GDT: Game 63 | Kings @ Golden Knights | 7:30 | Gentleman's Sweep Edition

Was this GDT created too late?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Some of those calls on Reeves were because of reputation, he threw a couple clean hits. Having said that, after what seems like the 8th penalty in the third we should have benched him.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Some of those calls on Reeves were because of reputation, he threw a couple clean hits. Having said that, after what seems like the 8th penalty in the third we should have benched him.
Reaves has a short leash with me.

I realize what he can bring to the game by giving our good players a little extra room. However, he’s not going to get the benefit of the doubt on anything, and honestly, I didn’t think our guys were having many issues getting beaten up. However, there must have been something going on in the room that made GMGM and Gallant think we needed him. This definitely seems like a move Gallant was behind based on his statements.

I’m willing to trust everyone, but that game was a piece of shit and Reaves might as well have had a spotlight on him all game.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
If Pirri were an NHL player he probably would have been re-signed or won a spot at training camp.

Gallant shouldn't have been surprised Reaves was targeted by the refs. They've been doing this to goons for over 20 years. You hit the stars, challenge smaller players to fights, they look to eject you. Legal or not they take this stuff very seriously in the last 10 minutes of a game and that's how it's always been called in the 'new' NHL.

Nevada Jones

I like hockey.
Jun 28, 2017
Somewhere in Oregon.

I realize what he can bring to the game by giving our good players a little extra room. However, he’s not going to get the benefit of the doubt on anything, and honestly, I didn’t think our guys were having many issues getting beaten up. However, there must have been something going on in the room that made GMGM and Gallant think we needed him. This definitely seems like a move Gallant was behind based on his statements.

I’m willing to trust everyone, but that game was a piece of **** and Reaves might as well have had a spotlight on him all game.
Agree with at least some sort of leash. I'm not sure we yet know how significant Reaves' role is supposed to be, and I'm not sure we really will until this team roster-wise is back to where it was a short time ago.

Neal and Lindberg out last night and most of the first game vs the Kings. Bellemare out for awhile. Carrier missing forever. Theodore. This team certainly is more than just any one player, but when you're missing so many parts, even if their contributions are minimal, it takes a toll. Except for the first line, our lines are really a jumble last few games. Hurts continuity and chemistry.

Heck, maybe we already even miss Leipsic.

Nah!!! :laugh: (Sorry, Hangman!)

Then add in three new players...Tatar, Hyka, Reaves...with little or no practice time, and you're practically back to training camp. Not a great time for all this to be going on, but at least we've built ourselves a bit of a point cushion in case it takes awhile to get this all sorted out.

But, yeah, I was not a fan of some of Reaves' antics late in the game. And although he didn't get the puck into the net (who did but Wild Bill) I did see he put himself in place for a couple decent scoring chances.

Time will tell.

Reactions: ChanceVegas

ChanceVegas

Barney on a bender
Jan 3, 2018
Las Vegas, NV

I’m willing to trust everyone, but that game was a piece of **** and Reaves might as well have had a spotlight on him all game.

Agree about Gallant's statements regarding Reeves. Gallant was a bit of an enforcer back in his day too, from what I've read.

Last night really gave me the impression that Reaves' sole purpose is to rough people up. The way he was checking guys, just pinballing from board to board and chirping the whole time, while he didn't make a ton of offensive plays moving the puck, really gave me pause. I would hope Gallant reels him in a bit, but I really don't know whether he want to or not?

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Agree about Gallant's statements regarding Reeves. Gallant was a bit of an enforcer back in his day too, from what I've read.

Last night really gave me the impression that Reaves' sole purpose is to rough people up. The way he was checking guys, just pinballing from board to board and chirping the whole time, while he didn't make a ton of offensive plays moving the puck, really gave me pause. I would hope Gallant reels him in a bit, but I really don't know whether he want to or not?
If you have Netflix, check out Ice Guardians. I watched it again and I think it's helped me through this transition. I don't dislike Reaves, I just know he's filling a role and doing what he thinks he has to do to keep himself in the league. I'm not mad at him at all, I think he'd rather just be a big ass forward that can play hockey well versus being the goon/enforcer than can play hockey well. However, if we don't see benefits in the next few games while the 4th line is f***ed up due to PEB's absence, I hope the experiment is over and he just hangs out in the press box as a threat in a long series.

I'm a little concerned that GMGM and HCGG think we needed to go 0-100 on the enforcer scale. However, if you're going to experiment like this, I suppose doing it while you've got a huge league on the division is the perfect time to do it.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Forget all the analysis and debate.

Here's the real reason we lost:

:laugh:

Seriously, that's pretty awful. How can something like that go missed? :shakehead

I usually show up to games fairly late. I'm guessing they caught the mistake and trashed the posters because by the time I got there with 15 minutes on the pregame clock, there was no posters or people at the table. It kind of sucked, because I always like to pick up the poster and fold it in quarters so I can ID the opposition players by number.

Amateur hour has reappeared.

I wonder if they'll be worth more for the people that take them to sell them, like an error card. :laugh:

Reactions: Nevada Jones

Nevada Jones

I like hockey.
Jun 28, 2017
Somewhere in Oregon.
By the way, I thought Max did better than I expected, considering how long he's been riding the pine.
Agree. Got left hanging on those two turnovers that led directly to goals. Not to blame there.

Campbell very solid with 41 saves. Not, unfortunately, what I had expected or hoped for. But not sure how many quality saves he had. And as Gallant mentioned postgame, not much happening for us in the paint yet again.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
My biggest problem with Reaves over the last couple of games is hasn’t been interested at all in playing hockey... he’s been skating around trying to hit anything that moves. Diving to try knock the puck in was the only hockey play I remember from him.

Playing him has had the opposite of the desired effect. They aren’t scared of Reaves they know he’s going to get the calls against him. It’s no surprise to me that the last two games have been the most physical of the year, not only does it give them more reason to hit us... but the team has got the stupid idea in their heads that they need to play LA hockey. Vegas hockey is what has worked and it has worked extremely well if we had have played our game the last two games this series would be 4-0

But don’t worry fam I have taken it upon myself to remove Reaves from temptation and have had him fired into the sun

Reactions: Pirate Deadpool

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
My biggest problem with Reaves over the last couple of games is hasn’t been interested at all in playing hockey... he’s been skating around trying to hit anything that moves. Diving to try knock the puck in was the only hockey play I remember from him.

Playing him has had the opposite of the desired effect. They aren’t scared of Reaves they know he’s going to get the calls against him. It’s no surprise to me that the last two games have been the most physical of the year, not only does it give them more reason to hit us... but the team has got the stupid idea in their heads that they need to play LA hockey. Vegas hockey is what has worked and it has worked extremely well if we had have played our game the last two games this series would be 4-0

But don’t worry fam I have taken it upon myself to remove Reaves from temptation and have had him fired into the sun
Gallant likes his 4th liners and his heavy guys, we just haven't had one like Reaves.

I'm sure it will moderate itself as time goes on and guys get healthy.

The thing everyone was saying about Gallant after the hire, after they made the taxi cab references, was that he likes to roll those guys out there. I'm hoping Reaves is just trying to make an impression on the new team. Hopefully Gallant can control it.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA

I think it will be fine.

First game followed by the first home game, so he's hyped to make an impact, I'm sure. Plus, the arena was pretty quiet last night, so guys might have talked on that during the game giving him more reason to think he needed to do that stuff.

His hockey wasn't bad, he just needs to operate at a 7 on the physicality intensity scale instead of pegging at 10 the last couple nights.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Allo Leafs fan coming in peace. As an expansion club do you guys still get top odds in the next 2 drafts?

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Allo Leafs fan coming in peace. As an expansion club do you guys still get top odds in the next 2 drafts?
Nope.

That was one of those predictions from someone up north when it was all going on, and it's never gone away. The Knights (now Detroit) get whatever pick the record earns.

Reactions: remote

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
What a ****ty attitude. Vegas is a team first team... I don’t even want him anywhere the locker room with that me first attitude
Agreed - not the right response after costing the game.
He doesn’t have to apologize, but he’ll be seeing the pressbox soon enough if the penalties continue! Let’s see how he does against a team that isn’t LA or Anaheim, first, though. He can be an effective fourth line energy guy.

Reactions: ChanceVegas

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Agreed - not the right response after costing the game.
He doesn’t have to apologize, but he’ll be seeing the pressbox soon enough if the penalties continue! Let’s see how he does against a team that isn’t LA or Anaheim, first, though. He can be an effective fourth line energy guy.
I’m concerned that he won’t be seeing the press box Turk is saying all the wrong things about Reaves. And the SinBin guys are concerned Turk won’t want to scratch him

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Where are all of the Reaves and GMGM defenders of this deal now? I'll gladly eat crow if Reaves can turn it around and be a good player for the team, but I doubt he will. I suspect that those that doubted me will start to hate Reaves and GMGM as much as I do. Chasing after EK65 all day was a waste of time. There were other deals that he should have made unless those teams or players that could have helped this team refused to deal with Vegas.

ChanceVegas

Barney on a bender
Jan 3, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
Jesse Granger is the guy that called GMGM a genius for the Reaves deal. He's a hack when it comes to hockey like most of the other vegas sports media when it comes to hockey. Only a couple of media outlet guys seem like they know hockey well.

I was more concerned about the quote than who reported it.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I’m concerned that he won’t be seeing the press box Turk is saying all the wrong things about Reaves. And the SinBin guys are concerned Turk won’t want to scratch him
It's been two games and there's guys on the mend. If he wanted to scratch him now, he couldn't.

Just breathe, everything will be okay. I'm sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad