GDT: Game #62: Blackhawks @ Coyotes | 7:00pm (AZ) | Scripps

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I remember reading some really great articles and listening to some really great interviews with Dean Lombardi and Mike Futa. Two of my favorite hockey execs. Especially Lombardi, who I really like a lot and find to be super interesting and insightful. He’s the guy who came up with my favorite quote on draft prospects “I’d rather tame a tiger than have to paint stripes on a p***y cat”.

Anyway, I remember Lombardi and Futa talking about how they turned the corner with the Kings and became that dominant team. And it was all about finding “culture changers”. Those hard as nails players that took no prisoners and made no excuses.

That team was a nightmare to play against. Not just because of the skill. But because of the dirty rotten, low down meanness of them. And the tireless work ethic and absolute buy-in to the system.

The Coyotes do a lot of floating around. Those early teens Kings teams never did. They were vicious. And they embraced that as an organization.

Lombardi challenged Futa to find these culture changers in the draft. He challenged his pro scouts to find them around the pro leagues. And boy did they find them.

I feel like that’s the Bill Armstrong way. And those are the types of players he wants. But I want to see more of them. And I don’t want to wait.

This team is both soft and bad. I’m okay with one or the other. But both is too much to stomach.

Get rid of Schmaltz right now. That would be a huge step in the right direction. Schmaltz is the personification of what’s wrong with this squad.

Why don’t we have a Rempe? Go get some killers.

LittlePipes

Vortech V7
Feb 22, 2020
That has to be the worst loss of the season. I hope Coach T calls it what it was - a steaming pile of horse shit.
I have tickets to 2 more games… they are going up for sale tonight.
Its very hard to be a Coyotes fan.
Sheesh.

LittlePipes

Vortech V7
Feb 22, 2020
I remember reading some really great articles and listening to some really great interviews with Dean Lombardi and Mike Futa. Two of my favorite hockey execs. Especially Lombardi, who I really like a lot and find to be super interesting and insightful. He’s the guy who came up with my favorite quote on draft prospects “I’d rather tame a tiger than have to paint stripes on a p***y cat”.

Anyway, I remember Lombardi and Futa talking about how they turned the corner with the Kings and became that dominant team. And it was all about finding “culture changers”. Those hard as nails players that took no prisoners and made no excuses.

That team was a nightmare to play against. Not just because of the skill. But because of the dirty rotten, low down meanness of them. And the tireless work ethic and absolute buy-in to the system.

The Coyotes do a lot of floating around. Those early teens Kings teams never did. They were vicious. And they embraced that as an organization.

Lombardi challenged Futa to find these culture changers in the draft. He challenged his pro scouts to find them around the pro leagues. And boy did they find them.

I feel like that’s the Bill Armstrong way. And those are the types of players he wants. But I want to see more of them. And I don’t want to wait.

This team is both soft and bad. I’m okay with one or the other. But both is too much to stomach.

Get rid of Schmaltz right now. That would be a huge step in the right direction. Schmaltz is the personification of what’s wrong with this squad.

Why don’t we have a Rempe? Go get some killers.
I put Keller in that group as well

Reactions: Matias Maccete

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
DapperScaredEmeraldtreeskink-size_restricted.gif

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I put Keller in that group as well
Yeah. Remember how much fun the “high cycle” was with him and Schmaltz earlier in the season? I look back now and I just see a really creative way to avoid going inside. This perimeter crap is killing me. I don’t need much to be happy. I just need this team to have inside players.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
Yeah. Remember how much fun the “high cycle” was with him and Schmaltz earlier in the season? I look back now and I just see a really creative way to avoid going inside. This perimeter crap is killing me. I don’t need much to be happy. I just need this team to have inside players.
You’re gonna probably have to wait for Geekie and our boy Daniil haha.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I said early in the year that Keller and Schmaltz were BAD 5 on 5, but because they were getting points on the PP most were happy. We have inside players, but they lack talent.

Last edited:

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
That was so bad. Maybe the worst game in a couple years.
That 1 game was more embarrassing than the 14 game L streak.

Every possible advantage laid at the Coyotes feet for a win. League's worst team on a back to back, haven't won on the road since Gangnam style was popular, league's worst pp. Coyotes proceed to give the Hawks 5 PPs and kill only 1. O zone penalty because a fwd doesn't know where the goalie is, too many men, puck over the glass. These are not goal saving, smart, penalties. Most cerebrally deficient Coyotes team ever.

1709741553260.png

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
That was so bad. Maybe the worst game in a couple years.

Have to agree. That's the type of stink we haven't seen much of since AT took over. Hopefully we don't see much more of it.

This last third of the season has been bad, but I think it's a correction of how much we over performed at the start of the season. We got a ways to go, and I dont think there's moves we can realistically make to make us a playoff team next season without unplugging the rebuild and knocking half the walls down on the way out.

We got work to do. Like @rt said, we need a deeper culture change. We got a couple piles of players and one is probably a bit lopsided.

High Skilled but lack jam (obviously all these players flash jam at times but not consistently)
Keller
Schmaltz
Maccelli
Cooley
Guenther
Durzi
Carcone
Kesselring

We can probably afford to lose a couple players in this pile because none of these players are great defensively. Keller is fine at times. Cooley is getting there. But the main focus for this pile is to help the transition and offense.

One problem to me is with the guys who are supposed to be imposing.
McBain
Crouse
LOB
Dumba

I felt like this pile of players were great at the start of the season. That COL game where Dumba and Crouse willed the win. Those games where McBain hits everything. Bjudstadt has really been fantastic for us all season and may be our most consistent player. It seems like Hayton is our best agitator right now and that's not what we need. This group of players seem to have lost a little bit of spark. Maybe it's because we rely on them to be those roleplayers too much?

Then there's the high motor types, which I think is our biggest issue
Kerfoot
Zucker
Carcone
Stetcher
Valimaki
Moser (mostly I don't know how else to classify him)

This is the area we absolutely need the most work in. None of these guys really produce. Carcone had a flash but that's gone. We really need guys who play like Coleman, Kadri, Backlund, Palat, Pavelski, Verhaeghe, you get the point. Guys you can throw out there and they can make a play, whether that's scoring or getting the puck from the dirty areas or just make a good hit.

I feel like BA tried to address the high motor guys this summer and it didn't go as planned. That happens. We wont always hit it out of the park like we did with Gostisbehere, Bjudstadt, hell even Ladd is an improvement over Zucker. I hope he re-rolls the dice to get 2-3 guys like the the ones listed above, but through trade. It feels like time after time we get burned in UFA since those players are ready to play golf until they get moved to a playoff team.

Reactions: Kai Yo T and rt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad