GDT: Game 61 Stars 7:30pm

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
You would've thought that Duclair, Hoffman, Granlund. Burroughs, and every other theoretical-NHLer addition this offseason would be good enough to make this team better than worst place, but here we are
I miss EK65. At least he was fun to watch every shift

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
You would've thought that Duclair, Hoffman, Granlund. Burroughs, and every other theoretical-NHLer addition this offseason would be good enough to make this team better than worst place, but here we are
You need guys who can win a board battle because they can read a play AND with grit. All the wingers on this team are either/or.

Reactions: DG93

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Let’s be honest, most of us including myself weren’t exactly inspired by the acquisitions of all but Duclair. Granlund has been a revelation but Hoffman and Burroughs have been worse than I expected.

I do wonder if Grier would have approached the offseason differently had he known he wouldn’t have Logan for the whole season and Hertl for half.

Reactions: PlayTheMan and DG93

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Let's be honest, all four of those last goals were 100% easily stoppable. Kappo was a complete meltdown.
Reversion to the mean.

I would argue only two of those are legitimate NHL players, and both of them are older and/or have injury issues.

Spotty 2 Hotty

Special teams, special plays, special players
Feb 28, 2008
ATX
it's kinda sad in the Stars GDT they are celebrating a "great comeback" instead of shitting bricks that Ottinger just gave up 6 goals on 20 shots to the Sharks

Stars fan here (who passed out on my couch before the comeback :(). Oettinger has not been very good this season, so I'm just happy to get 2 pts when we can.

I know y'all are embracing the tank, so at least last night was entertaining af for y'all with the loss, haha. Hopefully Eklund doesn't have a serious injury. Cheers!

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Stars fan here (who passed out on my couch before the comeback :(). Oettinger has not been very good this season, so I'm just happy to get 2 pts when we can.

I know y'all are embracing the tank, so at least last night was entertaining af for y'all with the loss, haha. Hopefully Eklund doesn't have a serious injury. Cheers!
Is there any chance Oettinger will become available in summer 2025 when he is RFA?

Quinn coached him for two seasons at BU so I assume the Sharks would be interested.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I don't really know how you could construct this team in a way that would be significally better in any way

I don’t remember who was really available in the summer but I think getting a serviceable too 4 D, even if he was older, would’ve been very helpful. I think a couple of guys in the vein of Nieto and Bonino would’ve helped a little. Sheng and Keegan on the SJNow podcast break it down really well.

Admittedly, I don’t think Grier could’ve predicted that Granlund and Eklund would be his 1C/2C. Obviously the injuries made this team as historically awful as we are but I’d just change the approach a little for next season.

Spotty 2 Hotty

Feb 28, 2008
ATX
Is there any chance Oettinger will become available in summer 2025 when he is RFA?

Quinn coached him for two seasons at BU so I assume the Sharks would be interested.

Not unless he somehow gets worse than he's been this year and still expects some kind of big raise. We don't really have any goaltending depth in the org at the moment, which is to be expected for a franchise that has a starting goaltender in his early/mid 20s.

Reactions: Hodge

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Not unless he somehow gets worse than he's been this year and still expects some kind of big raise. We don't really have any goaltending depth in the org at the moment, which is to be expected for a franchise that has a starting goaltender in his early/mid 20s.
Otter is also very much like Kappo this season. Boom or bust, but I will say, I watch a lot of Dallas games and the one thing I consistently see is how often the D leaves guys wide open in front of the net for easy tap-ins.

Reactions: Spotty 2 Hotty

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Otter is also very much like Kappo this season. Boom or bust, but I will say, I watch a lot of Dallas games and the one thing I consistently see is how often the D leaves guys wide open in front of the net for easy tap-ins.
Oettinger and Kahkonen don't belong in the same sentence. Oettinger was an elite starting goalie until this season. Kahkonen was a low end backup until this season. Not to mention Kahkonen is like 2 and half years older too.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Oettinger and Kahkonen don't belong in the same sentence. Oettinger was an elite starting goalie until this season. Kahkonen was a low end backup until this season. Not to mention Kahkonen is like 2 and half years older too.
I didn’t say they were the same. I said they’re both boom or bust. Otter will have a game where he stops 48 out of 49 and then get benched in back to back games following it. He’s got a save percentage under 900 in almost half his games.

Last edited:
Reactions: Spotty 2 Hotty

Spotty 2 Hotty

Feb 28, 2008
ATX

Oettinger was only elite in the Calgary series, since then, he's had some elite games, but never the kind of consistency to put him in the conversation as elite if he wasn't so young.

Also, his numbers have always been relatively similar to our backup goalie's numbers over the years, so I'm not the most confident in his ability to steal games or shut down teams when it counts; it's usually our offense stepping up in that respect to win games.

hockeyCEO

Nov 26, 2016
Not one word on Vlasic's play on Dallas fifth goal? We're getting soft.

This game made me smile.

landshark

They'll paint the donkey teal if you pay.
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist
Damn, Magnus Chrona... Big Time, already got his own theme song.

Dear SharkTank DJ, please play that when Chrona makes a big save going forward...

This ain't no Peter Gabriel nonsense!

Sharkz4Fun

Feb 8, 2023
Yea I really can't tell if this is sarcasm or not. You absolutely do not add just those players and expect your team to be better.

The only way MG can make this team better is by drafting. That's it. Canucks were in the shithole for years then they found Pettersson and have now built around him, regardless if they're truly good or not. MG needs to find a Pettersson at least first and then also probably a Hughes, then a Boeser (MAYBE musty?), and then he can add bigger dogs like Miller and Hronek. Right now they have none of those players.

Reactions: sharks_dynasty

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
Yea I really can't tell if this is sarcasm or not. You absolutely do not add just those players and expect your team to be better.

The only way MG can make this team better is by drafting. That's it. Canucks were in the shithole for years then they found Pettersson and have now built around him, regardless if they're truly good or not. MG needs to find a Pettersson at least first and then also probably a Hughes, then a Boeser (MAYBE musty?), and then he can add bigger dogs like Miller and Hronek. Right now they have none of those players.
The point being made was about adding actual NHL players, which they did, and that didn't make them a better team.

I know drafting is the only way; I've been barking up that tree for years as well, and I'm not even complaining that they're worse. They need to be as bad as possible for the next couple of years at least.

Reactions: sharks_dynasty

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad