Pre-Game Talk: Game 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carl Swaglin

Apr 23, 2014
Middletown, NJ
if i new how to put my VCash on the game id put it all down, I remember that working well for everyone the year we made a run to the conference finals

edit: nevermind figured it out

Last edited:

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
This has been consistent throughout the duration of his career though, no? What's changed now?

I was just about to post the only consistent through his career in these situations has been Henrik Lundqvist. The teams have changed, the coaches have changed, the system has changed, the opponents have changed.

I still don't fully blame Lundqvist, but when he is the only constant he also has to be a part of the problem.

BarbaraAlphanse

Hes always had a team that has trouble scoring goals.

But, in the past, hes had a team that shows an interest/willingness to protect the front of the net. That wasn't there last night -- but I know, I know, Lundqvist should be expected to stop tap-ins because of his paycheck.

Mason's team let him out to dry last night too. Barraged in the first period. Breakaways, odd man rushes, wicked deflections... nothing went in.

No more excuses for Henrik. 0-11 in game 6 situations. 0 and ****ing 11. 3.27 GA.

I'm sure the team plays like **** in those games too, but he's not giving any team a shot to win a game with numbers like that.

He could have taken control of the game last night. He didn't. He gave up ridiculous rebounds for the 2nd goal, and then played the break away like a chump for the 3rd goal.

Girardi and McD didn't help him in the slightest, and even hurt him, but he's shown throughout his career his ability to control rebounds much better and be a hell of a lot more prepared for a breakaway than he was last night. Embarrassing.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
The Rangers take bad shots due to limited offensive ability

If it weren't for the cap. The Rangers would still be building "all-star teams."

I'm not sure this team looks like the proverbial contender even on paper.

Agree with your whole post but especially these points.

I'd probably add something about compete level, not just one or two players, but as a team they just seem content to compete just enough and when that does not cut it they don't seem to know where to go from there.

BarbaraAlphanse

I was just about to post the only consistent through his career in these situations has been Henrik Lundqvist. The teams have changed, the coaches have changed, the system has changed, the opponents have changed.

I still don't fully blame Lundqvist, but when he is the only constant he also has to be a part of the problem.

I don't fully blame him either, but he's definitely part of the team's success and failures.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Mason's team let him out to dry last night too. Barraged in the first period. Breakaways, odd man rushes, wicked deflections... nothing went in.

No more excuses for Henrik. 0-11 in game 6 situations. 0 and ****ing 11. 3.27 GA.

I'm sure the team plays like **** in those games too, but he's not giving any team a shot to win a game with numbers like that.

He could have taken control of the game last night. He didn't. He gave up ridiculous rebounds for the 2nd goal, and then played the break away like a chump for the 3rd goal.

Girardi and McD didn't help him in the slightest, and even hurt him, but he's shown throughout his career his ability to control rebounds much better and be a hell of a lot more prepared for a breakaway than he was last night. Embarrassing.

Its tough to argue with someone who has no idea what they were watching. Its even tougher to argue with those who insist on pinning a loss or a win on one or two players.

Mason made a great save on Pouliot in the 2nd period -- other than that, the game was a cakewalk for him.

Lundqvist made a # of very good saves too, including a great one right before the Flyer's first goal. The difference was that the Rangers allowed the Flyers to pound the net and the Rangers had little interest in doing so on the other end.

A goalie's #'s, often times, are only as good as the team in front of him -- especially in these small sample sizes.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY

That fact is wrong. It's not strictly game 6 situations, it's 0 for the last 11 games where his TEAM is leading a playoff series.

He's also won SEVEN games when his team is leading a playoff series. (3 in 2006-07, 3 in 2007-08, and 1 in 2008-09)

Facts.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
The one with a top 5 blueline, a top 3 goaltender, and a reigning Art Ross winner, with a 50+ point player on the 3rd line.

and all of that has added up to describing a team that is the epitome of mediocre.

Not far from mediocre.

And that top 5 D aside from McD has no offensive production.

The top three goalie has brain cramps at the worst possible moments.

A 50+ point player that was in fact out 2nd line. Richards got the minutes, but overall production from all three players shows that Poo-Brass-Zuccs was in fact the 2nd line.

Zeshy25

Oct 3, 2005
Here we go...Game 7. After last night's debacle and all the 0-11 in situations to take 2 game leads in the playoffs, I am not expecting much tonight. Honestly, McD has not looked like the stud he was, Zucc-line is awful (except for Zucc), and Hank has not been King-like. Best hope for tonight is Rangers get a couple quick goals and then play solid D to frustrate the Flyers. Honestly, I've been impressed with Rangers possession time and attack but, their defense has been atrocious. Its like we own the puck for 10 minutes and Flyers counterattack and score.
Let's go Rangers - Big game for Nash, Henrik, and McDonagh will carry the Rangers tonight.

AHB*

That fact is wrong. It's not strictly game 6 situations, it's 0 for the last 11 games where his TEAM is leading a playoff series.

He's also won SEVEN games when his team is leading a playoff series. (3 in 2006-07, 3 in 2007-08, and 1 in 2008-09)

Facts.

No need to defend him, he's been extremely mediocre thus far. If he steals the game tonight, all is well.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

Facts.

Anyone willing to dig up Lundqvist's game 7 #'s, you know, since we're all about stepping up in big moments now?

BarbaraAlphanse

Its tough to argue with someone who has no idea what they were watching. Its even tougher to argue with those who insist on pinning a loss or a win on one or two players.

Mason made a great save on Pouliot in the 2nd period -- other than that, the game was a cakewalk for him.

Lundqvist made a # of very good saves too, including a great one right before the Flyer's first goal. The difference was that the Rangers allowed the Flyers to pound the net and the Rangers had little interest in doing so on the other end.

A goalie's #'s, often times, are only as good as the team in front of him -- especially in these small sample sizes.

Don't act as if you know more than I do. Get off your high horse. We watched the same game. The only difference is that you turn a blind eye for some players and examine others under a microscope.

Henrik hasn't come up big in any of our losses. Not one above average game for him.

The first goal was unlucky, off of McD's skate. The 2nd goal? Oh my god the rebounds that Henrik gave. The 3rd goal? How many times have we see him skate a few strides, only to turtle back to his crease? The opposing team scores every time he does that. He wasn't decisive, he didn't anticipate the break away.

The game was over after that break away goal. Over.

The powerplay sucked. 3/6 of our defenders **** the bed. And we couldn't clear the crease/crash the net. But Henrik didn't ****ing help the team when it needed him most either. So stop acting like he's immune to any type of negative criticism.

It's tough to argue with people incapable of seeing reason either. Clearly for you, it's your way or manipulate someone else's viewpoint so that it fits your counter.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville

Facts.

Yes and if he gets credit for the wins a pat on the back he gets credit for the losses as well.

Look at the stats from those games. Both the forwards/defense and Lundqvist were bad. Everyone blew for the most part.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Anyone willing to dig up Lundqvist's game 7 #'s, you know, since we're all about stepping up in big moments now?

Off the top of my head, he's at least 2-1 with 1 shutout. Will edit as I dig.

2013 vs Washington. Win. 35 save shutout. Team gave him five goals of support.
2012 vs Ottawa. Win. 26/27 saves. 2 goals of support.
2012 vs Washington. Win. 22/23 saves. 2 goals of support.
2009 vs Washington. Loss. 22/24 saves. 1 goal of support.

3-1.

4 goals allowed in 4 games. 10 support goals (half in one game).

Aaaaaaaand I wasted my time :)

Last edited:

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
They need to score. That has been, is, and will be their problem every playoffs so long as they're constructed as they are. Heavy on D, heavy in goal. I get the logic of it, and I don't hate the concept. However, that means that scoring will be the problem.

Stop the cutesy BS plays. They aren't working. They worked at first, now they don't. Too bad. Adapt. Crash the crease. How is that so hard to understand and execute? Get someone in front of Mason and make life hard for him. That is basic offensive zone hockey. Nash, Poo, Miller, Boyle - go to the net. Let the smaller, more skilled guys, play their game while you go to the net. You don't need three guys trying skating around looking for hi-light reel goals when they aren't there.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville

That's the good news. All of the superstition stats and small sample sizes favor the Rangers tonight. For the same reasons everyone was pessimistic yesterday they should be thrilled today.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Some here say that Philly is clearly not as good as the Rangers. They also say everyone on the Rangers stinks. They also say the refs are biased against us. Funny stuff.

The season saw them separated by two points but most of you are incredulous that it is going 7 games. Where is the logic.

McDonagh is clearly not McDonagh. He is pretty badly hurt. Losing your best player has to make a difference, especially when his blue line partners generate near zero offense.

Hank has been fine this series. He made a mistake on one goal in the last game. Hang him.

The team that usually wins creates chaos in front of the opposing goalie. Philly has achieved this far more than the Rangers. Yet, we go to Game 7.

Everyone here knew before the season that this team had many flaws, but now most of you seem shocked by these very same flaws. You act as if we are owed victories. It's the Yankees fan mentality, but you can't buy success in the NHL.

Continue your incessant whining.

ImIdaho

Choo-Choo-Choose me!
Mar 21, 2012
I know I am beating a very, very dead horse but that PP is going to be the downfall of the Rangers. Sad thing is, so will the PK.

Look at the contrast. Rangers can't gain entry into the offensive zone, they are stifled on the line, they can't even properly dump and chase. The Flyers are brisk in getting into the zone, and since it isn't a headache for them to gain entry, they easily set-up. Once they set up, on come the multiple shots and chances.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
I know I am beating a very, very dead horse but that PP is going to be the downfall of the Rangers. Sad thing is, so will the PK.

Look at the contrast. Rangers can't gain entry into the offensive zone, they are stifled on the line, they can't even properly dump and chase. The Flyers are brisk in getting into the zone, and since it isn't a headache for them to gain entry, they easily set-up. Once they set up, on come the multiple shots and chances.

That will change tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad