GDT: Game 75: Columbus vs. Buffalo | 3/28 7PM

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Hope the Caps (and us) keep winning... Pens are a much better matchup and they look weak with all the injuries. Can never discount Crosby and their youth stepping up, but we have Dubi and Bob playing good and everyone else can do their jobs.

Columbus Mike

2015-16 CBJ
Feb 21, 2008
Nice win, but thought the Sabres really outplayed us. That is a good up and coming young team. Without Bob, I think they win this game.

Moving on.

Half of our struggles was this...I think the Sabres have a nice team. Having seen them three times now in about a month, I don't know why their record isn't better.

As far as our struggles, we just seem completely out of sync. When we exit a zone, passes that used to be crisp to tape are into skates. Just enough to kill the rhythm of the play. It's like we are half a step behind everywhere, and it's such an effort to clear the zone we can't get a good forecheck going.

Hopefully the Blackhawks bring their A-game tonight and get us two points closer to home ice.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
This team would be falling off a cliff (like San Jose, Wild, Rangers) if not for Bob turning into an actual wall. Giving up 42 shots to the crappy Sabres?? Good lord, we're going to get outshot 40-20 in the playoffs at this rate and I just don't think Bob can stand on his head that long, especially against Murray and/or Holtby.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Nice win, but thought the Sabres really outplayed us. That is a good up and coming young team. Without Bob, I think they win this game.

Moving on.

Half of our struggles was this...I think the Sabres have a nice team. Having seen them three times now in about a month, I don't know why their record isn't better.

As far as our struggles, we just seem completely out of sync. When we exit a zone, passes that used to be crisp to tape are into skates. Just enough to kill the rhythm of the play. It's like we are half a step behind everywhere, and it's such an effort to clear the zone we can't get a good forecheck going.

Hopefully the Blackhawks bring their A-game tonight and get us two points closer to home ice.

Not to mention Sabres were missing two of their best players in Ristolainen and Okposo.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Boone Jenner looks lean as heck. He is really dialed in physically for the playoffs

His face looks like a axe murderer to be honest. I like it.

Totally agree: the Jenner Dubi Anderson line is going to be a key to our playoff fortune. They need to make people pay for taking liberties with our players - having OB out for so long after getting trucked from behind is going to make the opposition think they can bully us off our game. We need these 3 amigo's to bring the diesel out of the warehouse and start pounding the other teams into submission. Hartzy can come in to clean it up when the battle has been won.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Totally agree: the Jenner Dubi Anderson line is going to be a key to our playoff fortune. They need to make people pay for taking liberties with our players - having OB out for so long after getting trucked from behind is going to make the opposition think they can bully us off our game. We need these 3 amigo's to bring the diesel out of the warehouse and start pounding the other teams into submission. Hartzy can come in to clean it up when the battle has been won.

You're right. Probably need two "heavy" lines (and yes, for those keeping score, I've always hated the term) for the playoffs.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Too many guys aren't playing well right now. We need to get this turned around over the next 10 days.

Bob is simply superb. Vezina award for starters.

I hope everyone remembers how valuable he is to this team when he has those inevitable rough patches that everyone goalie goes through.

major major

Feb 18, 2013

The Sabres are built like the Jackets of a few years back. Really heavy forecheck looks impressive - but they don't have the passing/playmaking/finishing. They're one of the worst teams at even strength scoring.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
This team would be falling off a cliff (like San Jose, Wild, Rangers) if not for Bob turning into an actual wall. Giving up 42 shots to the crappy Sabres?? Good lord, we're going to get outshot 40-20 in the playoffs at this rate and I just don't think Bob can stand on his head that long, especially against Murray and/or Holtby.

Shots aren't always scoring chances. How many times over the years have the CBJ outshot opponents only to still lose 3-1?

It was a pretty dreadful game, but given the defense and goaltending, they won. And that's ok.

major major

Feb 18, 2013

That trio is great but if we can't get the other three lines going they might have to be split. Torts already went to the blender last game.

It would be one thing if they just happened to have great chemistry, and then you wouldn't split them. But they're great because those three are our best forecheckers regardless of the line they're on.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Shots aren't always scoring chances. How many times over the years have the CBJ outshot opponents only to still lose 3-1?

It was a pretty dreadful game, but given the defense and goaltending, they won. And that's ok.

"Expected goals for" favored Buffalo and we were "out-Corsi'ed" (so to speak) fairly heavily.

Our possession stats have fallen off a cliff and now resemble what we looked like in February.

Make no mistake, without Bob going HAM his last 12 starts, we'd resemble Minnesota or San Jose over the last 3 weeks. Getting outshot 40-20 is a recipe for disaster against Holtby or Murray in the playoffs.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I think it's a good thing we're not firing on all cyclinders right now. We look like ****, but Bob is keeping us in it. And we're still finding ways to win. But I don't want to get hot too early.

While yes Wennberg maybe struggling, Dubi has been playing pretty damn well lately. And yes our PP has looked abysmal, but our PK has been a force.

Playing so many tight games and winning them should be a boost for these guys heading into the playoffs. They know they can win if they just play a smart, physical and fast brand of hockey. You don't just luck your way into the presidents trophy race.

Last edited:

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
It's something like 11-90 in the last 38 games (I can't remember exactly the number).

We're sitting at 8th in PK right now (82.8%) and somehow we're still top 10 in the PP at 9 (20.6%)

Dont know the game by game break down and way to lazy to do that on my phone

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
Boone Jenner looks lean as heck. He is really dialed in physically for the playoffs

His face looks like a axe murderer to be honest. I like it.

I've started to think Boone has little to no sense of humor. I think that about lots of people, because when I tell jokes I get nothing, but in Boone's case it's pretty funny. I want to watch that Behind the Battle again where he's among the guys picking players because I don't think he laughs much in it, and there's some real jocularity going on there.

Derby

Pilsners in Prague
Sponsor
Dec 30, 2009
Ohio
I've started to think Boone has little to no sense of humor. I think that about lots of people, because when I tell jokes I get nothing, but in Boone's case it's pretty funny. I want to watch that Behind the Battle again where he's among the guys picking players because I don't think he laughs much in it, and there's some real jocularity going on there.

He's a fairly shy guy. Remember his first year during interviews he rarely looked into the camera or at the interviewer? He's come a long way. Polite, well mannered ( off ice ) but inherently reserved off ice. Not every player needs to be Foligno or Hartnell.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
And then there's Sedsy who is always laughing. Some guy in a scrum will punch him in the face and Sedsy will be unable to stifle the laughter.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
He's a fairly shy guy. Remember his first year during interviews he rarely looked into the camera or at the interviewer? He's come a long way. Polite, well mannered ( off ice ) but inherently reserved off ice. Not every player needs to be Foligno or Hartnell.

yeah, I didn't mean it as a criticism. But some part of Boone and smiling/laughing could be incorporated into a drinking game somehow, I'm sure of it

Derby

Pilsners in Prague
Sponsor
Dec 30, 2009
Ohio
yeah, I didn't mean it as a criticism. But some part of Boone and smiling/laughing could be incorporated into a drinking game somehow, I'm sure of it

Well, you wouldn't get very drunk for sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad