Post-Game Talk: Game 9: Canucks lose to the Penguins 4-3 in the SO - Blame it on the early start

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brenton Williams

Feb 6, 2006
I'm fully aware of how to use Twitter.

I know that most (non-moronic) people who like it, like it because of the immediate delivery of news. However, getting a 140-character news update 10 minutes before it would have appeared on a 'traditional' news source in much greater detail with more credibility ... has absolutely zero value to me.

Especially when compared to the negative trends in society that this technology promotes - celebrity-ism, decline in news quality, decline in critical thought, and the general proliferation of stupidity and self-importance - yeah, to me it's garbage.

I understand the lens with which your analyzing twitter, but it means something different depending on the person.

I use it to follow people I find insightful -- ie. journalists, political/foreign policy experts, economists, scientists -- who link me to all sorts of interesting articles that would otherwise be very difficult and timely to find. It's great in that regard.

If you follow twitter to see what type of cereal Shaq ate for breakfast then yes, perhaps it's propelling the downfall of our society.

Brenton Williams

Feb 6, 2006
Yup. I've *always* been a 'blaming the refs is silly, the breaks will even themselves out' poster here. Have tried to point out games where the reffing breaks have gone in our favour.

Since the spring of 2011, nothing has gone in our favour.

Now last in the league in PPs/game. We've had more PPs than the opposition once in 9 games.

Tonight, the refs set an early precedent by calling a rinky-dink holding penalty on Higgins. Then another marginal-ish one against Schroeder.

... and then Pittsburgh spent the entire game committing similar infractions against us, and against the Sedins in particular, and nothing gets called.

That interference play by Martin (?) against Henrik in overtime absolutely has to be called. We have pressure and possession, calls are 5-1 against us, and Pittsburgh commits the most obvious interference play ever to create a turnover going the other way and a series of quality scoring chances for them. Ridiculous.

That no-call pushed me close to conspiracy theorist territory.

I'd be curious to know or hear what the Sedins actual thoughts are, because it's reaching the point of ludicrous.

Outside99*

I'd be curious to know or hear what the Sedins actual thoughts are, because it's reaching the point of ludicrous.

If it wasn't for the fact Crosby picked up the puck, I'd swear that was a set play. Too smooth.

VanCanucks53

Jul 6, 2007
Calgary
I understand the lens with which your analyzing twitter, but it means something different depending on the person.

I use it to follow people I find insightful -- ie. journalists, political/foreign policy experts, economists, scientists -- who link me to all sorts of interesting articles that would otherwise be very difficult and timely to find. It's great in that regard.

If you follow twitter to see what type of cereal Shaq ate for breakfast then yes, perhaps it's propelling the downfall of our society.

Pretty much exactly how I feel.

SighReally

Sep 6, 2011
Can anyone bring up numbers comparing the number of penalties called against the Rangers under Tortorella versus the number of penalties called against the Canucks under Tortorella this season? Would be an interesting comparison (though too soon for legitimate analysis because of sample size and adjustment to the new coach and system).

Would be nice to see our numbers against AV too.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
The officiating blows no doubt about it but the canucks do have a reputation to live down. The only thing they can do is bury their heads and simply play hard honest hockey. At some point that will get rewarded. It's only been a handful of games where they have truly being playing that way without the shenanigans of LaPierre or easy falling by Kezzzzler etc. Keep churning the legs.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
The officiating blows no doubt about it but the canucks do have a reputation to live down. The only thing they can do is bury their heads and simply play hard honest hockey. At some point that will get rewarded. It's only been a handful of games where they have truly being playing that way without the shenanigans of LaPierre or easy falling by Kezzzzler etc. Keep churning the legs.

They are plenty of teams that dive as much as we used to dive. There is simply a bias against the Canucks. I wish the NHL management and its officials were all fired.

jimmythescot

Jul 28, 2009
Edinburgh, Scotland

This is why I don't understand when people say the refs should put the whistles away to avoid influencing the outcome. Putting them away immediately changes the outcome as the game changes completely.

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
alot of excellent signs from the canucks in this game...higgins and santorelli continue to be excellent, bieksa and garrison were absolute studs, and luongo (despite a few shaky rebounds) was solid, especially with his point-saving save on sutter on the penalty shot

maybe the best sign for me was the improved play of kassian...you can tell that he's starting to get back up to game speed, and i'd say that he's gotten better not only every game but also every period...may be time to throw him on with the sedins for a period to see if they can get him on a bit of a goal streak and get his confidence even higher

hard to say the guy is a bust when he's improving with every game played

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
They are plenty of teams that dive as much as we used to dive. There is simply a bias against the Canucks. I wish the NHL management and its officials were all fired.

Absolutely. We were a really dive-y team in 2010. Since 2011, the team has made a big commitment to not doing that stuff, and we're one of the most honest teams in the league in that regard now.

But we're still treated like it's 2010. And the Sedins are considered divers - despite generally being guys that always fight to stay on their feet - because of 2 dives out of frustration about the lack of calls in the 2011 Finals.

Meanwhile, teams like SJ/LA have been flopping all over the place for years, get zero media attention for it, zero reputation for it, and still get nearly every call.

It's nauseating.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Sounds like the refs weren't on our side again.

Nice.

Speaking of refs, I was just leafing through the Sharks GDT and I found even Sharks fans themselves are admitting the refs are giving them tons of calls. They got 9 or 10 PP's in their game tonight.

Think it's safe to say they're the league's golden team. :laugh:

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Love the Richardson addition.

Also I think with every game this team is improving. We may not have won but we outshot them good and got good chances.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver

yeah right that's not gonna happen. as long as vancouver keep on skating and moving their feet. the opposition will always hook/hold and no calls will be given.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I wouldn't be surprised if it was Canucks PR that got him to delete it, because he may not have intended it, but by extension he was cheering on a Penguins goal against the team that drafted him. That, or he realized that he was going to be annoying his future teammates.

Sorry guys, but I think NHL allegiances need to trump WHL when it comes to public consumption. Congratulating him in private is one thing and perfectly acceptable, announcing it on twitter is another.

Yeah no.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

Three years and counting, still nothing good from the refs. What we see is what we are going to get.

Spare a thought foe the NYR. After AV called them out they are now last in PP opportunities, only 1/2 the chances of SJ.

Last edited:

John Bender*

Kesler was and continues to play like crap.

His SO "attempt" was embarrassing.

All the shootout attempts, save Malkin, were fairly subpar.

Kesler is not playing like "crap." It's funny all the Kesler hate that pops up here. Disappointing really. Talk about taking things for granted.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
All the shootout attempts, save Malkin, were fairly subpar.

Kesler is not playing like "crap." It's funny all the Kesler hate that pops up here. Disappointing really. Talk about taking things for granted.

Want to hear a funny stat regarding Kesler? Hank has more hits than him. No joke. Hank is out-hitting Kesler this season 9 hits to 6.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Want to hear a funny stat regarding Kesler? Hank has more hits than him. No joke. Hank is out-hitting Kesler this season 9 hits to 6.

I've really been noticing the Twins taking the body a lot more so far this year. I think Hank's career high was 35 hits over 82 games? He's well on his way to outpacing that this year. Wonder if it's part of Tortorella's up-tempo system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad