GDT: Game 60: Phaneuf's Enough | Maple Leafs @ Blackhawks | 2/15/2016 | 7:30 PM CDT | CSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
So you think pummeling the Leafs albeit still giving up 37 shots and meh in even strength and some poor pk work is "back on track"( per hype mistress T.Meyers) will save Country Club Q from getting a statement put on his boys from arch nemesis Vigneault and his Rangers who are 5-1-1 in February and are playing us in their place and given Sir Henrik's brilliant track record against us ...YA think our" back on track" team is going to beat them? Sorry for being
negative but when Q himself tells the media that we still are not playing well in our own zone,well that does not exactly make me feel good about our chances against a good and hot team in their barn and with a goalie who normally stifles us .

Our roster is the weakest it has been since 2012, no question. News flash, other teams in this league are good. Every time we lose its our lack of caring or effort according to you. Top to bottom we are not that deep, have major flaws on our bottom two lines, have a big hole on our top line. We are not losing games because of effort, we are losing games because some of these teams we play are just better than us top to bottom. You hold the Hawks on this impossible pedestal like we are the 1992 basketball olympic dream team. We are not even close.

I don't think anyone here including the biggest optimist would have predicted our record to be as good as it is right now. The trade deadline is coming and Stan needs to do something. Chill out, lighten up, its February.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
Ecstatic over the result. Now pass the crow because the stars did anything but sleepwalk through this one.

Onto the next one.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Our roster is the weakest it has been since 2012, no question. News flash, other teams in this league are good. Every time we lose its our lack of caring or effort according to you. Top to bottom we are not that deep, have major flaws on our bottom two lines, have a big hole on our top line. We are not losing games because of effort, we are losing games because some of these teams we play are just better than us top to bottom. You hold the Hawks on this impossible pedestal like we are the 1992 basketball olympic dream team. We are not even close.

I don't think anyone here including the biggest optimist would have predicted our record to be as good as it is right now. The trade deadline is coming and Stan needs to do something. Chill out, lighten up, its February.

Actually, when it comes to present day Hawks, you are more wrong than HF50.

Of course the team can always get better and I'm pretty sure Stan will try to secure Ladd at the TD, but this Hawk team is far better than what you have stated. Do they float at times? Yes, but that comes with the territory when a NHL season involves 100 + games for perennial contenders.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
Actually, when it comes to present day Hawks, you are more wrong than HF50.

Of course the team can always get better and I'm pretty sure Stan will try to secure Ladd at the TD, but this Hawk team is far better than what you have stated. Do they float at times? Yes, but that comes with the territory when a NHL season involves 100 + games for perennial contenders.

Don't agree Bobby. We are too thin on the bottom 2 lines, no real producers. I am not saying we are bad, far from it. But when it comes to depth that can produce I don't see much of anything past our top 6, and that top line has been inconsistent all year. Potential is there, but to expect it to come to fruition as its currently constructed by this years playoffs is a big ask. When you are rolling out a line of Mashinter/Rasmussen/take your pick that line is not going to be a playoff line. Hopefully Krugs is back, a trade is made to get Shaw down to the third or 4th line, and guys like TT get going.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
We are thin, thus the erratic fits and starts we've had this season. Not enough horsepower to sustain it w/o AP and Kane being hot.

I think it is enough to go deep in the playoffs.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013

Just an interesting tidbit.

That line produces less then the 4th line. I expected something from Danault and TT together. Danault started ok but now there is nothing. Desi just can't put pucks in the net, TT is not making those guys better. I am wondering if its a matter of time now before Danault is sent back down and they try something else. Something needs to happen, they have to get a little something out of the third line.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
That line produces less then the 4th line. I expected something from Danault and TT together. Danault started ok but now there is nothing. Desi just can't put pucks in the net, TT is not making those guys better. I am wondering if its a matter of time now before Danault is sent back down and they try something else. Something needs to happen, they have to get a little something out of the third line.

How do you post tweets? WTF.

I agree the line is not working. Danualt is so focused on D that he is hurting the lines offense.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
Just breezed through the league stats and it looks like maybe 3 or 4 teams have worse production from 7,8 and than the Hawks.

It's bad, very bad.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
How do you post tweets? WTF.

I agree the line is not working. Danualt is so focused on D that he is hurting the lines offense.

You did it, it just dissapeared somehow!

Danault and Desi at this stage are 4th line players. We need that trade for a top LW, drop Shaw down with TT on the third line, and send Mashinter and Rasmussen down (though Mashinter is better then many in here think he is).

Early in the year we had a young gun third line for a few games of Dano/Kero/Hartman. That line made some mistakes but damn they were aggressive on the forecheck and had good chemistry. They were winning board battles a lot of our current lines are losing. I wish Q would have stuck with them more then a handful of games, there was potential there. Guys like Rasmussen/Mashinter are what they are, hard plyers with little potential.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
You're welcome. I will be taking cash donations in order to buy season tickets, because I am the charm that this team needs in order to win.

You want to come to New York? Fiddy thinks we should just forfeit the game. If that's the case, maybe I shouldn't go to the game tomorrow.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
You did it, it just dissapeared somehow!

Danault and Desi at this stage are 4th line players. We need that trade for a top LW, drop Shaw down with TT on the third line, and send Mashinter and Rasmussen down (though Mashinter is better then many in here think he is).

Early in the year we had a young gun third line for a few games of Dano/Kero/Hartman. That line made some mistakes but damn they were aggressive on the forecheck and had good chemistry. They were winning board battles a lot of our current lines are losing. I wish Q would have stuck with them more then a handful of games, there was potential there. Guys like Rasmussen/Mashinter are what they are, hard plyers with little potential.

IF Shaw can keep it up it might be worth moving the acquired LW to 3rd line and move TT to center and have a line of New LW-TT-Panik.
Our 4th line could then be 16-24-11 which should do really well as a shutdown line.

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Don't agree Bobby. We are too thin on the bottom 2 lines, no real producers. I am not saying we are bad, far from it. But when it comes to depth that can produce I don't see much of anything past our top 6, and that top line has been inconsistent all year. Potential is there, but to expect it to come to fruition as its currently constructed by this years playoffs is a big ask. When you are rolling out a line of Mashinter/Rasmussen/take your pick that line is not going to be a playoff line. Hopefully Krugs is back, a trade is made to get Shaw down to the third or 4th line, and guys like TT get going.

No question that the inexperience of the roster is somewhat concerning but that goes with the territory when your top 6 paid players account for about half of the salary allowance. Let's not forget that our core led by K/T/Hammer/Keith/Seabs are all entering, or are in their prime. Crawford is playing the best hockey of his career and we have a solid back-up goalie who came through last season in the post season. Other than the youth factor I mentioned, I think this team will be very close to being the best Hawk team assembled after Stan does his magic again this year at the TD (and picks up a Ladd, or possibly Eriksson). I reckon the odds makers will have Hawks seeded 3rd come PO time, likely behind Caps and Kings but we'll see. I think they can beat any team in the league. They are hardly the weak team that you suggest they are.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
No question that the inexperience of the roster is somewhat concerning but that goes with the territory when your top 6 paid players account for about half of the salary allowance. Let's not forget that our core led by K/T/Hammer Keith are all entering, or are in their prime. Crawford is playing the best hockey of his career and we have a solid back-up goalie who came through last season in the post season. Other than the youth factor I mentioned, I think this team will be very close to being the best Hawk team assembled after Stan does his magic again this year at the TD (and picks up a Ladd, or possibly Eriksson). I reckon the odds makers will have Hawks seeded 3rd come PO time, likely behind Caps and Kings but we'll see. I think they can beat any team in the league. They are hardly the weak team that you suggest they are.

I think this team is as talented as we have ever had (2010 was the most talent) but we are really young. We are currently the 14th oldest team with Scuderi, Rosi, and Hossa. So remove Rosi and we actually fall into the bottom 3rd of the league, which is crazy if you think about. I do think we need a LW but I think we can win without one.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Hey guys, Crawford didn't play?

Darling played and played much better. 35/37 is not bad (.946 Save %). The first goal was flukey where he actually beat the shot to the spot and it hit the inside of his blocker and took a weird bounce. Even though it resulted in a goal it is a good sign that he was tracking the puck well which he has struggled with a bit early in his rough games. The last goal was just lazy D.

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Darling played and played much better. 35/37 is not bad (.946 Save %). The first goal was flukey where he actually beat the shot to the spot and it hit the inside of his blocker and took a weird bounce. Even though it resulted in a goal it is a good sign that he was tracking the puck well which he has struggled with a bit early in his rough games. The last goal was just lazy D.

Yep .... gotta love this save. It pretty much spoiled any chance for Leafs to keep the game within reach.

https://vine.co/v/ivq7ZlAMJAP?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=nhl

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
That's the Darling we need to see, hopefully he plays like that from here on out. Then Q can trust him more and give Crawford some much needed breaks down the stretch.

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
Couple more thoughts after I re-watcehd the game being sick on the couch.

- 57 - for a young, thin guy, TVR is REALLY, REALLY slow. Frankly, he might be one of the slowest skating D-men in the league. Of course, he makes up for it with his play, but I've been noticing and man, he's dog slow.

- 24 - sorry, but the dude is just bleh. Has made no impact whatsoever. The 3rd line is producing nothing. Nada. Desjardins struggles with finishing, but the stat above - TT with ZERO 5/5 goals on the 24/11 third line. That's not good. And Foley highlighted his struggles at the dot. Anisimov is struggling there. He'll work on it. I believe Foley said 24 had won 7 of his prior 40 face offs. Eek. That's abysmal. Compare that to Vermette on the third. What did he win, like 80% of the face offs in the playoffs last year?

Fortyfives

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2011
Couple more thoughts after I re-watcehd the game being sick on the couch.

- 57 - for a young, thin guy, TVR is REALLY, REALLY slow. Frankly, he might be one of the slowest skating D-men in the league. Of course, he makes up for it with his play, but I've been noticing and man, he's dog slow.

- 24 - sorry, but the dude is just bleh. Has made no impact whatsoever. The 3rd line is producing nothing. Nada. Desjardins struggles with finishing, but the stat above - TT with ZERO 5/5 goals on the 24/11 third line. That's not good. And Foley highlighted his struggles at the dot. Anisimov is struggling there. He'll work on it. I believe Foley said 24 had won 7 of his prior 40 face offs. Eek. That's abysmal. Compare that to Vermette on the third. What did he win, like 80% of the face offs in the playoffs last year?

I'd cut Danault a bit of slack as the guy is seeing a ridiculous amount of defensive zone draws second only to Kruger. That is the role the team is asking him to do in which he is filling the role fine. Danault, Kruger and Desjardin are in the worst 10 players in the league of ozone starts. He is also the only player in that worst 10 that has a positve corsi in 5v5. Just watch the game as his line practically never starts in the offensive zone.

I hate to get all statsy on him, but he needs a bit of respect for what role he is filling. Actually looking at this TT needs a bit of slack as well because he has a poor ozone percentage as well. I just often get upset with him because he tends to go east and west with the puck on his stick when he could push straight up the ice and put more pressure on the d-men out of the hawks d zone or in the middle of the ice.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
I'd cut Danault a bit of slack as the guy is seeing a ridiculous amount of defensive zone draws second only to Kruger. That is the role the team is asking him to do in which he is filling the role fine. Danault, Kruger and Desjardin are in the worst 10 players in the league of ozone starts. He is also the only player in that worst 10 that has a positve corsi in 5v5. Just watch the game as his line practically never starts in the offensive zone.

I hate to get all statsy on him, but he needs a bit of respect for what role he is filling. Actually looking at this TT needs a bit of slack as well because he has a poor ozone percentage as well. I just often get upset with him because he tends to go east and west with the puck on his stick when he could push straight up the ice and put more pressure on the d-men out of the hawks d zone or in the middle of the ice.

I think that's a factor that has been overlooked to some degree when talking about it.

Sure it seems like, why is Desji still on that line and playing with TT just because Desji capitalized on some good set ups TT got him in early January. Though they the far more defensive line in their use and that's the role Desji is working best for. So the Mash/Panik/Moose/whoever 4th line is more legit 4th line playing just getting weak matchup cases.

Although I was interested in seeing if Panik/TT/Cakes would do anything yet Hossa got hurt so that line didn't last beyond 1 period.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad