Post-Game Talk: Game 68: Marchand wins it on OT - BRUINS 1 Lightning 0 F/OT

nickyb

May 5, 2004
Just before OT, Bishop went down their bench and was saying something to
all the players. The announcer, sounded like Brian Engblom, was saying Bishop
was telling all the players not to worry, he's got this. Then drop of the puck and
bam.

Yup, I was watching the Tampa feed too......they were so pumped when Bishop did that.....then 10 seconds later......pure shock lol

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
The worst thing about that scenario it is Tampa thinks they can do anything they want, while Boston is back on their heels, and not wanting to commit anymore penalties, it can really change how a team plays their game. It handcuffs them, they feel that whatever they do they will get penalized, while Tampa feels that they can do no wrong, I hate that, it sucks!
But like a boxer who has his back against the ropes, he can only hope to get that one shot or two, in to knock the opponent out, that is what the Bruins had to do and they did it!

Yep. There were a couple of times where Chara backed off from the more aggressive play and gave Tampa more space-basically the team getting penalized starts to play a little too careful but the other team thinks they can do anything-this is especially true with the minor interference and stick work (there is also a similar star player double standard where players like Crosby get to slash and hook but a player like Marchand or a bottom 3 grinder gets called).

There were two mom calls that bothered me-the hooknon Pasta (pretty blatant) an interference let go (think it might have been against Hayes) and maybe a third-there was a hit on McQuaid that looked like a charge but they never replayed it so it may have been legal but from my eyes in real time it looked illegal).

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact: finally here!!!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Total Balls washing session last night on TVA Sports for the Bruins , It almost felt uncomfortable. ..Almost. :laugh:

Your avatar is fantastic. Just wanted to say that.

Just before OT, Bishop went down their bench and was saying something to
all the players. The announcer, sounded like Brian Engblom, was saying Bishop
was telling all the players not to worry, he's got this. Then drop of the puck and
bam.

Ahahah love it

True. Pastrnak at one point was hooked so hard he looked like a top.

Amen.

I find it eerie that we talked a lot about Game 7 vs TB in yesterday's GDT, then the teams played a game similar to that one except for the penalties & OT. Both goaltenders were outstanding, a lot of great up & down the ice movement, and a 1-0 victory for the Bruins.

Eerie.

I will take that omen. :handclap:

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
I find it eerie that we talked a lot about Game 7 vs TB in yesterday's GDT, then the teams played a game similar to that one except for the penalties & OT. Both goaltenders were outstanding, a lot of great up & down the ice movement, and a 1-0 victory for the Bruins.

Eerie.

No PP's for the Bruins was the same too.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

Eerie.

It's funny I decided at the last minute to include that clip when I started the GDT - glad I did :laugh:

Last night after the game I listened to the Lightning postgame and one of the commentators said he doesn't want to meet the Bruins in the first round. :popcorn:

I had a dream last night that Marchand scores in OT in Game 7 at Chicago to win the Cup :D

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
It's funny I decided at the last minute to include that clip when I started the GDT - glad I did :laugh:

Last night after the game I listened to the Lightning postgame and one of the commentators said he doesn't want to meet the Bruins in the first round. :popcorn:

I had a dream last night that Marchand scores in OT in Game 7 at Chicago to win the Cup :D

I like your dream....and hope it comes true!

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
There were two mom calls that bothered me-the hooknon Pasta (pretty blatant) an interference let go (think it might have been against Hayes) and maybe a third-there was a hit on McQuaid that looked like a charge but they never replayed it so it may have been legal but from my eyes in real time it looked illegal).

How about Marchessault crosschecking/shoving Seids over Tuukka (don't think Seids and Rask made contact, but interfered with him nonetheless) and almost scoring just after? Or Sustr completely ignoring the puck when Chara had it in the corner to the right of Bishop in the first period, and just holding/slashing Chara instead, finally getting help getting the puck loose, where Chara could've passed an open Bruin in front of the net if Sustr had attempted to play the puck. Loui got slashed by Kucherov (I think it was) on his breakaway, he was nowhere near getting the puck with that slash. There were countless others non-calls, most more blatant than at least two of the penalties against us.

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Hockey Central just said Lile is having a having today for forearm on Kucherov.I get it.But man how does players like Subban get away with elbows like he laid in Giroux?

...and how about Ovie's back stabbing hit on Miller?

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
Hockey Central just said Lile is having a hearing today for forearm on Kucherov.I get it.But man how does players like Subban get away with elbows like he laid in Giroux?

Don't you know he just lost an edge? That's his go-to excuse, after all. ;) :sarcasm:

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
I don't know why, but for some unknown reason the NHL does not like the Bruins.

Case in point. . .

Ovechkin hit from behind resulting in injury, no game miscondcut, no hearing.

Next game, 0 Bruins power plays to 4 for the Lightening.

JML head shot player comes back in the 2nd, no injury, my guess is also the NHL standard 2 games

conspiracy . . . . ?

njbruin*

Nov 17, 2007
How about Marchessault crosschecking/shoving Seids over Tuukka (don't think Seids and Rask made contact, but interfered with him nonetheless) and almost scoring just after? Or Sustr completely ignoring the puck when Chara had it in the corner to the right of Bishop in the first period, and just holding/slashing Chara instead, finally getting help getting the puck loose, where Chara could've passed an open Bruin in front of the net if Sustr had attempted to play the puck. Loui got slashed by Kucherov (I think it was) on his breakaway, he was nowhere near getting the puck with that slash. There were countless others non-calls, most more blatant than at least two of the penalties against us.

There have been plenty of games this year where I feel the Bruins were screwed by the refs. However , I didn't think last nights officiating was that bad, in fact I really liked that the refs seemed to sense the game was edgy and let the players play.

Sure the penalties were 4-0 , but two were no brainers - High Stick and Delay of Game and tbh the slash on Acciari certainly should have been a slash on Chara , the MacQuaid penalty was the only iffy one in my opinion.

I'd much rather that style of officiating then the NBA model where breathing on a player draws a "penalty".

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
There have been plenty of games this year where I feel the Bruins were screwed by the refs. However , I didn't think last nights officiating was that bad, in fact I really liked that the refs seemed to sense the game was edgy and let the players play.

Sure the penalties were 4-0 , but two were no brainers - High Stick and Delay of Game and tbh the slash on Acciari certainly should have been a slash on Chara , the MacQuaid penalty was the only iffy one in my opinion.

I'd much rather that style of officiating then the NBA model where breathing on a player draws a "penalty".

As clear as the Chara slash was (which they initially called Acciari for tripping on), several of the aforementioned infractions by Tampa were just as clear or clearer. And much clearer than McQuaid's - hell, even as clear as the high stick. I'm fine with getting no PP's, and with the refs only calling the delay of game one. I agree it looks bad when refs miss or ignore high sticks, but why should that be different than missing a blatant slash, interference, trip or hold - especially since those are always intentional and high sticks rarely are? If you can ignore those, you can ignore high sticks, and you can't call yourself consistent if you only call slashes when Chara carries them out (and ****ing up the call royally).

So I would've been fine with Tampa getting a 1-0 edge in PP's with the delay of game call (whether I agree with the rule or not). That wasn't the case, though, and the refs' inconsistency set the tone of the game by making the Bruins hesitant and giving the Lightning d-men the sense of playing with house money, in the sense of "Wow, they didn't call any of those infractions? Let's keep playing at that level, and even if we're called once, we'll still have benefitted from the non-calls, thus making a net 'profit'; and if they keep not calling it, that's even better!"

Budddy

Dec 9, 2008
Okanagan
Liles has no history of stuff like this plus Kucherov came back...I would be shocked if he got games for this...but who the hell knows...perhaps a fine at most

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad