GDT: Game 7: Avs @ Preds | Tuesday, October 17th, 6pm MT | Auditions

Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I could only listen to the first period on the radio last night. Everything seemed to be going so well.
Not really though. Even when it was end-to-end in the first, it had that feel of a game the Avs were going to lose. You know the type, Avs don't capitalize on a bazillion chances, opponent scores twice and puts it to bed.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
BTW I'm still not sure what to make of Barberio. Every time I see him he looks like he's about to take over the game and then makes a pass in someone's skates. Kinda frustrating but he actually looked like one of Colorado's better players, I'm just going off what I saw. I suppose it was more a result of the Avs' top defenders looking bad than Barberio looking good.

I didn't even notice Lindholm, but I guess that'll happen when you only play like 10 minutes.

twostroke27

Oct 12, 2011
I've came to a few realizations about the Avs in general and about this season that has helped me not get so worked up.

1) I think at this point Mack is a "what you see is what you get" type of player. I firmly believe that we wont see the value of mack until the avs start making the playoffs. I don't know why the regular season seem to be such a grind for him, but I think he'll always be that player that's dominate in the playoffs , but leave you wanting at other times.

2) Landy is now a third line player. His offensive part of the game is gone. I still believe we should trade him soon because I've said for several months that he's going to fall off a cliff very quickly because of his injuries. I'm not opposed to keeping him in a defensive role, but from an asset management position, I think we would be better off trading him while he has okay value.

3) Johnson is by far our best defender and can be dominate. That being said, he's a train wreck for stretches too. It is what it is.

4) As long as the bulk of the old core are on this team, they're going to struggle with positivity when things don't go their way. They'll get in their own heads, cost themselves games and deflate easily. This unfortunately is a side effect of the last few years. It's the exact reason that companies getting taken over due to performance typically remove all the previous management and staff. I don't believe that any of the core are intentionally cancer, but as long as they're there, it's just the way they'll react because they've been accustomed to acting that way for so long.

5) I see many many positive parts about the avs this year. With this team though, you're likely never going to be really sure what team is going to show up. It's gonna be a rollercoaster. My only hope is that guys like Jost, Rantanen, Compher, Zadorov etc don't pick up the mentality that the team has had forever where they check out during hard games.

Since I've realized those things, I've really been enjoying games. I really don't think the avs are as far away from the playoffs as lot of people think. Theyre a fun team to watch!

Reactions: GBoeklen32

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
- I don't agree with the statements that the Avs have been outplayed majority of the time this year. They were quite good in the game yesterday until some really poor decisions cost us the game. Yes, the third period was a lackluster affair and something you don't want to see, but if you stopped the EJ's ****ing pinch and stopped Duchene's flick when Kerfoot is right there....you have at most a 2-1 hockey game. And does it really matter if Avs get outplayed? Hell, Toronto gets outplayed every other game and normally wins the game, Avs are similar as they win the games they tend to be the weaker club.

- I don't get why some of you guys are frustrated and calling this "awful hockey" yet are the same people who never expected playoffs. Besides SE and Pierce, I don't think I've seen any of you consider this years team a team built for the postseason. Avs losing like they did last night is going to happen more often than not, so what about this is new or frustrating to you?

- I actually haven't mind the way Landeskog has played, I don't really buy the Dustin Brown 2.0 comments either. I do agree he will eventually get there, but isn't he just 24 years old? In physiology terms, that is peak and prime stage for physical and mental conditioning. I get he has gotten injuries in the past, but I don't think he's done enough offencively to make his own luck and bounces. My biggest complaint, is he constantly comes over the blueline and puts a corsi shot on net. Nothing about this is dangerous except if you're facing Toskala. We don't need him to go into Viking Mode and Thor the puck to the net every play. But he needs to open his mind and become more offensively creative with the puck when it's on his stick.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
EJ is a #2 dman being used as a #1 on a team that needs to play its #1 more than a "normal" team. That's why he's making mistakes.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
does it really matter if Avs get outplayed?

Yes, very much. In fact, that's pretty much the only thing that matters this year. Win or lose isn't important at this point but showing that you are progressing and belong to this league by giving any other team a run for their money is what is all about. Winning will come naturally when you start playing well.

Hell, Toronto gets outplayed every other game and normally wins the game, Avs are similar as they win the games they tend to be the weaker club.

What a sad thing to read. Looks like you didn't learn a thing from 2013-2014. :(

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
So I see that goalies “accidentally” dislodging the net is the new diving.

Avs sucked. Officiating is the worst I’ve seen in any game this season. Preds and Rinne easily removes the net 5-6 times during Avs possessions.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Varly was knocking his net off too. First it seemed intentional but when you see it happening again and again you realize it's an arena issue (aside from Hartnell obviously).

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
I dont see any reason to be unhappy with the avalanche season thus far. We've seen unknown rookies and reclamation players look really good, and weve seen a coaching staff/ front office not afraid to play the greenhorns and accept the growing pains. This is best case scenario stuff so far from a team that previously looked unwilling to be honest with where they really are as a team. There seems to be no delusions left, and they are moving forward in a n acceptable manor.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
- I don't agree with the statements that the Avs have been outplayed majority of the time this year. They were quite good in the game yesterday until some really poor decisions cost us the game. Yes, the third period was a lackluster affair and something you don't want to see, but if you stopped the EJ's ****ing pinch and stopped Duchene's flick when Kerfoot is right there....you have at most a 2-1 hockey game. And does it really matter if Avs get outplayed? Hell, Toronto gets outplayed every other game and normally wins the game, Avs are similar as they win the games they tend to be the weaker club.

- I don't get why some of you guys are frustrated and calling this "awful hockey" yet are the same people who never expected playoffs. Besides SE and Pierce, I don't think I've seen any of you consider this years team a team built for the postseason. Avs losing like they did last night is going to happen more often than not, so what about this is new or frustrating to you?

- I actually haven't mind the way Landeskog has played, I don't really buy the Dustin Brown 2.0 comments either. I do agree he will eventually get there, but isn't he just 24 years old? In physiology terms, that is peak and prime stage for physical and mental conditioning. I get he has gotten injuries in the past, but I don't think he's done enough offencively to make his own luck and bounces. My biggest complaint, is he constantly comes over the blueline and puts a corsi shot on net. Nothing about this is dangerous except if you're facing Toskala. We don't need him to go into Viking Mode and Thor the puck to the net every play. But he needs to open his mind and become more offensively creative with the puck when it's on his stick.

Spot on agree with all these statements. It's night and day compared to last season.

I don't know if Landeskog is still dealing with an undisclosed injury, but i'd say he's pretty much a black hole offensively. I remember there was a shift where he got the puck 2-3 times in front of the net last game, and he kind of just flicked/pushed it onto the net. Didn't try a power move to a better angle or tried to find an open player. His passes were stronger than the shoots he took in that sequence :laugh:

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
BTW I'm still not sure what to make of Barberio. Every time I see him he looks like he's about to take over the game and then makes a pass in someone's skates. Kinda frustrating but he actually looked like one of Colorado's better players, I'm just going off what I saw. I suppose it was more a result of the Avs' top defenders looking bad than Barberio looking good.

I didn't even notice Lindholm, but I guess that'll happen when you only play like 10 minutes.
Barberio is what he's always been. A 6/7/8 defensemen who should not play more than 12-14 minutes on a regular basis. Him looking good last season was because he got to play on a defensive corps that featured Beauchemin, Tyutin, Goloubef, Wiercioch, etc.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I dont see any reason to be unhappy with the avalanche season thus far. We've seen unknown rookies and reclamation players look really good, and weve seen a coaching staff/ front office not afraid to play the greenhorns and accept the growing pains. This is best case scenario stuff so far from a team that previously looked unwilling to be honest with where they really are as a team. There seems to be no delusions left, and they are moving forward in a n acceptable manor.

I agree.

The Avs are very young and very inexperienced. The season is going to come with a lots of ups and downs. We'll look absolutely amazing in some games(Like against Boston and Anaheim) and we'll look bad in other games(New Jersey and Dallas games the only ones where we looked really bad IMO).

As long as the team looks better and competes harder than last year that's all that should be asked this year. And so far I dont think we've played a single game yet anywhere close to as bad as what half our games last year looked like.

Our single worst game of the season was probably the New Jersey game, and we still fired 40+ shots on net in that game. Last year we didn't even hit 25 shots in at least 20 games.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
For me, the biggest key is getting rid of the stupid, lazy hockey that has plagued this team for so long. The 3rd period in Nashville was an example of hockey I never want to watch. Individuals were trying to do things on their own, passes couldn't be made tape-to-tape, lazy turnovers in our own zone and in the neutral zone. That is the most important thing for me this season.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Yes, it would be nice to see Landeskog producing more, I agree, but at the same time he is slowly developing to become a really, really good defensive forward.

Now all I want is the Avs to win again, please.

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
Yes, it would be nice to see Landeskog producing more, I agree, but at the same time he is slowly developing to become a really, really good defensive forward.

Now all I want is the Avs to win again, please.

Tonight they have a pretty good chance for a W. Back2Back + travel for the Blues and they will probably play their backup. Sort of a "must win" actually. If they manage to lose this one with all the odds in their favour it could be time to get angry again ;)

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Tonight they have a pretty good chance for a W. Back2Back + travel for the Blues and they will probably play their backup. Sort of a "must win" actually. If they manage to lose this one with all the odds in their favour it could be time to get angry again ;)

Steen is back for Blues, one of the most underrated players in the league (almost better than his father) but hopefully the Avs will win!

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
I'm getting pretty tired of hearing about how Landeskog has 'undisclosed injuries' or something slowing him down. He's just not a great offensive player. He tends to fumble the puck, his shot is very average, and he tends to go invisible. I think he's a second line forward (which is fine), but he's not going to be an offensive leader for your team. He also has some of the worst chemistry with Duchene I've ever seen, they are on different planets out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad