GDT: Game 72: Red Wings at caps 7:00 pm et 3/26/24 (ESPN+, HULU)

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Caps fan here. Hey, we're trying to tank here. WTH is wrong with your team? I don't remember seeing a slide like this in all my years of watching professional sports. I'm not so mad at the Caps as I am disgusted with the Detroit Red Wings. Your players should be denied their salaries. They should be sent to the front lines of one of the current global wars. Maybe that will wake them up.

Cr*p. My stupid team is going to make it in as the last wildcard and be bounced out in the first round. And then they'll have to settle for a low draft pick. Meanwhile, Pittsburgh will somehow luck into getting a franchise player. Again.

And its all the Red Wings fault!
If you think you’re mad at the Red Wings - just think about how upset we are!

Reactions: JohanFranzenstein

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
It just wasn't soon enough!
That is an objectively correct statement. People are bitching about Ed being too cute with the puck movement, or hanging on to the puck under pressure, or not playing with a sense of urgency. He's doing exactly what the AHL taught him to do.

We want you to be a Top Gun pilot for us. Please practice in this crop duster all year long...

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I would have bet money DRWs make the playoffs this season. And I would have lost. But this is the most exciting hockey I've seen in years from this team. They are/were in the regular season playoffs. It's been a nailbiter.

While I love a good 'feel good' story and the excitement of the postseason, missing gets better picks. This team isn't there yet.

I'm content with the 2023/24 season. It's been fun. I hope they compete for a spot right up to the end. I won't be mad if they miss.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
I would have bet money DRWs make the playoffs this season. And I would have lost. But this is the most exciting hockey I've seen in years from this team. They are/were in the regular season playoffs. It's been a nailbiter.

While I love a good 'feel good' story and the excitement of the postseason, missing gets better picks. This team isn't there yet.

I'm content with the 2023/24 season. It's been fun. I hope they compete for a spot right up to the end. I won't be mad if they miss.
There's always the draft lottery.

ce3b5e3f-c4c0-4ce8-a2aa-cf13f7805481_text.gif

Reactions: FMichael

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Jonatan Berggren is our Lord and Savior,
May 11, 2023
That is an objectively correct statement. People are bitching about Ed being too cute with the puck movement, or hanging on to the puck under pressure, or not playing with a sense of urgency. He's doing exactly what the AHL taught him to do.

We want you to be a Top Gun pilot for us. Please practice in this crop duster all year long...

Better to learn in the speeder bullseyeing womprats than learning on the fly attacking the Death Star.

I’d much rather a guy like Ed come up and have the confidence to play a bit loose with the puck than have him come up shitting a brick when a forecheck comes.

I don’t know when everyone got this dipshit idea that you can only learn how to play professionally if you’re playing in the NHL.

It’s a lot easier to now work with a guy like Edvinsson and say “that AHL shit doesn’t fly here and you saw it first hand” then have him come up earlier looking over his shoulder, scared shitless of screwing up.

He’s a really good player. This season gave him the confidence to step into a big role and I feel confident he’ll keep building on it.

Reactions: SantosHalper

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Better to learn in the speeder bullseyeing womprats than learning on the fly attacking the Death Star.

I’d much rather a guy like Ed come up and have the confidence to play a bit loose with the puck than have him come up shitting a brick when a forecheck comes.

I don’t know when everyone got this dipshit idea that you can only learn how to play professionally if you’re playing in the NHL.

It’s a lot easier to now work with a guy like Edvinsson and say “that AHL shit doesn’t fly here and you saw it first hand” then have him come up earlier looking over his shoulder, scared shitless of screwing up.

He’s a really good player. This season gave him the confidence to step into a big role and I feel confident he’ll keep building on it.
Every coach he's had has bitched that Ed is ice cold and just doesn't fluster even when he probably should. I think he'd have been fine coming up last season and being up all year this season.

Starting next year with Ed at 100+ games of NHL experience instead of what... 15-20? would serve the team much better moving forward. All we did is delay the experience accumulation portion of Ed's career, which in turn pushes our ability to fully compete even further out.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Every coach he's had has bitched that Ed is ice cold and just doesn't fluster even when he probably should. I think he'd have been fine coming up last season and being up all year this season.

Starting next year with Ed at 100+ games of NHL experience instead of what... 15-20? would serve the team much better moving forward. All we did is delay the experience accumulation portion of Ed's career, which in turn pushes our ability to fully compete even further out.
We? Isn't it Yzerman's decision?

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007

Just missing out on the playoffs is quite literally the worst place to finish. And it's not like the younger players have been experiencing battling for the playoffs, it's players like Perron/Chiarot/Petry/Copp/Fischer/Ghost, mediocre veteran players leading this team nowhere. What a disaster of a rebuild this has been so far.

Reactions: GMR

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Just missing out on the playoffs is quite literally the worst place to finish. And it's not like the younger players have been experiencing battling for the playoffs, it's players like Perron/Chiarot/Petry/Copp/Fischer/Ghost, mediocre veteran players leading this team nowhere. What a disaster of a rebuild this has been so far.
Just missing out would be the absolute worst thing that could happen at this point. Might as well tank all the way if we are not going to make it or want to make it at this point.

side bar:

I just found out how to change HF Boards to dark mode. This is a game changer.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004

Just missing out would be the absolute worst thing that could happen at this point. Might as well tank all the way if we are not going to make it or want to make it at this point.

side bar:

I just found out how to change HF Boards to dark mode. This is a game changer.

When going from the worst team in the league to a playoff team, you likely will have to pass through the middle at some point. Not all teams can jump from garbage to playoffs with no inbetween. Particularly teams with no generational talent.

Missing the playoffs will be frustrating because they were in such a good spot not long ago, but I reject this notion if you're not gonna make the playoffs just keep tanking endlessly. You have to try and build a team at some point and be competitive.

Playoffs or not, this has been the most entertaining season I can remember watching in many years.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Only if your team is as good as it can possibly be without massive trades being involved. IE a team that has been in for a while and is slowly fading out (Wash or Pitt). If your competition window is just starting to open up it's fine. We have five 1st round picks from the last 3 drafts that aren't integrated into the lineup yet.

You can't go from basement to competitor in one year, just doesn't work like that. At some point you've got to be mediocre on the way up.

edit - seems like someone else was typing the exact same thing....

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
Only if your team is as good as it can possibly be without massive trades being involved. IE a team that has been in for a while and is slowly fading out (Wash or Pitt). If your competition window is just starting to open up it's fine. We have five 1st round picks from the last 3 drafts that aren't integrated into the lineup yet.

You can't go from basement to competitor in one year, just doesn't work like that. At some point you've got to be mediocre on the way up.

edit - seems like someone else was typing the exact same thing....
Yeah Detroit is currently stuck in the mediocre phase. We have been for 3 years. The sad reality is none of the pieces Detroit has in the system have the ability to turn this team into a contender.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Yeah Detroit is currently stuck in the mediocre phase. We have been for 3 years. The sad reality is none of the pieces Detroit has in the system have the ability to turn this team into a contender.
Then no team does and nothing will change for anyone ever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad