Post-Game Talk: Game 68: Marchand wins it on OT - BRUINS 1 Lightning 0 F/OT

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
friends i am stunned with this turn of events considering the defense.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I see a bunch of you are pissed at the lack of offensive push.

I get it. And, I also get how Gus stole the game. But, the way the tide has seemingly turned defensively (minus the breakdowns last night in Florida), with the way they've held Washington, Chicago, and Tampa in check...you can't tell me that this playoff run doesn't have a chance to be a bit deeper than we may have expected.

Healthy Wrap

May 15, 2014
Neely’s Kitchen
That website is a complete disaster - Here at HF we used to be able to embed videos easily - not anymore. :rant:

You used to be able to watch all hits/saves/goals on one highlight feed that would just automatically play one video after another. I don't understand why they messed with it. I'm finding it impossible to locate what I want

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
Had an event tonight and missed this one. Sounds like I missed a good one.

I listened to the 3rd period via radio broadcast on my phone on the way home on the streetcar, was walking up the street towards my building as it went to OT and was thinking I'd get to watch the OT at least.

Just as I reached my front door, Marchand scored.

When I saw the D pairs on Twitter prior to the game, I thought that looked like a better balance than the previous game. How did they look?

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Interesting stat o NBC Sports showed Marchand and Bergeron's 62 combined goals ties Pat Kane and Panarin, and is only two behind league-leading Seguin and Benn.

Also sensing a tad more respect from the national broadcasts for the B's, especially Marchand and Bergeron, but also including Julien and Sweeney.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
I see a bunch of you are pissed at the lack of offensive push.

I get it. And, I also get how Gus stole the game. But, the way the tide has seemingly turned defensively (minus the breakdowns last night in Florida), with the way they've held Washington, Chicago, and Tampa in check...you can't tell me that this playoff run doesn't have a chance to be a bit deeper than we may have expected.

The system is clicking again at last. Still a few too many turnovers and extended shifts in our zone and that is on personnel I believe. Since Sweeney "went for it" I wish he had targeted one more Liles type so we wouldn't need to dress a Trotman or Morrow for ten minutes.

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
I'm curious to see what happens with Liles on that hit. I'm sure the NHL is reviewing it.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
I'm curious to see what happens with Liles on that hit. I'm sure the NHL is reviewing it.

I bet it's getting a close look. Definitely was an elbow/forearm to the head. I don't think it was intentional, but head shots always get scrutiny even when no penalty is called. Was a little surprised by how much Jack and Brick downplayed it on the broadcast. If that had happened to one of our guys, this forum would be buzzing.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617

Since John-Michael Liles has joined us, we've looked significantly better. I'm still clenching my cheeks, but not the whole game as they seem to allow me a few short periods where I can unclench and enjoy. :laugh:

I'm starting to think JML is our savior.

tumblr_m0ynari2Oo1r41emlo1_500.gif

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
Holy **** Gus! What a game. Only drop 1 point against the Caps? Take it all day every day. This was the tough stretch and we did it very well. So proud of the boys! Get round em! Never thought they'd do so well in that stretch :) :yo:

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Finally NHL.com has highlights :rant:

Hayes layed a huge hit on Hedman that hurt him and then had a chance in the slot to score on a one timer. Starting at 1:45 in the video. Wish he played like that more often.

BruinsFanMike82

Apr 15, 2009
MA
Gustavsson is now 6-0-4 with a 1.96 GAA and .934 Sv% all-time vs the Lightning. When playing in Tampa he is now 4-0-2 with a 1.46 GAA and .951 Sv%. Very impressive.

With 14 games remaining, I think Gustavsson should get 4 more starts. I'd give Gustavsson the Ducks (3/18) and the Panthers (3/24) for the 2 remaining sets of back-to-backs. And then give him one of the Maple Leafs/Devils (3/26, 3/29) and finally the Senators (4/9.)

In doing so, Rask would end up starting 62 games this season, down from last season's total of 70.

unifiedtheory

Twitter: @ut_pez
Jun 18, 2007
Burnaby, B.C.
They fought through all the hooking and interference and **** that the Lightning get away with every ****ing night, and won a huge game.

Gus was great.

JM Liles is a revelation. So calm with the puck and his passes are crisp and on the damn tape. Feel so comfortable with him on the ice.

This team is flawed. That said, every team is flawed in some way.

Daishi

Apr 12, 2010

What turn of events? The defense is still atrocious. Gustavsson made 42 saves. Last game Rask made 47. We're allowing an unbelievable amount of shots.

The offense is carrying this team.

pgm16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2010
St. John's NL
This team usually puts forth a great effort, & definitely make mistakes on their own zone, but 7 other teams in the east may prefer to play someone else rather the Bruins in the 1st round if we get there.

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
What turn of events? The defense is still atrocious. Gustavsson made 42 saves. Last game Rask made 47. We're allowing an unbelievable amount of shots.

The offense is carrying this team.

........1-0 in OT?

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
........1-0 in OT?

outburst of offense:):sarcasm:

This game reminded me alot of that great playoff game from the Cup run, end to end, every shift counted, chances at both end then the good guys won:yo:

I think the shot totals for both teams would have one who didn`t see the game a bit mislead, it`s not like either team gave the other 20 true scoring chances, saw at least a dozen or more shots from each team that a house league goalie could have saved however, both goalies made some biggies too

Not a clue how this team is doing it, sure surprising this fan....pleasantly so I may add

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad