GDT: Game 78: Canucks @ Sharks, 7:30pm, CSN-CA

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
I like Deboer's honesty about the motivation question.

Sure you don't want to just totally shut the engine off, but nothing wrong with idling back on the throttle some now that things are pretty locked in place.

The most important thing now is to rest up, heal minor injuries and get ready for the gauntlet this western conference is going to be.

Episkey

Nitrox
Mar 12, 2013
California
Well that was a pretty ugly game to be at. Bad start and early Vancouver goal sucked the life out of the building. Donskoi was terrible, and DeMelo was pretty bad. Didn't think Pavelski looked good either. Just something off with this team at home. Too many mistakes, average/below average goaltending. Hopefully they'll be able to kick it into another gear come playoff time.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Were dominating until that bad bounce went right to Hansen. Oh well. It wass likely between La and Anaheim for the Pacific regardless.

DystopianTierney

V^V^V 2050 V^V^V
May 3, 2014
Campbell, CA
Ice was crap, Donskoi had the worst game of his NHL career (two goals directly his fault) and Jones was a bit off tonight. It was a meaningless game (let's be realistic, we were going to end up 3rd no matter what) and the guys played like it. Pretty predictable loss, not remotely upset about it.

That's honestly a fair way to look at it. Winning out could potentially have us starting on the road, and what home advantage, right?

What I have a problem with is the consistent complacency at home. Below .500 again this month @ SAP, but the losses are a secondary concern. It's the consistent mistakes and poor execution that escape the vacuum of a meaningless game (Although, it's really the resulting 6 point gap that creates truly meaningless games).

Everyone was off tonight. Was still expecting to win this one with a solid 20 minute performance. A one goal lead might as well be a tied game for Vancouver heading into the 3rd this season.

That play by Jumbo and Burns, though....

I could have swore Jones had already been pulled :sarcasm:. Just really disappointing. Finally tie the game, and we're right back to giving Vancouver another odd man rush (they must have had at least 5 on the night). Save the home run plays (not that we could execute them on home ice) for when we're down a goal late in the game. That was the classic Jumbo dish for an ENG.

Only game I care about now is Nashville. We haven't looked good against them this year, still something to prove. Could care less if they lose out after that. Rest some of the older guys and stay healthy. Definitely concerned with how the team looks at SAP heading into the playoffs.

Sharksfan83

Jul 27, 2010
Just watched the game. The ice still looks ordinary, the guys are falling a lot, and the puck is boggling a lot also? Am I seeing things?

We had a lot of good looks tonight. Demelo was bad tonight and Donskoi looked like he coasted on the second goal. Other than that, pretty lackluster game that I was expecting.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
I like Deboer's honesty about the motivation question.

DeBoer is saying he is sick and tired of the team not being in the game mentally. Coaches always classify mistakes as physical or mental, and win/loss as physical or mental. Coaches have been doing this for many, many decades. You won't hear it talked about much unless your the guy they need to talk to about mentally getting into the game.

It's the mental aspect that keeps the Sharks from being a cup contender, but instead an early exit.

Here's the last home record:

• 4-11-1 =1st game in a homestand or a single game homestand
  • 5-3-1 =last game in a multi-game (2 or more) homestand
  • 7-6-1 =middle games in a multi-game (3 or more) homestand

It's the same Sharks, playing on the same rink dimensions, under the same rules, but with home ice advantage. So we know it's not a phyiscal issue, but mental. It must drive DW up the ****ing wall because he can fix physical issues by trades and acquisitions. But this pervasive of a mental issue is tough. All DW can do at this point is lean on DeBoer hard. He needs to avoid getting into a public shouting match with some players like last year.

I will say it again to get through LZ's teal colored glasses ;) -

• This is why the Sharks are not a cup contender or seriously being taken as one.
  • Don't bet on the Sharks on the 1st game of a homestand.

I hope you guys kept your vcash because the betting system here on HFB does not use odds system that would make it worthwhile.

Last edited:

Timo Time

73-9
Feb 21, 2012
San Jose, CA
Content with the 3rd spot. Bring on whoever has home ice. We're the best road team in the NHL. Getting a few bodies back before the first series and resting a few extra bodies prior will help.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Content with the 3rd spot. Bring on whoever has home ice. We're the best road team in the NHL. Getting a few bodies back before the first series and resting a few extra bodies prior will help.

Agreed.

If I was a miserable *****, I would wish all the playoff games were on the road.:laugh:

And BURN those black jerseys already, glad they won't be worn for the playoffs.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Maybe teams like the kings are not trying for bad teams like the sharks.
That is pretty ridiculous to say. When there are under 5 points separating teams and both teams are fighting for the 1st spot in the division, neither are bad teams.

It's probably likely that the three teams in the Pacific want to win the division championship. Looking the Kings record against the likely teams:

• 1-3-0 against the Ducks (one more game remaining which is the last game of the season)
  • 2-3-0 against the Sharks (series complete)
  • 1-2-0 against the Wild (series complete)
  • 2-1-0 against the Preds (series complete)

What are the hockey analysts saying on the question of whether the Sharks or the Preds are more dangerous to face in the first round:

• LeBrun: believes Ducks and Kings would want to avoid Sharks in 1st round. Believes that California teams would reather avoid another CA team in the 1st.
  • Burnside: believes Ducks and Kings would prefer facing the Sharks in the 1st round. Believes the Preds are a more difficult opponent due to Rinne and Johansen.
  • Custance: believes the Ducks and kings would prefer facing the Sharks in the 1st round. Reasoning is that coaches prefer less travel for this round. Another reason is the Ducks have done better opposing the Sharks than the Preds.

All three seem to prefer a Sharks - Kings matchup in the 1st as a viewer for the revenge factor from two seasons ago.

So, it's probably likely all three, Kings, Ducks, and Sharks, want to hoist a division champion banner, and that is what they are playing for. It would have been the Sharks by now if they would had their heads screwed on straight for home games. If they can mircalious sort out their mental issues at home come playoff time, Sharks have a good chance at hoisting a conferenceship banner next season. Although, I've not found any analyst specifically talking about how does the Sharks fall apart mentailly at home, but there's a decent agreement that a key will be Ward who's known to go into beast mode come playoffs.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
DeBoer is saying he is sick and tired of the team not being in the game mentally. Coaches always classify mistakes as physical or mental, and win/loss as physical or mental. Coaches have been doing this for many, many decades. You won't hear it talked about much unless your the guy they need to talk to about mentally getting into the game.

It's the mental aspect that keeps the Sharks from being a cup contender, but instead an early exit.

Here's the last home record:

• 4-11-1 =1st game in a homestand or a single game homestand
  • 5-3-1 =last game in a multi-game (2 or more) homestand
  • 7-6-1 =middle games in a multi-game (3 or more) homestand

It's the same Sharks, playing on the same rink dimensions, under the same rules, but with home ice advantage. So we know it's not a phyiscal issue, but mental. It must drive DW up the ****ing wall because he can fix physical issues by trades and acquisitions. But this pervasive of a mental issue is tough. All DW can do at this point is lean on DeBoer hard. He needs to avoid getting into a public shouting match with some players like last year.

I will say it again to get through LZ's teal colored glasses ;) -

• This is why the Sharks are not a cup contender or seriously being taken as one.
  • Don't bet on the Sharks on the 1st game of a homestand.

I hope you guys kept your vcash because the betting system here on HFB does not use odds system that would make it worthwhile.

Uhm...... Deboer basically said the EXACT opposite of what you're complaining about, last night.

He said he did not care they seemed less motivated to play Van last night, as the reality is, everyone knows we're in the playoffs, and most likely, even before last night, not getting home ice. It's 100% percent natural, and ok to lose some steam when the games mean nothing, and he said he was 100% confident the team will be mentally ready when it matters.

I for one like the honesty. Everyone knows it true, and all coaches and players I ever hear give the "no it shouldn't matter, we've gotta play hard and keep improving every game" nonsense. This team is 78 games into the season, the only major change that they can make in 4 games, is that someone could get seriously hurt trying too hard.

Rest the stars, heal bumps and bruises, get ready for the playoffs. The last 4 games this year are meaningless.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Uhm...... Deboer basically said the EXACT opposite of what you're complaining about, last night.

He said he did not care they seemed less motivated to play Van last night, as the reality is, everyone knows we're in the playoffs, and most likely, even before last night, not getting home ice. It's 100% percent natural, and ok to lose some steam when the games mean nothing, and he said he was 100% confident the team will be mentally ready when it matters.

I for one like the honesty. Everyone knows it true, and all coaches and players I ever hear give the "no it shouldn't matter, we've gotta play hard and keep improving every game" nonsense. This team is 78 games into the season, the only major change that they can make in 4 games, is that someone could get seriously hurt trying too hard.

Rest the stars, heal bumps and bruises, get ready for the playoffs. The last 4 games this year are meaningless.

I've liked DeBoer's disposition all season. Seems even-keeled and honest.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I've liked DeBoer's disposition all season. Seems even-keeled and honest.

One thing i noticed is when the sharks score a goal he looks like he is going to whip the players a new one. Watching highlights must confuse people with his expressions because he always looks like the sharks made the worst play ever that caused a goal against.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Sit Pavelski a few games. I'd like to see what someone else could do on Thornton and Hertl's wing, plus PavelskI doesn't seem 100% and he's also a guy I worry about due to his size.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Sit Pavelski a few games. I'd like to see what someone else could do on Thornton and Hertl's wing, plus PavelskI doesn't seem 100% and he's also a guy I worry about due to his size.

Absolutely. I'd say it'd be a good idea to give Marleau, Martin, and Burns a few games too. Maybe Thornton as well?

Jwec

Dec 21, 2015
Finland
I think Martin, Burns, Ward, Couture and Donskoi should get perhaps some rest on the last two regular season games.

I think on our last regular season game we could ice something like.

Hertl-Thornton-Spaling
Donskoi-Couture-Karlsson
Wingels-Marleau-Zubrus
Goodrow-Tierney-Haley

Vlasic-Burns
Dillon-Polak
DeMelo-Braun

Assuming Vlasic is being able to play before the playoffs starts. I hope that he will and I trust our management when they said that Vlasic will be back before the playoffs.

Last edited:

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA
I think Martin, Burns, Ward, Couture and Donskoi should get perhaps some rest on the last two regular season games.

I think on our last regular season game we could ice something like.

Hertl-Thornton-Spaling
Donskoi-Couture-Karlsson
Wingels-Marleau-Zubrus
Goodrow-Tierney-Haley

Vlasic-Burns
Dillon-Polak
DeMelo-Braun

Assuming Vlasic is being able to play before the playoffs starts. I hope that he will and I trust our management when they said that Vlasic will be back before the playoffs.

I'm wrapping Vlasic up in bubble wrap until game 1. I'd probably rest Wingels at least one of the last games too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad