GDT: [Game #72] Dallas Stars vs. Pittsburgh Penguins – 8:00 PM CT (ESPN)

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
There is a difference between Razo making excuses for the team and puns.

I think there was a thread here years ago on his "best" razorisms and I generally enjoyed them. I haven't heard any new ones in a few years IIRC. I still use adapted versions of his "treats me like a baby treats a diaper" on occasion. His jokes about being as confused as a goat on astroturf and the diarrhea jokes never really hit home with me.

As to his gentle critiques and excuses for the team, you just have to understand who pays his salary. I think he is pretty open about some problems (i.e., the PP has been problematic for some time now" but gentle on the home team. I don't see anything wrong with that and anyone who thinks he ought to sharply critique his employers will probably have to wait a long time for that to change. R and R were a bit edgier at one point, once getting a reprimand by the NHL for their critiques of some call or official many years ago. I think they called for a protest or something, but details are sketchy in my mind and I am not going to look that one up.

Reactions: LT

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
There is a difference between Razo making excuses for the team and puns.

I think there was a thread here years ago on his "best" razorisms and I generally enjoyed them. I haven't heard any new ones in a few years IIRC. I still use adapted versions of his "treats me like a baby treats a diaper" on occasion. His jokes about being as confused as a goat on astroturf and the diarrhea jokes never really hit home with me.

As to his gentle critiques and excuses for the team, you just have to understand who pays his salary. I think he is pretty open about some problems (i.e., the PP has been problematic for some time now" but gentle on the home team. I don't see anything wrong with that and anyone who thinks he ought to sharply critique his employers will probably have to wait a long time for that to change. R and R were a bit edgier at one point, once getting a reprimand by the NHL for their critiques of some call or official many years ago. I think they called for a protest or something, but details are sketchy in my mind and I am not going to look that one up.
When I watched via center ice for a decade, I got to listen to many other teams' versions of what the Stars have on BSSW, and there are a lot of truly god awful broadcast crews. Yes, Razor treats the Stars with kid gloves. That's not special to him. That's the job. And most crews I've heard are far far more homerish than Razor. I also enjoy making fun of Razor's selective use of the tired excuse, but he's not a full on cheerleader like you find in many RSN booths. Turn on a Bruins game if you want maybe the worst one going.

Shit, on a night the Stars don't play, turn on a Mavs game. There you'll get a couple of guys who are militant MFFL soldiers who will tell you every move the Mavs have ever made is perfect and every player is a hero.

I liked hearing the ESPN broadcast last night. This was one of their better crews. Sure, they made a couple of mistakes, but that always happens when a national broadcast crew drops in to call two teams they probably haven't done a game for in weeks or months. But it's fun to hear how national crews talk about your players.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Looks like fake Matt Murray was called up. Wonder if he gets the start on Saturday.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad