GDT: Game 80: Red Wings at leafs 7:00 pm et 4/13/24 (BSD, ESPN+)

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
They don't control their own destiny. If Washington win their 2 remaining games, the wings are out no matter what.
Not fully true as isles could lose both with 1 being in OT. That would mean caps in 3rd metro and Detroit in wild card if there is a 3 way tie

Chelis Chili

Proud HFB member since 21 years [sic!]
Dec 26, 2002
Hockeytown
After Auston Matthews scored his 69th goal of the season to help the Maple Leafs mount a three-goal comeback, Dylan Larkin netted the ninth overtime tally of his career to tie franchise legends Brendan Shanahan and Steve Yzerman for second most in club history. The Red Wings (39-32-9, 87 points) matched the Capitals for points and kept their playoff hopes alive by avoiding a regulation loss.

Larkin_Media-ezgif.com-optimize-13114849.gif

sauce: https://media.nhl.com/public/news/17914

Last edited:

LongTimeDRWF

Feb 10, 2024
NS
Indeed. The goaltending has been mediocre to ok all season long expect the hot streak by Lyon. We need a bit better goaltending.

We scored 5

Good call

I have never seen that much net open. I still think it is good to be aggressive sometimes

He is 7-2 in his last 9, Lyon is 1-10.
I won't be surprised if he starts the next one.
The next 2 games are B2B, they will each get a start, the question becomes which one goes first, the playoff hopes will ride with them both as the wings will need at least 3 points, likely 4 to have a real shot at getting in.

PajamaBoy

Sponsor
Sep 16, 2020
When are you going to start demanding more from this team? In no way should missing the playoffs at the end of Year 5 of a rebuild be deemed acceptable.
Honestly with no negativity I think we improve year to year. Our core will come thru primarily thru the draft. Our highest center picks are a year or two away but I'll judge em when those players are full timers.

I think Lalonde is learning and getting better too. I think the 5 wins in 20 is unacceptable but yzerman not to blame. Same team was 10 points clear. What happened. Oh shit got tight? More pressure? Your supposed to overcome that on the ice. They didn't but it is all valuable lessons.

This team definitely lacks that physical deminseion but in professional sports the older elite more experienced players really force the issue in these situations. Take last night's game as an example we scored 4 goals in the opening period. You should win 90 percent of those in this league. We seem a little immature.

Lalonde wants to play this north south game for 60 minutes but we just don't have the talent ready on 3 lines to do that.

End of the day Larkin Raymond Cat aren't out dueling marner Matthews and nylander on most nights. Unless u have the start we had last night. We barely made it outta that.

We all would love it but none of our best guys at that peak ... Yet.
Curious what he meant we were years away from...
I think he wants a consistent core locked up that is talented and hard working enough to do what a Boston or tampa does which is make the playoffs consistently for a decade.

I don't know about you guys but the reason I don't get overly chapped is because when I look at the holls petrys chariots of the team I know for a fact that these guys will at Max stay their contracts. Ain't none of them getting extended. They are place holders.

Our young draftees should look at the talent of just those three players and think I just gotta be better than those three?

Also the idea is after these deals expire that we replace them with those young guys and no longer have to use cap space on these profiles anymore.

I was not prepared to pay assets for hanafin because a team like Vegas was always gonna pay more.

Then you gotta pay the dude 45 mill.

We are trying to hold the 45 mill deals for guys we draft and develop. That's how u build a good team culture. You gotta show your prospects work hard get your opportunity and you get paid by the team that drafted you.

I know NHL ain't NFL but successful NFL franchises build through the draft.

Tampa started off with Hedman and Stammer before Stevie started adding a lot of prospects. But it's the draftees he was responsible helping bring through we see as their core dudes. The Kuch and Points of the world are the reason they won titles went to three straight finals not even counting finals they lost in prior years.

We got Seider progressing well. It's ed's turn next. Can't wait for some of our young forwards to start getting opportunities and we should be excited. The tragectory is up that's what you should be focused on as a fan. When they say there will be ups and downs this is what they meant.

Should be positive thought that we haven't pushed or fast tracked any prospects outside of the Raymond and Seider.

Look at the sens for example . You would assume Timmy, f***ing Brady along with all that name talent would mean something but they kept wasting picks and money and didn't really establish any identity with their in house draftees.

You can't buy a culture from outside that never happens. You create the culture and then supplement it usually in-house and when your in it to win it then spend assets for outside toys.

Reactions: Zetterberg4Captain

Astyanax

May 5, 2020
wait, are you the same guy who, earlier in the season, said you'd shit, piss, and vomit simultaneously, and we then had an Algonquin-Round-Table level discourse on whether or not that's physiologically possible?
Well I am sure Dorothy Parker never alluded to anything close to this in any of her pithy witticismes. However, I can assure you that in my younger years it definitely happened. Perhaps not possible, but in my memory it did and it was awful. Maybe a fraction of a second betwixt, but immediate. To wit, felt like simultaneous.😪

Astyanax

May 5, 2020
If I were the owner, I would pull a Stannis Baratheon on this entire team. Starting with Yzerman and Lalonde. Cut a few fingers, sacrifice a few people to the Red God, etc.
Seriously, you want to go stannis? Because that worked out so well for him???

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad