Post-Game Talk: Game 9: Canucks lose to the Penguins 4-3 in the SO - Blame it on the early start

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Vengabus

Jan 11, 2004
Visit site
Twitter seems to exist for 2 reasons :

1) as a platform for dumb people to relate unimportant details about their lives to the general public. Or to just generally expose their idiocy to others.

2) to provide completely unreliable, unsourced news to the public minutely quicker than they could otherwise have received reliable news from a credible source.

Twitter, like Facebook or the internet in general, is a communications medium. It's just a tool. How people use it is up to them. It's just elementary network effects - that is, the content you are exposed to is representative of the content you choose to be exposed to. If your twitter or Facebook networks provide you only with uninteresting or unimportant content, then it is a reflection of your own network decisions. To criticize the technology is like criticizing the telephone because people spend hours on the phone having mundane and unimportant discussions. The difference is that modern social media is more public than traditional networks, but there are upsides to that such that it serves a different purpose in people's lives.

You're making the mistake of equating the content with the technology.

DennisReynolds

the implication
Dec 11, 2011

1) as a platform for dumb people to relate unimportant details about their lives to the general public. Or to just generally expose their idiocy to others.

2) to provide completely unreliable, unsourced news to the public minutely quicker than they could otherwise have received reliable news from a credible source.
Looks like you're not using it correctly or never used it.

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
Twitter, like Facebook or the internet in general, is a communications medium. It's just a tool. How people use it is up to them. It's just elementary network effects - that is, the content you are exposed to is representative of the content you choose to be exposed to. If your twitter or Facebook networks provide you only with uninteresting or unimportant content, then it is a reflection of your own network decisions. To criticize the technology is like criticizing the telephone because people spend hours on the phone having mundane and unimportant discussions. The difference is that modern social media is more public than traditional networks, but there are upsides to that such that it serves a different purpose in people's lives.

Well said.

I use twitter mainly as a news source and i think its invaluable.

Smokey McCanucks

PuckDaddy "Perfect HFBoard Trade Proposal 02/24/14
Dec 21, 2010
Bah, if they woulda called that obvious hold/interference by Martin on Hank late in OT, definitely would have won it. Stupid shootout. Stupid early start, don't they know some of us drink on Fridays? Still, great game, great pace, and it's always a treat to see Crosby play. So much better than everyone else.

Karl Hungus

Oct 6, 2007
I thought the Canucks played a strong game today against a very tough team. We had answers for just about everything the Pens threw at us. The one big exception was the transition game.

I felt like Kesler had a had in the 1st and 3rd goals that the Pens got. He made desperate attempts to keep the puck in the offensive zone both times when it was clear that the Pens were going to get it and gave up clean 3 on 2 rushes the other way in the process leading directly to goals. Against the likes of Crosby and Malkin giving up 3 on 2 rushes when you lose possession cannot be part of the game plan.

I don't mind using Kesler on Henrik's wing when there is another grinding player out there, like Higgins, but I don't like him out there with Daniel and Henrik. I feel that Henrik can play a grinding game alright and if his wingers have a nose for the net the line gets some good chances. When the two Sedins are together the game is at a different pace and Kesler doesn't seem to compliment them any better than a Higgins or Hansen does.

I thought Lou had a strong game as well. He gave up some rebounds but they came off quality chances that were not easy to read. They were from scrambles coming from plays on the rush, or off trailers that Crosby was setting up when there were other options that Lou had to respect. He stoned Sutter cold on that Penalty shot. People that are complaining about our goaltending in this game are just making themselves look foolish, imo.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna

Then you are simply following the wrong accounts. Try following actual news feeds for example, and you'll see breaking news as it happens. I can check my twitter feed, see that something is going on, and click on a link to go check it out. I guess the alternative is refreshing the news pages every few minutes. No thanks.

Plenty of people share unimportant fluff on their FB accounts too, that's not just Twitter. The problem with FB is the lack of privacy. Want to 'like' a page? Want to add a friend? Oh look, it's announced on your FB feed for everyone to see. FB is good for keeping in contact with friends and family that you don't often pick up the phone to call, but that's about it.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
Twitter has no redeeming qualities whatsoever as far as I can see. Pure trash.

That's just because the only people you know on it are idiots.

A well crafted, thoughtful tweet has a lot more value than the average "ooh look I went out to Earls with so and so" Facebook post.

The problem with Twitter is that it's virtually all public, so it's easier for the idiots on it to be seen. But they don't define typical usage.

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008

Twitter limits content to 140 characters. This means in actuality the statement "how people use it is up to them" is false. Anything beyond a concise description or comment is not possible.

It is similar to people understanding the world through tv soundbites. The world is a complex place: you can understand any issue from 10 second newsbite from a network. Our current media culture is resulting in people's surface level knowledge increasing, but their actual undertanding decreasing.

Imagine if this forum limited posts to 140 characters. All of the most informative and thoughtful posts from intelligent and informed hockey fans that I currently enjoy reading would be impossible.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

I'm fully aware of how to use Twitter.

I know that most (non-moronic) people who like it, like it because of the immediate delivery of news. However, getting a 140-character news update 10 minutes before it would have appeared on a 'traditional' news source in much greater detail with more credibility ... has absolutely zero value to me.

Especially when compared to the negative trends in society that this technology promotes - celebrity-ism, decline in news quality, decline in critical thought, and the general proliferation of stupidity and self-importance - yeah, to me it's garbage.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
As the Pens fan above just noted, Pittsburgh is a tough team to dominate territory and possession against, especially at home, and the fact that we were able to do that is a very good sign.

Exactly. This team has really started to put Tortorella's system to work and the results have to be considered encouraging. The team seems to get better with each passing game and it bodes well for a club that seemingly plays their best hockey from December onward.

Another encouraging sign from today's game is the play of Zach Kassian. IMO he's gotten better with each game this season and this is all you can ask from a 22 year old player.

I hear people say Chris Tanev is overrated and cannot for the life of me wrap my head around it. His development has been truly remarkable and the guy just never seems to have a bad night, let alone a poor shift. Not nervous at all having him out on the ice matched up against Malkin...

I want to feel the Booth love like many others but I just can't. I honestly can't remember the last time he shot a puck past an opposing goaltender. It's probably been 30 plus games since this has happened. Considering he can't make plays with the puck and doesn't fill a defensive role, that's a problem.

Does anyone remember the last time David Booth shot the puck past a goalie?

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
#ourteamourway
FIjjJvy.jpg

Sorry... late to the party. I just caught wind of this.

Disgusting really.

Botchford actually accuses Horvat for "cheering for the Pens"?

I would love to see Tortorella tear him a new one next presser. He'd accomplish three things...sticking up for a player/top prospect in his organization, illustrate why he hates twitter so much and to serve notice to Botchford that he is now officially the new Larry brooks in this town.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Exactly. This team has really started to put Tortorella's system to work and the results have to be considered encouraging. The team seems to get better with each passing game and it bodes well for a club that seemingly plays their best hockey from December onward.

Another encouraging sign from today's game is the play of Zach Kassian. IMO he's gotten better with each game this season and this is all you can ask from a 22 year old player.

I hear people say Chris Tanev is overrated and cannot for the life of me wrap my head around it. His development has been truly remarkable and the guy just never seems to have a bad night, let alone a poor shift. Not nervous at all having him out on the ice matched up against Malkin...

Agreed with all of this.

Drop the Sopel said:
I want to feel the Booth love like many others but I just can't. I honestly can't remember the last time he shot a puck past an opposing goaltender. It's probably been 30 plus games since this has happened. Considering he can't make plays with the puck and doesn't fill a defensive role, that's a problem.

Does anyone remember the last time David Booth shot the puck past a goalie?

April 7, 2012 against Edmonton. And to be fair, it was a beauty :

So it's been 26 games without beating a goalie since then.

Worth noting that the above goal also ended a 10-game goalless drought, so in his last 37 games he's an atrocious 3-4-7, with one of those goals being an empty-netter.

StringerBell

Lol who cares. Even in the NHL players will feel good for their friends when they score against them. Ferraro was on 1040 earlier in the week talking about how when Tony Granato scored against his (Ferraro's) team one game both benches were going crazy for him. Let him celebrate his friends goal for Christs sake.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
Last edited:

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Sorry... late to the party. I just caught wind of this.

Disgusting really.

Botchford actually accuses Horvat for "cheering for the Pens"?

I would love to see Tortorella tear him a new one next presser. He'd accomplish three things...sticking up for a player/top prospect in his organization, illustrate why he hates twitter so much and to serve notice to Botchford that he is now officially the new Larry brooks in this town.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was Canucks PR that got him to delete it, because he may not have intended it, but by extension he was cheering on a Penguins goal against the team that drafted him. That, or he realized that he was going to be annoying his future teammates.

Sorry guys, but I think NHL allegiances need to trump WHL when it comes to public consumption. Congratulating him in private is one thing and perfectly acceptable, announcing it on twitter is another.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Agreed with all of this.

April 7, 2012 against Edmonton. And to be fair, it was a beauty :

Worth noting that the above goal also ended a 10-game goalless drought, so in his last 37 games he's an atrocious 3-4-7, with one of those goals being an empty-netter.

And how many of those games were games he left partway through due to injury, or played limited minutes in a return from injury? And why does an empty netter count less now?

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
I thought the Canucks played a strong game today against a very tough team. We had answers for just about everything the Pens threw at us. The one big exception was the transition game.

I felt like Kesler had a had in the 1st and 3rd goals that the Pens got. He made desperate attempts to keep the puck in the offensive zone both times when it was clear that the Pens were going to get it and gave up clean 3 on 2 rushes the other way in the process leading directly to goals. Against the likes of Crosby and Malkin giving up 3 on 2 rushes when you lose possession cannot be part of the game plan.

I don't mind using Kesler on Henrik's wing when there is another grinding player out there, like Higgins, but I don't like him out there with Daniel and Henrik. I feel that Henrik can play a grinding game alright and if his wingers have a nose for the net the line gets some good chances. When the two Sedins are together the game is at a different pace and Kesler doesn't seem to compliment them any better than a Higgins or Hansen does.

I thought Lou had a strong game as well. He gave up some rebounds but they came off quality chances that were not easy to read. They were from scrambles coming from plays on the rush, or off trailers that Crosby was setting up when there were other options that Lou had to respect. He stoned Sutter cold on that Penalty shot. People that are complaining about our goaltending in this game are just making themselves look foolish, imo.

Kesler was and continues to play like crap.

His SO "attempt" was embarrassing.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary

Ah, thanks.

Booth is being paid to do little other than score goals and he's shot the puck past an opposing goaltender once in his last 36 games. Say what you want about his awful vision and passing ability, he needs to start finding a way to get off some quality shots.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
And how many of those games were games he left partway through due to injury, or played limited minutes in a return from injury? And why does an empty netter count less now?

He left 1 game out of those 37 due to injury. Played less than 12 minutes in two other games.

Basically, over nearly his last 40 games he's scored at a 15-point pace while getting top-9 minutes.

Yeah, injuries have certainly curtailed his performances, but the fact that he's always hurt isn't exactly a point in his favour.

EN goal doesn't 'count less', but when the discussion is of an alleged 'sniper' who has shot a puck cleanly past a goalie once in 37 games ... it's skewing the results a little.

Drop the Sopel]Ah, thanks.

Booth is being paid to do little other than score goals and he's shot the puck past an opposing goaltender once in his last 36 games. Say what you want about his awful vision and passing ability, he needs to start finding a way to get off some quality shots.

Exactly.

He's getting a bit of a free pass right now because of all the injury problems he's had, but he needs to start cranking it up soon and putting some pucks in the net.

Forget the goals, he's had very, very few quality looks at the net this year, either. 12 SOG in 9 games (from a guy who was putting 250-280 pucks/year on net in his better seasons) and virtually all of those have been from the perimeter.

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
Ah, thanks.

He needs to drive the net

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
No Letang or Neal and we still can't beat them, it's great we're beating bad teams like the Oilers, NJ, Flyers, Sabres but what playoff team have we beaten this season?

Oh wow this fan base, i hate to say but this is not 2011, some people are still living in the past where we had insane depth and could run over every team.

We dont have burrows who is key to us, so I dont get your point. Pens are one of the best (if not possibly the best) teams in the league, and it was a close game we could have won.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad