GDT: Game 79: San Jose Sharks vs. Nashville Predators 5 PM PST

drunksage

lol light beer
Jan 13, 2007
Hendertucky-ish
Hertl on TV postgame interview (attempted complete transcription):

- yeah, thank you guys, I am for sure for happy, and I finally, I hit the 20 goals, and I appreciate it, I just thank you for Jumbo and Pav because help me a lot this season, and it's big win for us, you know, it was little bit playoff game, it was pretty hard and we happy for this win tonight
- [on his goals] just you know [unintelligible] every time go to the net, and just I score, you know, and was great shot, the second goal was great shot Burnzie and I just tip in goal, I scored all 20 goal this season and [...] I'm happy for this
- [on going to the net] yeah, you know, I tell many times you know I big guy, I try play this hard position and, you know, Jumbo wants puck and I try making space you know, hold the guys and go to net and he after he little bit of space every time goal because he passes me or Burnzie or Pav, he find every time a way, and this is his game, and I just help him a little bit making more space

Burns on radio postgame interview:

- [did you play the whole OT?] I think I took a 10 or 12 second break, I told Scotty give me at least two minutes
- [on the 1st line] those guys have been our heartbeat all year, they do such a great job of moving the puck down low, getting it up, cycling around the zone, those big bodies too, Herts has been unbelievable at protecting the puck and making plays, he's playing with two Joes that are top of the league, it's been a huge line for us and they were massive in the 3rd for us too
- [on his confidence] it goes with the team, everybody's been playing well, they feel really confident in their 4 lines and 7 D, can't say enough about the depth this year, the atmosphere and the energy around the rink has been great, you wanna work, you wanna get things done, you wanna feel good, it's just been a lot of fun the whole year, the coaches have been great with creating that atmosphere
- [on going for the Sharks record for road wings in a season] now that I know that, yeah, it'd be nice, obviously there's a lot of ties to Minnesota for him personally and for a lot of the other guys on the team too, it's a place you wanna play well, get the two points, they're still in the race but you'd like to spoil other teams, it just comes down to wanting to play well, at the end of the year you wanna feel good about your game personally and as a team, rolling and playing at your best come playoff time

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
I remember one extra attacker goal that Ward has scored. Has there actually been any more?

I get he has a reputation, and so I never complained about it until maybe the last month or two. Hertl has been clearly better than Ward for a while now, especially at scoring goals, which is the point of the extra attacker, to increase your chance to score a goal.

It's not the end of the world, like I said I still like Deboer overall, just that one facet irks me.

Being pretty hard on Ward. He's scored some clutch goals and made some big plays this year.

Jwec

Dec 21, 2015
Finland
NHL.com folks :laugh:

SharksPredsNHLerror.png

:laugh:

Looks-good-to-me.jpg

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
Being pretty hard on Ward. He's scored some clutch goals and made some big plays this year.

I'm not being hard on Ward at all. I never made any claims he's bad or anything like that. Just cause I think Hertl gives us a better chance to score, does not mean I think Ward is bad at all.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
With thorntons 2 assists tonight he now has 60 assists on the season. Becoming only the 8th player in nhl history to get 8 60 assist seasons in a career.

Episkey

Nitrox
Mar 12, 2013
California
Sharks have three players in the top-8 in NHL scoring. Thornton (#5, 78pts), Pavelski (#6, 76pts), and Burns (#8, 74pts). Incredible.

Sharksfan83

Jul 27, 2010
If anyone actually watched the third period, there would be threads on the trade board about Burns by now. It was a privilege to watch him in the third period tonight.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I think what Burns brings on the ice is not just points but more than that. His physicality, size and speed are a unique combination. I think it is hard to argue that Karlsson is NOT better than Burns offensively. But I think Burns brings more than just points on the ice.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
If anyone actually watched the third period, there would be threads on the trade board about Burns by now. It was a privilege to watch him in the third period tonight.

It's a privilege and joy to watch Brent Burns and Joe Thornton play hockey. I have never been as purely entertained by a Sharks team as I am right now.

Flididdle

Sep 24, 2015
It's a privilege and joy to watch Brent Burns and Joe Thornton play hockey. I have never been as purely entertained by a Sharks team as I am right now.

I agree wholeheartedly. Only two other times that I can remember was the 1st year of Joe when he and Cheechoo we're eating people for breakfast and also the pre All-Star Game team from 08-09 I think, whatever year Anaheim bounced us. That team was awesome to behold until the D stopped pinching, a trait that continued from that time throught the entirety of McClellan's tenure. Thornton also looks vintage, he's playing way faster this year and almost has 20 goals. Totally destroyed the Preds tonight. Gives me hope for the playoffs.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
I apologize for saying Hertl should have been traded earlier this year. I make a lot of stupid statements here (And hopefully some smart ones ;) ), but that might have been the dumbest. What a season he's had. And his Goals always feel so special because of that kid-like personality/smile.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
I apologize for saying Hertl should have been traded earlier this year. I make a lot of stupid statements here (And hopefully some smart ones ;) ), but that might have been the dumbest. What a season he's had. And his Goals always feel so special because of that kid-like personality/smile.

Not sure an apology is good enough for an error THAT bad.

In order to give enough penance for THAT big an error I think you need to be marched in your birthday suit through the streets of San Jose while a nun walks behind you continually ringing a bell while yelling "SHAME!" over and over. :sarcasm:

Jwec

Dec 21, 2015
Finland

Brent Burns and Joe Thornton were the reason why I woke up 03.00am this morning to watch this game. It is privilege to have guys like them on our team. It is astonishing that Jumbo is probably going to hit 80-point mark at age of 36 and Brent Burns almost cracking 30-goal mark!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad