here.

So the league always gets "repercussions" right? I could not care less about repercussions. I am cool with Dubi taking up for himself, but not cool with how it went down.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
If you can't see the difference or don't care to, I guess we're done here.

So if a penalty isn't called, it's classy, and if one is called, it's "classless"? Is the difference that I can't or choose not to see the "legality" of the two actions?

There's a penalty box for a reason and it was used properly last night. I guess we are done here.

So the league always gets "repercussions" right? I could not care less about repercussions. I am cool with Dubi taking up for himself, but not cool with how it went down.

The league, blogs, opposing teammates... the only place this is being whined about is in this thread (disclosure, I haven't read the NJ thread)

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
So if a penalty isn't called, it's classy, and if one is called, it's "classless"? Is the difference that I can't or choose not to see the "legality" of the two actions?

There's a penalty box for a reason and it was used properly last night. I guess we are done here.

The league, blogs, opposing teammates... the only place this is being whined about is in this thread (disclosure, I haven't read the NJ thread)

I'm whining?

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008

I'm with you.

Dubinski basically gave the guy a big time facial. Not a big deal in any way. The fans loved it to boot. The Jackets had a two goal lead at the time, so the timing of the Dubinski's "liberties" was very appropriate.

First game that I've been to/watched this year. Team looked good. Gotta love Wiz. 3 points and I think he had 4 or 5 turnovers on a single shift:laugh:

Atkinson's backhander was something I haven't seen in.....I can't remember. He was near the top of the circle when he unleashed it. A 30 foot backhand goal probably happens less than a couple times per year in the NHL, AHL and ECHL combined. Neat to see.

Nice midweek crowd. Bob looked superb. Thought JJ had a nice game. 4-5 is a hell of lot better than 3-6. Beat the Leafs on Friday to get to .500 and the bad start has been overcome.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Only problem I have with this game is that Umby had 4 minutes more than Cam, and 3 more than Gabby. What does that accomplish? :shakehead:

Last I checked; a 4-1 win. Johansen and RJ are playing well together right now. Don't let RJ's whipping boy status blind you to the fact that his play is improving game by game. That line is starting to produce at a second line pace and turning out to be a pretty good line to throw out against who you want to shut down.

I can say I'd rather have RJ and Johansen out there trying to protect a lead over Gabby or Atkinson.

One thing to keep in mind. RJ might have had more minutes, but he had the same number of shifts.

jackets4life

Jan 16, 2013
Section 203
Nice midweek crowd.

Absolutely! In my neck of the woods (206) there were a lot of school groups but if I'm the Blue Jackets I'll take 14,000+ on a Tuesday night in October vs New Jersey 11 times out of 10, doesn't matter who you get in the building or how, just matters that you get them in there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad