GDT: Game 69 | Columbus vs. Detroit | 3/9 7PM

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Well at least this late season surge won't cost us McDavid ...:laugh:. Jackets keep playing like this they could finish with 17 straight and win the division! Best outcome finish 2nd/3rd with Washington as the opponent. Just when I think I'm through, they pull me back in.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
We’re beating a rival who owned us for years, the stars are rolling, and the goals have been pretty spectacular. Best of all, no work tomorrow.

It’s not necessarily the crowd’s fault, but those in charge of the game day experience are not earning their paychecks to get the crowd into the game. It’s been this way for awhile now. It’s like a two and a half hour long Frank Thomas LowT commercial.

As someone who has attended games in an outside of Nationwide this year, the fan involvement night and day to other arenas.

I get it..

Went to the VGK game out in Las Vegas and couldn’t believe how well done their games are — and not anything we couldn’t replicate.

I actually mentioned to this to a few ticket reps when talking about the trip. They laughed and shrugged me off.

Instead we play the same boring music and have the same non-entertaining/relevant host each game.

JacketFanInFL

Brick by Brick
Mar 27, 2006
Central FL
I get it..

Went to the VGK game out in Las Vegas and couldn’t believe how well done their games are — and not anything we couldn’t replicate.

I actually mentioned to this to a few ticket reps when talking about the trip. They laughed and shrugged me off.

Instead we play the same boring music and have the same non-entertaining/relevant host each game.

That’s disappointing that they shrugged you off. I would encourage them to attend other games and other sports around the US as observers. They’re in the business of entertainment. I applaud you for letting them know.

Went to a Magic game the other night and even though the team is God awful and basketball isn’t the most entertaining (to me, at least), the place was rocking and I had a fun time. Went to the Philly OT loss at Nationwide on a Friday night a couple weeks back and the place was a funeral home. Pizza handouts and T-Shirts with advertisements all over them does not equal entertainment.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I get it..

It amazes me how little companies in the same business (in sports) pay attention to what teams do. In the minors, the Fort Wayne Komets used to have the highest non AHL minor league hockey attendance for years and years. I once asked the business manager if any of the other teams had ever requested to come to Fort Wayne for a few weeks and learn their operation. She said, "never".

Similarly the Cincinnati Cyclones of the ECHL are worthy of being a Harvard Business School case study for small business. The have gone from averaging less than 2,000 per game to averaging the second most in the ECHL in attendance (real attendance-not some phony announced number) in a 12 year period. They know their business. Yet businesses in the same league have never approached them either.

The CBJ ticket rep attitude toward your suggestions is probably more common than you might think.

Reactions: JacketFanInFL

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
This is not the sum of the parts. Just because you like the food and can get in and out of the arena conveniently doesn't mean you're going to be loud and enthusiastic while you're watching the game play. Of those categories they used in the article you linked, only "auxiliary experience" seems to try to get at what makes a game fun to attend, and even that's not necessarily indicative. I would think that a team's "game day experience" could wind up with a poor assessment in that review but still actually be a great time, rather than a quiet funeral home atmosphere.

Reactions: JacketFanInFL

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio
This is not the sum of the parts. Just because you like the food and can get in and out of the arena conveniently doesn't mean you're going to be loud and enthusiastic while you're watching the game play. Of those categories they used in the article you linked, only "auxiliary experience" seems to try to get at what makes a game fun to attend, and even that's not necessarily indicative. I would think that a team's "game day experience" could wind up with a poor assessment in that review but still actually be a great time, rather than a quiet funeral home atmosphere.

Well...your interpretation of the poll results is obviously very different than Derek Dawley and Mike Todd's interpretation. They seem to think this poll reaffirmed they were doing a great job. Maybe things like the "Chili Chant" will go away when fans actually stop doing the "Chili Chant".

Game ops recognized as one of NHL's best

ReggieRed

Good job. Good work. Good goal next!
Jan 6, 2015
Milford Center, OH
Well...your interpretation of the poll results is obviously very different than Derek Dawley and Mike Todd's interpretation. They seem to think this poll reaffirmed they were doing a great job. Maybe things like the "Chili Chant" will go away when fans actually stop doing the "Chili Chant".

That's so true. I don't like the Chili Chant, it sounds like a lot of people here don't like the Chili Chant, and yet when we score three goals it sounds like a large majority of the crowd yells "CHILI". Someone must like it...

Reactions: BobVEZINAsky 110

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
That's so true. I don't like the Chili Chant, it sounds like a lot of people here don't like the Chili Chant, and yet when we score three goals it sounds like a large majority of the crowd yells "CHILI". Someone must like it...
I do.

It reminds me of when I used to go to the games and know we were gonna lose. Your only real shot at a good night was a Nash goal, a Shelley fight, and a chilli chant. I will say I only like the chant when we are winning though.

It's about the tradition man, and we ain't got much.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I don't really care for the chili chant, but nothing will make me forget how deflated the building got in G4 against Pittsburgh in 2014 when Dubinsky scored to tie the game more than the chili chant. Nobody really participated in it, and it was kind of a mood killer

larueskee

Player/Member USA Hockey or affilates 1972-2006
Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
I think I told the board you would really like Cole. Right now I will tell you with Cole his desire is to play for a team that will give him minutes over salary. 15 - 16 minutes isn't going to cut it frankly. Col's stats are deserving of at least 2nd pairing status and a number of teams competing for his services may offer that and a leadership position. Offer him something like that in the 4 million per range ( 4 years )and that is what you will need to land him. Again some teams don't have a Seth Jones and a Werenski and are in need of a d man that is a career plus guy of near 70 over 393 games.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn

Game ops recognized as one of NHL's best

Well yeah, that's kind of what I'm saying. People may interpret those poll results as meaning going to a Jackets game is great time. I'm saying, that's just a good poll result. You can structure poll questions to result in a positive response, but that doesn't mean some "truth" has been verified. The sound system may be top-notch, but the music chosen to play through it still may be cheesy.

I agree with your last sentence to a point. But the Chili Chant could also go away by just going away.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad