GDT: Game 9: Columbus vs. New Jersey | 10/22 7PM EDT

Jorge

Actor,Comedian,Drunk
Jan 11, 2011
Clintonville
Am I the only one who liked Duby's show of aggression there?

No, I loved it. Maybe not the best time to go to the box, but I don't care. Years of our guys getting pushed around, teams taking runs at our guys...Now we have some guys who aren't going to put up with it. :nod:

NJ may be bad this year, but I don't care. Very satisfying game.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Am I the only one who liked Duby's show of aggression there? If he's really captain material like we hear, I don't think he didn't understand the time and place of that; but taking exception to a hit like that in a time like that could have fired the team up (more) and implied his confidence in the team picking him up for the penalty.

Or it was a flash of anger and I'm not going to knock him for it. Not on a 2 point, +3 night and on a team that has needed that kind of moxie for a long time now.

:dunno:

If it were a dirty hit or if someone drilled someone else like that I would have been OK with it, but it was a good clean hit and Dubi was taking shots while the guy was on the ice.

jackets4life

Jan 16, 2013
Section 203
Part of me liked seeing Dubinsky react the way he did and the other part of me shook my head. We'll see if the league takes any action against him, I've seen lesser offenses get fines/suspensions before.

I don't think anyone should be complaining about Wisniewski tonight. Other than a couple of iffy shifts I thought he was solid on D and obviously his play in the offensive zone speaks for itself.

Liked Cam's confidence to shoot from where he was on that play. As he said in the postgame, that goal doesn't happen without Jenner's screen, so good on both of them.

Bob seemed much more comfortable tonight, probably didn't have to be great to win but he was when it was necessary.

Even though Johansen didn't find the scoresheet tonight, I think he's for real this year. Consistently good play at both ends of the ice in my opinion, seems very confident in his game, no matter who he's going up against. Great to see.

Looking forward to Friday night, big game with the Leafs coming to town. Should be a great one. Keep on rolling boys!

GoJackets1

Someday.
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Only problem I have with this game is that Umby had 4 minutes more than Cam, and 3 more than Gabby. What does that accomplish? :shakehead:

bizzz*

Liked Cam's confidence to shoot from where he was on that play. As he said in the postgame, that goal doesn't happen without Jenner's screen, so good on both of them.
And Wiz's goal doesn't happen without the pressure Jenner put on Harrold forcing turnover.

Seedtype

Aug 16, 2009
Ohio?!?!
-Nice bounceback for Bob tonight.
-Wiz should be sick more often.
-Johansen is becoming amazing.:amazed:
-Atkinson, what can I say, love ya kid.
-I love how ticked off Johnson was at Jagr, that was the game's turning point.
-Fourth line is starting to look like the fourth line we had last year. Good.
-I love that we are crashing the net on the powerplay, that was really missing at the very beginning of the season.
-As for Dubi flipping out, I appreciate his emotion, but I don't think that was the right thing to do at that point in the game. Doubt he gets anything, but we'll see.
-A solid game and a solid win.

Friday and Sunday will be very good tests for us. I'm hoping that we'll look back at last Sunday as the rock-bottom part of the season.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
No, I loved it. Maybe not the best time to go to the box, but I don't care. Years of our guys getting pushed around, teams taking runs at our guys...Now we have some guys who aren't going to put up with it. :nod:

I'm right there with ya on this. It looked to me the Devils player left his feet to make that hit, but maybe not. Doesn't matter to me.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
I'm right there with ya on this. It looked to me the Devils player left his feet to make that hit, but maybe not. Doesn't matter to me.

Like I said before, I was watching a crappy internet stream (my new excuse for faulty analyses??) but to me it looked like Volchenkov certainly propelled his shoulder up high on Duby. I doubt he left his feet or it'd have been called (well...) and he missed his head. But if I was on the receiving end of that hit I would have felt targeted, and I don't mind the reaction at all.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Dubinsky said personal pride was the reason he shucked his gloves and went after Devils defenseman Anton Volchenkov in the third period. Dubinsky took a roughing minor and allowed it wasn’t the best timing (the Blue Jackets were leading 3-1 with 9:36 remaining and said he had no issue with the open-ice he absorbed – it was “clean,” Dubinsky said – but “you’ve got to let guys know you can’t take runs.”

I can deal with it now

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I can deal with it now

I still don't like it. There's no way a player as tough as Volchenkov is going to avoid running Dubi next time, and he's even more likely to do it if his teams down and he knows he can goad Dubi into a dumb penalty. That kind of "personal pride" is a liability if you don't know when to use it.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
I still don't like it. There's no way a player as tough as Volchenkov is going to avoid running Dubi next time, and he's even more likely to do it if his teams down and he knows he can goad Dubi into a dumb penalty. That kind of "personal pride" is a liability if you don't know when to use it.

It's not just about Dubi, it's about the Jackets, too. Personal pride can galvanize the team and become team pride. We outhit the Devils this game; let's continue to build that reputation for toughness and continue the culture change.

The flip of your argument is saying that since there's no way a player as tough as Volchenkov is going to avoid running Dubi... then Dubi should just take it. No thanks

major major

Feb 18, 2013
It's not just about Dubi, it's about the Jackets, too. Personal pride can galvanize the team and become team pride. We outhit the Devils this game; let's continue to build that reputation for toughness and continue the culture change.

The flip of your argument is saying that since there's no way a player as tough as Volchenkov is going to avoid running Dubi... then Dubi should just take it. No thanks

Just take it? A clean hit in the third when you're protecting a lead? Absolutely.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
If it were a dirty hit or if someone drilled someone else like that I would have been OK with it, but it was a good clean hit and Dubi was taking shots while the guy was on the ice.

There's where I have a problem with it. Want to stand up for yourself after a clean hit? Fine. Want to send a message about toughness and pride? Good. Even making a bad game situation? I'm even OK with that. But don't throw on a guy who's on the ice and who never agreed to go. Classless and potentially dangerous.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC

And Wiz's goal doesn't happen without the pressure Jenner put on Harrold forcing turnover.

Worth noting, too, that Dubi's goal came when both he and Umby were infront of the goal. We often struggle to get one guy in there, it stood out to me when there were two!

And I agree with j4l, Bob looked to be solidly back on track, last night.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
There's where I have a problem with it. Want to stand up for yourself after a clean hit? Fine. Want to send a message about toughness and pride? Good. Even making a bad game situation? I'm even OK with that. But don't throw on a guy who's on the ice and who never agreed to go. Classless and potentially dangerous.

Agreed, but I think it may be worth noting that Dubi has a long history with the Devils, so that may play a part, as well.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Only problem I have with this game is that Umby had 4 minutes more than Cam, and 3 more than Gabby. What does that accomplish? :shakehead:

I'll let Vinny answer this one:

148898-330-0.jpg

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
The first period was pretty boring. A few good saves, but not much more.

Devils kicked it up a notch in the second and got the PP goal. That seemed to wake up the Jackets, and they then seemed to take over.

Locked it down in the third, and got a nice goal from Wiz with a nice little screen from Cam.

When Cam turns on the afterburners good things always seem to happen.

Wiz was brutal on one shift, but I thought played pretty well otherwise.

Joey looked good, and it seems Richards has come to like sending the kid out to take important face-offs. Good for Joey.

Duby has become the heart and soul guy. He never let up last night.

The Flu.

Sadly in central Ohio, if you are around kids in school this time of year, you are going to battle the stomach flu. As we have seen, this happens every stinking year to the Jackets. We watch our grand-kids a couple of times a week, and somehow, someway, I was the only one in the family that did not end up with the pukies when it was brought home. Hope it doesn't effect to many players on Friday.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
If Duby's response was a matter of "pride", I would say that is good. We need guys who play with "pride".

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
You are going to get the good with the bad with a prideful, high energy guy like Dubinsky, and I don't for one minute regret having him on this squad.

When Doughty sucker punched him last season, and then turtled when Dubinsky squared up on him, that to me sets a favorable tone for your team. This is a rough, physical game and you don't want to be the team know for blinking first. We lost alot of edge when Dorse was moved to NYR, thankfully we have guys like #17 to replace that element.

If you've never seen the Anisimov "goal celebration" video, you should check it out, and look who is there defending his teammate, right or wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Tbtn_1mTUM

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad