GDT: Game 8 | Islanders @ Blue Jackets | 7 PM EST

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
I don’t hate him as a player but I’m with you here. I’ll never understand the obsession our fan base has with him. He plays hard but I’d rather have Marchenko and KJ in the lineup.
You are entitled to your opinion but man hockey is more than scoring goals. Do you wonder why the CBJ never have a forecheck last year?

We were missing Texier and Bjorkstrand , who forecheck and their skill.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Well, those two dudes are 4th line grinders that play less than 10 minutes a night. To me, it comes down to Sillinger or Tex to sit a game or two
I can easily just throw Danforth on the fourth line, and take one of Olivier/Voronkov out, and keep all the more skilled guys in.

Texier being out of the lineup would be a gigantic mistake by Vincent

Finner

Dec 8, 2018
I do think it was overall a solid effort, but I think this off the rush stuff isn't working. We need to get our forecheck going.
We need to learn how to score goals. Less than 10 games and twice we have 0 goal after 60minutes. We in space for almost 20games without scoring a goal. Thats huge problem

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
We need to learn how to score goals. Less than 10 games and twice we have 0 goal after 60minutes. We in space for almost 20games without scoring a goal. Thats huge problem
They had a number of grade A chances, hit the post a few times. Truly was no luck on our side.

Islanders scored both goals after Martin mistakes, Varlamov didn’t make any, that really was the main difference

Seedtype

Aug 16, 2009
Ohio?!?!

I agree. Also it sucks that we're blowing our friendly schedule start.

If we don't get our scoring going in the next couple weeks I think we're done before Thanksgiving. (Like there is no chance at all of making the playoffs)

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

ColumbusTrill

Mar 15, 2021
I think they're playing so much better team hockey. Our own zone isn't a disaster. Out chanced the Islanders but just couldn't get anything to go. Hopefully they don't get discouraged because I think they're pretty close

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
You can blame Martin for the goals, but you can blame the forwards even more for not scoring any. If they have to react with speed, they are in trouble.
Danforth's spot is fourth and no PP.
Sillinger should be assigned to Cleveland.
I hope Marchenko and Laine come back against Dallas.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
You can blame Martin for the goals, but you can blame the forwards even more for not scoring any. If they have to react with speed, they are in trouble.
Danforth's spot is fourth and no PP.
Willinger should be assigned to Cleveland.
I hope Marchenko and Laine come back against Dallas.
Wrong. The third line has been an issue for the last 4 games. In those games, KJ and Marchenko have sat and Danforth played on the 4th line in two. The common denominator is Sillinger.

I like Danforth on the 4th line, too. But he’s not killed the 3rd line. When Laine returns, put him with KJ and Roslovic. Then have:
Johnny Boone Marchenko
Tex Fantilli Bemstrom
Danforth Kuraly Olivier/Voronkov/Sillinger

Napoli

Oct 4, 2023
Honestly this team deserved a goal. After that first goal was let in and the way this team made Varlamov look, you knew it was going to be tough.

I really dont feel bad for Vincent though. He needs to stop doing stupid shit like playing Sillinger and Voronkov. Give KJ a real chance that third line has no center.

Overall, good effort, deserved a point but too much time to the wrong players didnt help. Margins are small at this level and when you already have someone like Laine out, you need all your skill players in the lineup.

I3LI3

Jan 9, 2021
Columbus, OH
i’ll mention it one more time, I sat four rows off the ice tonight in our shoot twice end so I was able to easily observe things.

this team tries so hard for redirects and against solid defensive teams like the Isles, those lanes just aren’t there.

the passing was terrible. puck seemed to be rolling so much. crowd was blah. saturday night, the energy was pretty putrid.

Johnny continues to leave me absolutely disappointed. I get it. he wants to make plays but at the same time he needs to become selfish and continue to shoot the puck. especially when #29 isn’t on the ice.

watching the islanders play defense in person is so damn frustrating but a beautiful thing. they force teams to constantly shoot from the perimeter. the block shots with ease. the traffic they get infront of the net is so impressive.

martin played well all game until that 2nd goal. tried so hard to get the puck up the ice. maybe he became tired of watching texier and sillinger fail to get the puck out of the defensive zone.

the powerplay was on that bullshit tonight where they suck the momentum out of the crowd entirely.

my first game in 13 months and my last game this season i’ll be able to go to… no goals. yay. second most disappointing game i’ve been to at NWA other than watching the bruins shutout the jackets at home for my only playoff game i’ve ever attended. comical. jackets love getting shutout when I go, huh.

most frustrating franchise to be a fan of.

(ps: I know a lot of what I just said is just the frustration and alcohol taking ha. this team is still much better than last year’s team even when getting shut out)

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Wrong. The third line has been an issue for the last 4 games. In those games, KJ and Marchenko have sat and Danforth played on the 4th line in two. The common denominator is Sillinger.

I like Danforth on the 4th line, too. But he’s not killed the 3rd line. When Laine returns, put him with KJ and Roslovic. Then have:
Johnny Boone Marchenko
Tex Fantilli Bemstrom
Danforth Kuraly Olivier/Voronkov/Sillinger
That's why I think Cole should play some time in Cleveland. But moving Danforth to Kent... he looked great with Kuraly.

I don't know about adding Roslovic to Laine. Patrik has great chemistry with Marchenko and Jack looks good with Jenner and Gaudreau.

Gaudreau -- Jenner -- Roslovic
Johnson -- Laine -- Marchenko
Texier -- Fantilli -- Bemström
Voronkov -- Kuraly -- Danforth

We will see. But I have a feeling Sillinger will play.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
6 home games.. shutout 2 times by backup goalies.

People talk about fun to watch, but our "talent" gets shut down entirely too much.

Couple posts tonight may change that story but disappointing either way.

Last edited:

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
That's why I think Cole should play some time in Cleveland. But moving Danforth to Kent... he looked great with Kuraly.

I don't know about adding Roslovic to Laine. Patrik has great chemistry with Marchenko and Jack looks good with Jenner and Gaudreau.

Gaudreau -- Jenner -- Roslovic
Johnson -- Laine -- Marchenko
Texier -- Fantilli -- Bemström
Voronkov -- Kuraly -- Danforth

We will see.
KJ and Ros sure has some nice chemistry on the PP in the 3rd.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
KJ and Ros sure has some nice chemistry on the PP in the 3rd.
It is PP and not 5:5. But maybe you are right, #29 and #96 have good chemistry too. But it is questionable when Laine will return.
P.S. If they've been practicing skating, couldn't they do stick work as well?

Finner

Dec 8, 2018
They had a number of grade A chances, hit the post a few times. Truly was no luck on our side.

Islanders scored both goals after Martin mistakes, Varlamov didn’t make any, that really was the main difference
Learn to make goals not hit posts. Im pretty sure we lost that game 0-2 and did not win it by 4 Grade A Chances against 2 Mistakes made

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Scoresheet monitoring without watching impact on the ice.

You can’t convince me that Texier isn’t one of the top 10 players on the team so far this year.

He’s never been a point producer and never will. Does he need to give more? Yeah. But he’s done amazing things on the forecheck and has set up many chances. Eventually they will go in.

I’m more upset that olivier and Voronkov stay in over marchenko.

Funny enough I vaguely remember Tex was our top scorer in the month before he left, December 2021? All with Kuraly and Robinson. That was a great trio.

It's as clear as ever to me that Tex has a ton of value for this team, but I'm really not sure he's a good complement to other skill players. He doesn't process passing plays very quickly, for one thing.

JG Boone Ros
Tex Fantilli Bemmer
KJ Laine Marchenko
Danforth Kuraly Olivier

Vronk and Cole to CLE

I was going to post the exact same lines.

Also considering a variant of that same set where Tex swaps spots with Danforth.

6 home games.. shutout 2 times by backup goalies.

People talk about fun to watch, but our "talent" gets shut down entirely too much.

Couple posts tonight may change that story but disappointing either way.

When the Jackets would get shutout like this in the Torts era, in those games where they pile up the "expected goals", you could easily point to the lack of finishing talent. Is that problem over now? Honest question.

My answer is that it might be now while Fantilli is still searching for consistency and Laine is out. But I can't imagine anyone should question this clubs finishing ability after Laine gets back and Fantilli gets a bit more consistent.

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
Instead of Chick-fil-a ownership needs to get into contact with Pfizer to have bottles of Xanex falling from the rafters and not cows with free sandwiches in them. That's the second game in a row I watched a fan have a public mental breakdown after a loss at the arena and social media is having some of the wildest takes that rival that, or maybe worse, than a Canadian fanbase after a loss. I understand the Detroit game but this wasn't a game that was so devastating that they needed to shout to the heavens that this team needs to move to KC because we are an embarrassment to the league because Vegas and Seattle figured it out but we can't (spite you know the league learned from the Columbus/Wild expansion drafts and never want to put new franchises in a rough spot ever again)

This team is what I expected it to be...a 80-85 point team that needs growing pains to improve and get better. They played a much more veteran team today and it shows has they played well but couldn't finish and need better shot selection. Yet nobody has said the one takeaway from this game I noted...every single game but 1 (Detroit) has been competitive and within comeback distance (down by 1) up until 4 minutes left to play. Even with all these errors, snakebitten scorers, post hits and defensive lapses this team has been competitive in almost every single game so far.

Like I am enjoying actual competitive hockey for once and I am saying once these kids break out watch out! Now to enjoy my free chicken sandwich tomorrow that I can't wait to get after watching that game tonight...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad