Post-Game Talk: GAME 71 - Celine Dion = Titanic - NYR 5 BRUINS 2

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Celine Dion is not everyone's cup of tea and that is ok. As I fan, I thought it was cool that she was there and looking healthy and happy. She wasn't the reason they lost.

Monty needs to ride Ullmark a few games in a row while Swayman works out the yips. His positioning has been off since the all star game.

Marchand really needs to relax about getting #400. It has distracted him and he's an absolute mess.

Lindholm has to be better. Too many dumb plays in and around the net. Inexcusable. Get your shit together Hampus.

Get a good practice in today and then plaster Philly tomorrow.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Poitras, Lauko, Beecher, and now Brazeau.

We have rookies that can play the NHL game.
THAT is what I wanted most to see this season.

Regardless of the postseason results, THIS is the season win for me.
A lot of people adjusted their expectations because of how well they were doing but this is how I see it too.

Good transition year regardless what happens in the playoffs they should be an even better team next year

duffy

Feb 12, 2006
The Rangers just have the edge on us this season. The Bruins' record against teams in playoff positions is otherwise favorable: 20-7-7. So what are NY doing that works for them against us? Or is it pure luck or simply due to the nature and grind of a long schedule? Interesting to ponder as we head towards the postseason and consider possible matchups and ways teams will try to beat the Bs.
The. Rangers do what all good teams do to Bruins, they forecheck fast and hard and know that Bruin players will eventually hand them the puck in an awesome scoring area! The Bruin goaltending hides a lot of warts but playing against both teams most nights has to be draining. Gryzz and Shatty should not be in the lineup for any reason and Carlo most nights should also be limited to 3rd pair minutes. We only have 2 D who play well when the rough stuff starts and only McAvoy played last night. Wotherspoon should never be out of the lineup for the 2 I mentioned above.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
For these up coming games against the lightning and Panthers Id like to see monty try putting Lorhei with Carlo and Lindholm with Mcavoy. 3rd pairing should be Wotherspoon and Peake.
Last night we missed Lorheis skill on the power play. Maybe start putting him in there against some good teams and see how he does.
Also on forward, he has to start playing beecher more. Id even like to see him up a line for a game or 2.
Brazeau- try him out on first or second line RW for a couple shifts.
Our power play last night was the worst Ive seen it all season. Credit given to the Rangers, They knew to pressure our power play because Mcavoy and pasta playing last guy back, with sometimes Marchand and they would have a field day.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
sort of amusing that monty took heat for riding one goalie in playoffs after the rotation all year last year, and now may get ridden for not riding one goalie lol

poor guy can't win
I always ride the hot goalie. Thats how Ive always wanted it.
Last season after Ullmark had a weak game 5, I was begging for Swayman for game 6

Reactions: Roll 4 Lines

SwayHeyKid

Living by faith, not by sight.
Mar 14, 2022
Poitras, Lauko, Beecher, and now Brazeau.

We have rookies that can play the NHL game.
THAT is what I wanted most to see this season.

Regardless of the postseason results, THIS is the season win for me.
Honestly though how can that be? If they are first or second overall and lose first round the season is still a win? I get have minimal expectations when the season starts, but over 6-7 months they have shown they should be a successful play-off team, I think that is letting them off the hook, and IMO this group has alot to prove in the postseason.

ae530

Mar 22, 2024
I don’t think this defence can win in the playoffs. Carlo and Lindholm have to put their big boy pants on and start playing with some snarl. Wotherspoon sitting makes no sense to me at all. At least he has some jam to his game and gives an all out effort

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Honestly though how can that be? If they are first or second overall and lose first round the season is still a win? I get have minimal expectations when the season starts, but over 6-7 months they have shown they should be a successful play-off team, I think that is letting them off the hook, and IMO this group has alot to prove in the postseason.
Yes, making the playoffs in a bridge season IS a success in my book.
No, I do not think the group is good enough to challenge for a cup over the competition in the East let alone the West as well. So I expect the Bruins to be eliminated at some point. Whether that is in rounds 1, 2, 3, or the cup final it does not matter. Technically speaking there is only one winning team in the NHL playoffs if we are measuring it in successes. Regardless of how they do in the postseason, it will NOT affect what the GM does this summer to rebuild a more solid team next year. Losing in round 1 does not make them terrible, nor does losing in round 2, or even 3. Toronto? Yes, because they, apparently, have multiple cup-winning high-end talent in the Core 4, so any round eliminations are losses for them and their fanbase. We have David Pastrnak and his Merry Men behind the Hadrians Wall of Ullmark/Swayman.

Without our elite Goaltending tandem I have no doubt the entire board here is complaining incessantly about how Don should be fired for trading our 1st this year and how boring the draft will be because we have no picks.

I'm rather enjoying how the team is overachieving to everyone's surprise and given the fans something to talk about and enjoy this season.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I don’t think this defence can win in the playoffs. Carlo and Lindholm have to put their big boy pants on and start playing with some snarl. Wotherspoon sitting makes no sense to me at all. At least he has some jam to his game and gives an all out effort

Welcome to the jungle..er, board!!!! We have cookies here! :welcome:

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
No, I do not think the group is good enough to challenge for a cup over the competition in the East let alone the West as well. So I expect the Bruins to be eliminated at some point. Whether that is in rounds 1, 2, 3, or the cup final it does not matter. Technically speaking there is only one winning team in the NHL playoffs if we are measuring it in successes. Regardless of how they do in the postseason, it will NOT affect what the GM does this summer to rebuild a more solid team next year. Losing in round 1 does not make them terrible, nor does losing in round 2, or even 3. Toronto? Yes, because they, apparently, have multiple cup-winning high-end talent in the Core 4, so any round eliminations are losses for them and their fanbase. We have David Pastrnak and his Merry Men behind the Hadrians Wall of Ullmark/Swayman.

Without our elite Goaltending tandem I have no doubt the entire board here is complaining incessantly about how Don should be fired for trading our 1st this year and how boring the draft will be because we have no picks.

I'm rather enjoying how the team is overachieving to everyone's surprise and given the fans something to talk about and enjoy this season.
well said, I have flip/flopped all year with this team. Prior to the year beginning, I resigned myself to the belief they`d be in tough for a playoff spot, was left uninspired by the signings of JVR/Shattenkirk, always a Heinen fanboy though

Then the boys go out and hang around or are in 1st place in the league and I suddenly lose perspective when they put up a stinker here and there and forget all about how they have exceeded my expectations

I do think that extra 15 pts from losing the game contribute to my amnesia about this being a good, but far from great team.

I still think they are far too soft for a team hoping to make a long run. For me, if this team escapes the first round and gets bounced in the 2nd, I will do my best to remain calm and remember this was a successful year.

Got long looks at a few kids and I feel good knowing Poitras, Beech, Lohrei will be long time B`s, got a nice story still unfolding in Brazz and this summer, a nice chunk of change to make additions

SwayHeyKid

Living by faith, not by sight.
Mar 14, 2022

I actually do agree with this, and no I am not expecting a Cup win, but how am I going to praise the GM for building a top team if in fact they aren't a top team?

I do have expectations of a round or two. Another round one ouster and you're looking at three straight years, and two rounds won total last five. Still wouldn't make me fire anyone, and I think next year will be pivotal, so I totally understand what you are saying.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
well said, I have flip/flopped all year with this team. Prior to the year beginning, I resigned myself to the belief they`d be in tough for a playoff spot, was left uninspired by the signings of JVR/Shattenkirk, always a Heinen fanboy though

Then the boys go out and hang around or are in 1st place in the league and I suddenly lose perspective when they put up a stinker here and there and forget all about how they have exceeded my expectations

I do think that extra 15 pts from losing the game contribute to my amnesia about this being a good, but far from great team.

I still think they are far too soft for a team hoping to make a long run. For me, if this team escapes the first round and gets bounced in the 2nd, I will do my best to remain calm and remember this was a successful year.

Got long looks at a few kids and I feel good knowing Poitras, Beech, Lohrei will be long time B`s, got a nice story still unfolding in Brazz and this summer, a nice chunk of change to make additions
AHHhhhhh, I knew I was forgetting one. Sorry, Mason Lohrei.

A season in which we play our kids and find out that some can swim and not sink is vastly underrated IMO.
Poitras looks like a real keep, he has the skills to be an NHL player and the will to make it a notable career. The last player I said that about was Bergeron. Not saying Poitras will be a HoFer, but no one though the bleached blond soft kid at center would be our 1C for his entire career, either. Excited to see how Potsy grows over the years.
Beecher is an effective center with some defensive warts. That is to be expected. He is possibly our most reliable faceoff center atm and shows flashes of offense on the 4th line. I think Beecher can become a future Coylish player if we continue to give him the time and opportunity to learn at the NHL level.
Brazeau is an overage rookie. He was drafted and let go by the Leafs who realized he would just not be able to skate with the likes of their offense.
Their loss is our gain. Skating can be helped with training and effort, not completely, but improved. Backes realized that. The same can be said of Brazeau who has shown a veteran's eye with the effort to score in the dirty areas. He makes our current 4th line a threat every shift. Staple him to a skating and edgework coach this summer. Resign JVR another season if need be to teach the kid. JVR is what Justin should aim for his career to be modeled after and has a chance to learn from the same guy. Perfect.
Lohrei is playing NHL games in a top 4 role a year sooner than I expected due to injuries. He has proven he has enough offense to be worth keeping in the lineup over other vets and His defense is slowly improving. He has taken his opportunities and impressed management with them. As long as you are willing to forgive the occasional defensive stanank as he grows and learns the game I'd say he has earned himself a roster post on this team. Surprising, IMO.

4 unexpected gifts this season so far that give Boston fans reason to be hopeful going forward. Not bad for one of if not the "worst prospect pools" in the NHL. I'd call this season not only successful but notably so.

Before the season started last October we had hopes for our kids. Now we have watched that be realized and have seen names we did not expect to be playing be contributors.

Again, I think that is cause for positivity looking on this season regardless of what happens in the playoffs.

ae530

Mar 22, 2024
Welcome to the nut house!
I finally decided to join the discussion board. Been a die hard Bruins fan since 1968 when I was 5 years old and watching Toronto play Boston with my Leaf loving parents. All I remember hearing was this guy named Bobby Orr and right then and there I became a fan of the Bruins. Some great seasons along the way but also a lot of disappointment, but once you become a fan of this team it gets in your blood and you can never become a fan of any other team.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Celine is probably a Habs fan so she cursed us I guess.

Really the Rangers were just better than the Bruins. Not by a lot, but by more than enough. I don't like our chances of going far in the playoffs.

Brazzeau continues to do what he does really well and maybe they should work him in to PP1. He is a load in front.
Give it more time, but not impressed with Peeke. Wotherspoon was just as good and most nights better.
We can beat the leafs. Maybe Detroit. Probably Philly, but after that nobody else imo.
Brasseau is a load at net front and scoring lately but not parked in front when they pulled goalie. Clearly some favoritism going on, because he definitely is one of Bruins better players when it comes to hands around the net .Monty was wrong not putting him out there in my opinion. .

Is Brazeau an NHL 20 goal scorer some day? Wow
If he gets that PP time definitely

BourqueFromORRk4277

formerly POPNDOUGH
Mar 25, 2010
Somerville MA
The. Rangers do what all good teams do to Bruins, they forecheck fast and hard and know that Bruin players will eventually hand them the puck in an awesome scoring area! The Bruin goaltending hides a lot of warts but playing against both teams most nights has to be draining. Gryzz and Shatty should not be in the lineup for any reason and Carlo most nights should also be limited to 3rd pair minutes. We only have 2 D who play well when the rough stuff starts and only McAvoy played last night. Wotherspoon should never be out of the lineup for the 2 I mentioned above.
Gryz was easily the B's best defenseman last night. He had freakin' 7 blocks.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
AHHhhhhh, I knew I was forgetting one. Sorry, Mason Lohrei.

A season in which we play our kids and find out that some can swim and not sink is vastly underrated IMO.
Poitras looks like a real keep, he has the skills to be an NHL player and the will to make it a notable career. The last player I said that about was Bergeron. Not saying Poitras will be a HoFer, but no one though the bleached blond soft kid at center would be our 1C for his entire career, either. Excited to see how Potsy grows over the years.
Beecher is an effective center with some defensive warts. That is to be expected. He is possibly our most reliable faceoff center atm and shows flashes of offense on the 4th line. I think Beecher can become a future Coylish player if we continue to give him the time and opportunity to learn at the NHL level.
Brazeau is an overage rookie. He was drafted and let go by the Leafs who realized he would just not be able to skate with the likes of their offense.
Their loss is our gain. Skating can be helped with training and effort, not completely, but improved. Backes realized that. The same can be said of Brazeau who has shown a veteran's eye with the effort to score in the dirty areas. He makes our current 4th line a threat every shift. Staple him to a skating and edgework coach this summer. Resign JVR another season if need be to teach the kid. JVR is what Justin should aim for his career to be modeled after and has a chance to learn from the same guy. Perfect.
Lohrei is playing NHL games in a top 4 role a year sooner than I expected due to injuries. He has proven he has enough offense to be worth keeping in the lineup over other vets and His defense is slowly improving. He has taken his opportunities and impressed management with them. As long as you are willing to forgive the occasional defensive stanank as he grows and learns the game I'd say he has earned himself a roster post on this team. Surprising, IMO.

4 unexpected gifts this season so far that give Boston fans reason to be hopeful going forward. Not bad for one of if not the "worst prospect pools" in the NHL. I'd call this season not only successful but notably so.

Before the season started last October we had hopes for our kids. Now we have watched that be realized and have seen names we did not expect to be playing be contributors.

Again, I think that is cause for positivity looking on this season regardless of what happens in the playoffs.
hard to argue with anything you said

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad