GDT: Game 60: Phaneuf's Enough | Maple Leafs @ Blackhawks | 2/15/2016 | 7:30 PM CDT | CSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Any Colour You Like

Regular bean eater
Nov 13, 2011
Boston U
tZTlY8c.png

UxwgKs8.png
VS.
0VK2JaC.png

TOR vs. CHI
(A8) 20-25-9 || 36-18-5 (C2)

Monday, February 15, 2016
7:30 PM CST
Chicago, Illinois

t7idDSJ.jpg

Locally Broadcast On
biNOfDe.png

Nationally Simulcast on NHL Network

[fieldset="Setting the Stage"]1. ORIGINAL FLAVOR

The Blackhawks are still looking for their first win of the homestand, and they'll have a prime opportunity to do so against the Eastern Conference-worst Maple Leafs, who have dropped three of their first four games on a five-game road trip that concludes Monday. Toronto was outscored 15-6 in those first three tilts before defeating Vancouver 5-2 on Saturday, the same day Chicago dropped a 3-2 overtime result against Anaheim after being outshot 44-23. The Blackhawks simply haven't played up to par with their opponents, posting score-adjusted shot percentages under 47 in each of those three losses. They've conceded the possession game to strong teams in San Jose, Dallas and Anaheim, but getting their game back in shape will require quicker zone exits and better puck management at the opponents' end of the ice. Chicago and Toronto previously met on Jan. 15, when Patrick Kane collected his first career regular-season hat trick and played a part in all four Blackhawks goals as the visitors romped to a 4-1 victory.

2. HOSS LOSS

The Blackhawks will need to get back in the win column without their most consistent two-way winger in Marian Hossa, who left Saturday's contest with a lower-body injury and was placed on injured reserve on Sunday. While he had just 28 points (10G, 18A) in 54 games this season, his ability to assert himself at both ends of the ice meant the Blackhawks were controlling around 52 percent of shots at even strength when he was on the ice, third-best among team forwards (per war-on-ice.com). Chicago will also need to replace his 17:23 of ice time, which includes 1:59 of power play and 1:28 of shorthanded shifts. The team didn't practice on Sunday, which means Head Coach Joel Quenneville could opt to try out a number of options at the right wing spot against Toronto, including Teuvo Teravainen, Andrew Desjardins, Rockford callup Vincent Hinostroza or Kane if the scoreline necessitates it.

3. THE BABCOCK EFFECT

Toronto brass had hopes that bringing in veteran head coach Mike Babcock would help stabilize a Leafs team that has strung together several disappointing seasons. In some ways, he has done that, improving the team's overall possession numbers by nearly 5 percent (50.9 CF%, up from 46.4 in 2014-15, per war-on-ice.com). However, the trade of sniper Phil Kessel last summer and long-term injuries to James van Riemsdyk and Tyler Bozak this season left a big gap in scoring talent that no one has come close to replicating. Leo Komarov leads the team with 18 tallies, and Toronto is one of nine teams without a 20-goal-scorer yet this season. Add to that a lengthy injury to starter James Reimer earlier in the season and the recent trade of captain Dion Phaneuf to Ottawa, and the Leafs are facing some tough sledding to finish out the year. The Blackhawks are familiar with Babcock's systems, having battled against his Red Wings teams for years, and despite a perceived lack of talent on paper, Toronto has enough experienced players who can take advantage of mistakes or bad efforts in the defensive zone.

4. THE CONSTANT GARDINER

One bright spot for Toronto over the last week has been the play of defenseman Jake Gardiner, who has four points in his last three outings, including two helpers on Saturday in Vancouver. He currently ranks second among team defensemen with a 53.4 on-ice shot attempt percentage, and he's been better than 59 percent in five of his last six outings (per war-on-ice.com). Gardiner played a season-high 25:40 on Feb. 9 in Calgary, the team's first game without Phaneuf, and with big shoes to fill in terms of ice time and all-around utility, he will certainly be one of the names Babcock counts on moving forward. In five seasons with Toronto, the 25-year-old has accumulated 109 points in 297 games, and he along with Morgan Rielly will be ones to watch for the Blackhawks on Monday, as they're always eager to join the rush and post up for big point shots at five-on-five and on the power play.

5. TWO IF BY SEABS

Defenseman Brent Seabrook provided the Blackhawks' only offensive sparks on Saturday against Anaheim, leading the team with five shots on goal and compiling his first multi-goal outing of the campaign and third of his career. The 30-year-old reached a couple of benchmarks with his two tallies. The first—a slapshot after the puck ricocheted back to him when his initial shot was blocked—tied a career high for power-play tallies (5, initially set in 2010-11). With his second of the night, which tied the score at 2-2 midway through the third period, Seabrook reached the double-digit goal mark for the first time in his career, and he continues to lead club blueliners with 35 points in 59 games this season.

THE FINAL WORD

The fact that Toronto sits last in the East shouldn't lessen the Blackhawks' sense of urgency heading into Monday's game as they try to break out of a lackluster home stretch. Babcock has seen his team suffer from a huge offensive drop-off this season—especially on the power play, where they sit dead-last in the league—but they'll still attempt to slow the game down and make life difficult for the Blackhawks. Illnesses and injuries have taken their toll on Chicago and caused some roster confusion, but establishing puck possession early and giving a solid 60-minute effort should be enough to take care of business.
- Emerald Gao, blackhawks.nhl.com
[/fieldset]

Starting Lineups

[fieldset="Toronto Maple Leafs"]
:leafs

GP | 54 | ROW | 15
GF | 127 | GF/G | 2.35
GA | 151 | GA/G | 2.80
AWAY | 12-17-2 | PP% | 14.6% (30th)
STREAK | W 1 | PK% |81.2% (13th)

40-24-47
Michael Grabner - Peter Holland - Leo Komarov
38-33-15
Colin Greening - Mark Arcobello - PA Parenteau
26-16-28
Daniel Winnik - Nick Spaling - Brad Boyes
25-56-49
Rich Clune - Byron Froese - Brendan Leipsic

2-44
Matt Hunwick - Morgan Reilly
51-46
Jake Gardiner - Roman Polák
52-20
Martin Marincin - Frankie Corrado

James Reimer
Jonathan Bernier
[/fieldset]
[fieldset="Chicago Blackhawks"]
:hawks

GP | 59 | ROW | 35
GF | 163 | GF/G | 2.75
GA | 137 | GA/G | 2.32
HOME | 21-7-2 | PP% | 20.3% (8th)
STREAK | OTL 1 | PK% | 80.9% (17th)

65-19-48
Andrew Shaw - Jonathan Toews - Vincent Hinostroza
72-15-88
Artemi Panarin - Artem Anisimov - Patrick Kane
34-86-14
Jiří Sekáč - Teuvo Teräväinen - Richard Pánik
70-24-11
Dennis Rasmussen - Phillip Danault - Andrew Desjardins

2-4
Duncan Keith - Niklas Hjalmarsson
57-7
Trevor van Riemsdyk - Brent Seabrook
43-52
Viktor Svedberg - Erik Gustafsson

Corey Crawford
Scott Darling
[/fieldset]
[fieldset="Injury Report"]
:leafs

Player | Injury | Duration
Tyler Bozak | Head | Indefinitely
Nathan Horton | Concussion | Indefinitely
Nazem Kadri | Lower-body | Day-to-day
Josh Leivo | Upper-body | On IR
Joffrey Lupul | Middle-body | Week-to-week
Shawn Matthias | Whiplash | Day-to-day
Stephane Robidas | Undisclosed | Indefinitely
James van Reimsdyk | Foot fracture | 4-6 months

:hawks

Player | Injury | Duration
Marián Hossa | Leg | 1 week
Marcus Krüger | Dislocated wrist | 4 months
[/fieldset]

:hawks :hawks :hawks LET'S GO HAWKS! :hawks :hawks :hawks

member 151739

Hopefully the floodgates open for the offense. Marlies are going down.

aonb

Oct 26, 2013
Hey guys, caps fan here

Can you tell me something about Gustafsson? Last year I catched a couple of Frolunda's games and he impressed me. Looking at his stats everything seems to be fine (despite he's still without first NHL goal, 8A and +10 is decent). Once he earns 19 minutes TOI, and once he is healthy scratch. Whats going on with him? :)

Your Reality Check

Nov 11, 2013
Chicago
I'm officially at the point where I don't care anymore and wish to start the playoffs now. When the team I root for wins 3 Cups in 6 years, these regular season games start becoming a grind just to watch. Especially when they don't care to try half the time.

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013
I'm officially at the point where I don't care anymore and wish to start the playoffs now. When the team I root for wins 3 Cups in 6 years, these regular season games start becoming a grind just to watch. Especially when they don't care to try half the time.

Would you like a back rub?

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can

There's always XBOX of course.:naughty:

You can jump back on in April.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
We need a win. Another week like this last one and we will be in third in the division. The Blows are coming on fast and are right behind us. Wake up boys

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
Sekac-JT-Panik
P=Arty
Hinostroza-Danault-TT
Desi-moose-shaw

come on Q give it a try.......

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto

This is the last game I care about until April.

After this just cheering for health.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Well this GDT starter sure is.loco....you expect this Country Club Hawks team to play a full 60? Count on 1 hand the times that has happened this year....more often than not they play only 1 good period out of 3 and some games they managed 2 of 3 ...but very few...and of course the fiasco games they lost by not showing up in any period ...Even in the wins ot was hardly much domination by a full 60 effort but more often 1 good period and the saving excellence of CC...some games he stole for us. SO to say Hawks TCB if they play a full 60 is asking g too much from this group ...if we do win it w.ill be because Leafs do not show up and we will blitz them for 1b period and coast in the other 2 periods to dock the ship...But if Babs motivates his depleted lineup to actually compete hard on us for a full 60 effort against the champs ...you know....just for the pride of a loser beating a champ..well then our lazy stars giving only a few shifts of grade A effort w.ill definitely. not TCB....Either the SHAME of losing 4 in a row ATHOME will be motivation for our guys to not let it hapoen...or they simply do not give a you know what and cashing their fat cheques is all they care about ..You expect Country Club Q to do the motivating? That is am LOL! It is upto our players themselves to have pride and NOT to get complacent because it is ONLY the Leafs so they do not have to exert much but only Don the Indianhead and Leafs w.ill surrender...Sure...

Xinji

Apr 27, 2014
Hoping Kane can get >1 point this game. Seems to be cooling off a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad