GDT: Game 72: Predators @ Pittsburgh Penguins | 4.10.22 | 3pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mass

Feb 18, 2013
Baltimore, MD
Pittsburgh fans can go sit on a tack
They were crying all game. Not as bad as Philly fans but still pretty bad. One guy figured he’d tell me Forsberg was a dirty prick and so was the entire team to my back when we were walking up in the aisles in Intermission. I think he just said it because that was the name on my jersey, but I figured a yinzer being able to read and pronounce “Forsberg” was progress, so good for them.

Either way solid game, lots of dumb turnovers from both sides, just so happens it bit the Preds this time.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
My last comment in this thread.

F@$k Malkin!

I hope he does get a few games since Boro never returned.
It shouldn't surprise me, but there are homers arguing it was deserved because he was a scrub trying to "mug" a star player. :eyeroll:

I seem to come to this realization every few years, but I find my enjoyment of the sport is inversely proportional to how much time I spend reading message boards related to it.

Reactions: 101st_fan

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
It shouldn't surprise me, but there are homers arguing it was deserved because he was a scrub trying to "mug" a star player. :eyeroll:

I seem to come to this realization every few years, but I find my enjoyment of the sport is inversely proportional to how much time I spend reading message boards related to it.
I think they should have called the penalties differently, but trying to be objective I would absolutely support Forsberg or Josi or Duchene doing something like that if some thug/scrub player was mugging them. Star players should not feel obligated to fight toughguys. If they're coming at you, it's fine to use your stick to defend yourself. Just if it goes wrong, sure, you might get penalized, and/or they might get hurt. That's the risk each side takes in that situation. Star player might get a load of PIMs, thug might get a mouthful of composite. Fair enough.

Only problem here is Malkin didn't get the right penalties. Two minutes for slashing, major and game misconduct should have been his punishment for defending himself. But I'd be fine with Forsberg or Josi or Duchene taking that penalty smorgasborg and doing the same thing in a similar situation. (Although I feel like in that situation anybody who tried mugging our stars would soon be hearing from Jeannot and friends too... Pens might not have that kind of backup. :dunno: )

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I think they should have called the penalties differently, but trying to be objective I would absolutely support Forsberg or Josi or Duchene doing something like that if some thug/scrub player was mugging them. Star players should not feel obligated to fight toughguys. If they're coming at you, it's fine to use your stick to defend yourself. Just if it goes wrong, sure, you might get penalized, and/or they might get hurt. That's the risk each side takes in that situation. Star player might get a load of PIMs, thug might get a mouthful of composite. Fair enough.

Only problem here is Malkin didn't get the right penalties. Two minutes for slashing, major and game misconduct should have been his punishment for defending himself. But I'd be fine with Forsberg or Josi or Duchene taking that penalty smorgasborg and doing the same thing in a similar situation. (Although I feel like in that situation anybody who tried mugging our stars would soon be hearing from Jeannot and friends too... Pens might not have that kind of backup. :dunno: )

I mean at least from the videos I've seen nothing really justifies Malkin's reaction. A bit of a bump going out of the zone doesn't deserve a crosscheck straight to the face as retribution. It's not like Boro was giving him repeated shots in front of the net or something.

Reactions: MilesNewton

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I mean at least from the videos I've seen nothing really justifies Malkin's reaction. A bit of a bump going out of the zone doesn't deserve a crosscheck straight to the face as retribution. It's not like Boro was giving him repeated shots in front of the net or something.
First video on the main page thread shows Boro was going straight at him. He didn't get very far but those outstretched mitts were going to be collaring Malkin soon. Vicious by Malkin, but again, I would support our star players proactively and viciously defending themselves from an oncoming thug like that.

Of course, I also support Borowiecki going after an opposing star like that too. It's his job.

All in all, it's just hockey on both sides. It's just the refs who dropped the ball on the penalty calls.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
First video on the main page thread shows Boro was going straight at him. He didn't get very far but those outstretched mitts were going to be collaring Malkin soon. Vicious by Malkin, but again, I would support our star players proactively and viciously defending themselves from an oncoming thug like that.

Of course, I also support Borowiecki going after an opposing star like that too. It's his job.

All in all, it's just hockey on both sides. It's just the refs who dropped the ball on the penalty calls.

You're talking about after Malkin already broke Boro's stick? It just seems to me that Malkin wanted to initiate things just as much as Boro did so he doesn't get to turn around and play the superstar just protecting himself defense.

Either way yeah it's something that happens in hockey but Malkin should get a couple game suspension and additional rep as a guy who has a temper and throws cheap shots when it flairs up. The missed penalty calls is what really kills that situation, because we didn't get the benefit from the whole thing that we should have.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I think the " star player " is a joke. You are a hockey player, you are on the ice, thinking you deserve special treatment just because of the name attached to the back is laughable. Malkin was tired of getting hit, he saw Boro coming and put his stick in his teeth. If the roles had been reversed Boro would have been kicked out and would be on a flight to the league offices after the game. This special treatment is garbage.

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017
You're talking about after Malkin already broke Boro's stick? It just seems to me that Malkin wanted to initiate things just as much as Boro did so he doesn't get to turn around and play the superstar just protecting himself defense.

Either way yeah it's something that happens in hockey but Malkin should get a couple game suspension and additional rep as a guy who has a temper and throws cheap shots when it flairs up. The missed penalty calls is what really kills that situation, because we didn't get the benefit from the whole thing that we should have.
Pens fan here. Malkin should have gotten a double and should get a few games suspension. But Boro not totally innocent. But agree Malkin deserves suspension of some sort. That kind of viciousness is just awful. Shame on him.

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
Malkin can play dirty his "fall" on chris Wideman or not being able to stop was a season ending injury or could have been a possible career ending injury for Wideman when he was with Ottawa just one example. Always thought Malkin was one of the dirtier players on that team, and was surprised how often it was overlooked by refs/media/fans, probably due to his good timing and his all-star status.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad