GDT: Game 69: Avs @ Blues |Thursday, March 15th, 6 MT (ALTII)| Avs Inferno

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
Yeah buddy! We're killing it guys! The only time I've ever met MacK was at a club after that Detroit outdoor game. We had bottle service and MacK, Barrie, and Mitchell joined our table out of nowhere. It was awesome and MacKinnon is probably the most down-to-earth athlete I've ever met. We had shots together and after I told him that the goal he scored that game was sick, he just told me that's what I do, laughed, took a shot, and said Go Avs! Even though we lost that game, I knew he was our guy!!!

That's awesome! :laugh:

I love this team.:heart::heart:

Me too man, me too

returnofthemack29

Feb 20, 2015
That's awesome! :laugh:

Me too man, me too
I remember Barrie and MacK were both really cool and nice, but Mitchell was sitting on top of the seat itself, where people's heads usually are, not saying a word to anybody acting like he's too cool for school or some shit! I never liked Mitchell after that...for some reason.

Last edited:
Reactions: Murzu

returnofthemack29

Feb 20, 2015
Sorry guys, but I've been really excited about the Avs this year. It seems like we're getting getting better each and every year. I've been following this forum for years and feel like SeaEagles and I are bound to be the journalistic fluffers for this forum that gets us to next level! You're welcome you bums!!

Reactions: Murzu

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
These last two outings are the kind of games people forget real quick from Varlamov for some reason. People say he isn't good in clutch games. Well, he just stood on his head and borderline stole four points from two teams they're battling for playoff spots with. Team comes out totally flat and is dominated for most of the first half of both games, yet he ends up giving up only two goals on 79 shots.

In that stretch of 15 games that he's played in a row, he's 7-2-4 (since he doesn't get saddled with the losses in relief).

If the Avs make the playoffs, remember that stretch, and especially these last two games where they easily could have left with 0 points if not for him.

Props to big Z in this one too. Gutted it out when he looked to be in real pain a few times. Barely missed any time. Real character performance from him to play through that in a huge game, when they're missing their #1 in EJ. Hopefully he can keep playing, they can't afford to lose another big defenseman.

Hesher

Sagan for President
Jan 22, 2013
Slovakia
Looks like they are figuring out how to play on the road at the right time. Mikko's first goal was amazing, that guy is going to get paid this summer.

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
My heart said yes to a win but my head said no. That's a good win. Back to back wins against Minnesota and St Louis is huge.

Kings keep rolling though so I think the AVS need to keep moving along against Anaheim, Calgary and St Louis

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Strange game. Looks like the Blues really suck now because we had a terrible game but still controlled it for most of the time. Top line was brilliant, Varly was Varly. Good games for Nemeth and Warsofsky.

Also, please stay healthy, Z.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I didn't see the game, looks like the Blues poured on the shots and Varly was in the zone, the top line was dominant. How did it look to people who watched? Based on what I read in the Blues forum, St. Louis was the better team most of the night, Jake Allen sucked, and Varly saved the day. Based on Ye Olde Eye Test did St. Louis look to be in control at any part of the game?

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
I didn't see the game, looks like the Blues poured on the shots and Varly was in the zone, the top line was dominant. How did it look to people who watched? Based on what I read in the Blues forum, St. Louis was the better team most of the night, Jake Allen sucked, and Varly saved the day. Based on Ye Olde Eye Test did St. Louis look to be in control at any part of the game?
For somebody who doesn't know the Avs this was a shocking game and the better team lost. For somebody who knows the Avs it was five minutes of being worried and 55 minutes of "don't ruin it, guys, you are so much better than them".

Edit: Lines 3 and 4 sucked tonight, though.

2nd edit: To explain what I meant in the first two sentences of this post: 5 minutes of worried worrying, 55 minutes of relaxed nervousness. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Pokecheque

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
A lot of the shots were low percentage shots, and as well as Varly played he was also really lucky. He was dropping the puck, and caughing up rebounds all night. The defense did well clearing the crease, and Varly was moving and tracking well.

Both teams were shit defensively in the first and dangerous on offense. Even second, and we turtled as they pushed hard in the third after, but credit needs to be given to the five man unit playing well defensively.

Reactions: cgf

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I know people hate when this team turtles, but it's natural that the home team, down 3-1 with 20 minutes left and fighting for their playoff lives, is going to come out like gang busters.

I thought the Avs were too passive, but what St. Louis did isn't uncommon. Just throw everything at the net and pray you get a bounce.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
A lot of the shots were low percentage shots, and as well as Varly played he was also really lucky. He was dropping the puck, and caughing up rebounds all night. The defense did well clearing the crease, and Varly was moving and tracking well.

Both teams were **** defensively in the first and dangerous on offense. Even second, and we turtled as they pushed hard in the third after, but credit needs to be given to the five man unit playing well defensively.

I got to disagree on that Cobra. There were a lot of high percentage chances in the first two periods. He may have been lucky a couple times, but he still made some great saves, and only allowed one goal on 45 shots. While being exhausted from playing 15 games in a row.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
The Avs definitely need to get better at the turtle, St. Louis controlled the play for at least half the game, but it was also because the Avs were trying to play safe and we just don't have the personnel to do that right now.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I got to disagree on that Cobra. There were a lot of high percentage chances in the first two periods. He may have been lucky a couple times, but he still made some great saves, and only allowed one goal on 45 shots. While being exhausted from playing 15 games in a row.

I didn't mean to take away from him, but his rebound control was rough. The third made the game look lop sided on the shot clock. Just to highlight that it wasn't just a game they got lucky in with Varly bailing them out. Somewhere in the middle at least.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I didn't mean to take away from him, but his rebound control was rough. The third made the game look lop sided on the shot clock. Just to highlight that it wasn't just a game they got lucky in with Varly bailing them out. Somewhere in the middle at least.

Oh I know, and I agree to an extent on that. He didn't have quite the rebound control he usually has when he's on his game. It wasn't all Varly like you say. He got some help clearing rebounds, and from Nate being a scoring machine right now, but I do think Varly bailed them out in the first half of the game. They got totally outplayed and looked like they were well on their way to losing.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Oh I know, and I agree to an extent on that. He didn't have quite the rebound control he usually has when he's on his game. It wasn't all Varly like you say. He got some help clearing rebounds, and from Nate being a scoring machine right now, but I do think Varly bailed them out in the first half of the game. They got totally outplayed and looked like they were well on their way to losing.

Varly came up huge, but what I think Cobra's getting at is that this wasn't one of those Varlagod-wins where he just absolutely steals every aspect of the game by just swallowing anything that even comes close to him. Varly had some massive saves, but also got lucky that Tank didn't bury that backhander, while his blueliners did a great job clearing the rebounds before STL could pounce.

Reactions: Waingro

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Varly came up huge, but what I think Cobra's getting at is that this wasn't one of those Varlagod-wins where he just absolutely steals every aspect of the game by just swallowing anything that even comes close to him. Varly had some massive saves, but also got lucky that Tank didn't bury that backhander, while his blueliners did a great job clearing the rebounds before STL could pounce.

Very true. I agree with that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad