GDT: Game 7: Stars @ Coyotes | 7:00 p.m. PDT | FS-A | 620 AM

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Not a huge fan of the luck and bounces talk from Stepan and Tocc. They were certainly a factor, but when your team makes as many huge f*** ups as we did you say "we made too many huge f*** ups. We need to do better."

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
Not a huge fan of the luck and bounces talk from Stepan and Tocc. They were certainly a factor, but when your team makes as many huge **** ups as we did you say "we made too many huge **** ups. We need to do better."

Normally i would agree with you, and typically i DO agree with you.

But imagine you just had a huge strong of f*** ups at your work. Would you react better to someone jumping down your throat? Or calling you out for your bullshit, but re-enforcing the positives at the same time? You do need positivity in a shitty situation, especially in a room full of young kids.

Like the praise on the Dvorak pass, I'm perfectly fine with that. They weren't celebrating, he was praising the positives to a youngster who had his nose pointed south.

Reactions: Sthlmyote

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Not a huge fan of the luck and bounces talk from Stepan and Tocc. They were certainly a factor, but when your team makes as many huge **** ups as we did you say "we made too many huge **** ups. We need to do better."

They will calmly go over it in video. Demers will get roasted in front of the team. But being negative in the press and throwing a fit helps nobody right now.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Normally i would agree with you, and typically i DO agree with you.

But imagine you just had a huge strong of **** ups at your work. Would you react better to someone jumping down your throat? Or calling you out for your bull****, but re-enforcing the positives at the same time? You do need positivity in a ****ty situation, especially in a room full of young kids.

Like the praise on the Dvorak pass, I'm perfectly fine with that. They weren't celebrating, he was praising the positives to a youngster who had his nose pointed south.
I'm totally cool the with praise on the Dvorak pass in the post game interview, or while taking off the pads, or really any other time. I still think seconds after the game ends just isn't the time. Positivity is necessary, and there were positives to take from the game, but I hate that the example shown to Dvo and Keller by one of our big leaders was "nice pass" literally seconds after we drop a very close and very winnable game.

They will calmly go over it in video. Demers will get roasted in front of the team. But being negative in the press and throwing a fit helps nobody right now.

I'm sure that's true, and I wouldn't want Stepan or Tocc to single Demers out, because he wasn't the only one who made mistakes. Stepan himself had some defensive mistakes that lead to goals. I loved that the overall tone and message was positive, but he could also make sure he says "I've got to play better". Keller has a 2 goals and an assist and the first thing he says is "I can't make that pass and turn the puck over". That's more what I would expect from Stepan not a 19 year old rookie.

I actually liked the vast majority of the Tocc interview, but replace " bounces or luck" with defensive mistakes or turnovers. Still overall very positive, but while acknowledging your mistakes. It doesn't even have to be a specific player or goal. I don't want rampant negativity or a fit, but I also don't want to hear about bounces when we gift wrapped several goals by making insanely dumb mistakes.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Well, not an overly horrible game (besides the loss). At least the first line showed up. I recommend they give the current roster one more game and then make some moves. Here are a few things to consider:
  • Send Fischer back to Tucson (bring up Merkley)
  • Kempe to Tucson (bring up Strome)
  • Sit Dvorak for a game or two.
  • Give Clendening a game instead of Schenn.
  • Check on Chychrun's health, we could use him in place of Connauton OR Schenn.
  • Check on Perlini's health.
  • Check on Raanta's health.
  • Try to move Domingue or waive him to Tucson (as much as I like him, it may be time to move on).
  • If possible (scratch-wise), Bring up Etem (and let him actually play a game)

Domi - Stepan - Keller
Duclair - Strome - Merkley
Martinook - Richardson - Rieder
Crouse - Rinaldo - Etem
~Cousins, Dvorak

OEL - Hjalms
Goligoski - Clendening
Connauton- Demers
~Schenn

Hill (until Raanta returns)
Langhamer

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
This game was winnable if only we had either less turnovers or better goaltending. Hill let in a couple of shots a better goalie would have saved. As to the turnovers, it's been covered page after page. If Raanta is all that and a bag of chips, he will be able to save the team from the sloppy play in front of him. If not, then we are royally screwed.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Some positives from this game for sure. But in the NHL, it still comes down to goal tending and mistakes. For all the fancy plays and rushes, mistakes and soft goals kill you. The team has to focus on not making mistakes. Make the simple play, cover your man. We still look like a train wreck from a fundamental perspective. Dallas is bad too, just not as bad. We were better and didn't get owned possession wise this game so that is good.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
How is it that this defense is this bad. Seriously, just play all forwards.

Schenn can't play at the pace expected or make clean passes. Clendening should be in. KConn doesn't want to move his feet and be a part of the play, Chychrun needs to come back. There isn't a single functional pairing right now and that's crazy.

jacobhockey13

used to watch hockey, then joined HF Boards
Apr 17, 2014
on the bench
I just watched the game and Hill wasn't great.

Also, in regards to the shaky defense, it lends more credence to the claim that Deangelo actually was pretty good defensively last year when he played.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Schenn can't play at the pace expected or make clean passes. Clendening should be in. KConn doesn't want to move his feet and be a part of the play, Chychrun needs to come back. There isn't a single functional pairing right now and that's crazy.

Once OEL gets his head out of his ass after 20 games, OEL-Hjalmarsson will be great.

I'm undecided whether I think Hjalmarsson or Keller has been our best player this season so far.

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
I'm undecided whether I think Hjalmarsson or Keller has been our best player this season so far.

I was going to say Hjalmarsson because he's literally been the only decent Dman and he's had no help whatsoever. Then again, you could say the same about Keller. God damn 19 year old rookie carrying our entire offense :laugh:

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
Losing sucks..but I would take this team over last years team any day .. Way more entertaining to watch , with the exception of the LasVegas game,

I still think we should have kept Burmistrov, and Vrbata would have provided 2nd or third line scoring.

Also . I Think Stepan could likely have been had without trading De'Angelo . But I still think this team has better potential.

I also think a trade is coming ..just hope it is for the better.

Reactions: _Del_

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad