Half-Assed GDT: Game 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

HOOCH2173

That HOOCH is Crazy!
Nov 24, 2009
Lake Forest
What did Ott give Backes to help him feel better? I need answers!!

From Craig C. at ESPN -

Ott gave Backes an infrared healing mat that Ott had used -- with positive results -- to help ease his own injuries. The gesture clearly touched his captain.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
Any point you are trying to make is completely invalidated if you consider a first ballot hall of famer a 'slug' and can't see that Joe Pavelski is an elite NHL player. Those two were 5th and 8th in scoring this season and that 'slug' is still the best passer in the game.

so 5th and 8th in scoring must be better than 1st and 2nd, which the blues shutdown. you must think thornton is pavel bure i guess. hes a big guy but hes as slow as a slug, yet somehow he blew past 19 and 27 on sj first goal. like i said, we choked. shutdown toews, kane and jamie benn, let pavelski and a 36 year old beat you.

sharks wanted it more too but we flat out choked. petro was nowhere near the same level as he was vs the hawks. jbo was a trainwreck. shattenkirk was.....shattenkirk.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Good 3rd period by Blues, overally pathetic performance. Tarasenko find his rhythm too late.

Sharsk want it more or it looked like that, skate better, forecheck harder and weren't afraid of to keep puck.

Sharks were clearly better, no doubt. Jumbo deserve SC.

Hey Ranksu. You jump all over Allen every chance you get. What do you have to say about Elliott letting in 10 goals on his last 63 shots? I am guessing nothing.

SteenMachine

Oct 19, 2008
Fenton, MO
Hey Ranksu. You jump all over Allen every chance you get. What do you have to say about Elliott letting in 10 goals on his last 63 shots? I am guessing nothing.

It was about as impressive as the skaters scoring 0 goals in 10 periods and putting up single digit shot totals 90% of the series. Jones never even had to work hard.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
It was about as impressive as the skaters scoring 0 goals in 10 periods and putting up single digit shot totals 90% of the series. Jones never even had to work hard.

Don't go in those boys flame bait. Let them just be if they don't see bigger picture and result wise how far this went in this post-season with Elliott.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014

No doubt. I agree. But talking about Ells here and strictly his performance. He fell off pretty hard his last few games. We all know if it were Allen who had stats like that he would be getting bashed by lots of people on here. Even if the Blues weren't scoring.

Again I bring up last season when the Blues scored 2, 1, 1, 0 goals in their losses yet Allen was blamed for losing the series.

My point is... BOTH goalies are good enough to win and the teams in front could have had better O. That being said, everyone crashed at the end of this series. Just funny how Ells is immune to this in some peoples eyes.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Don't go in those boys flame bait. Let them just be if they don't see bigger picture and result wise how far this went in this post-season with Elliott.

Hey I was right! You have nothing to say about it. :laugh:

CardiffStLouisBlue

Jul 4, 2015
Cardiff
Some times you've got to hold your hands up and say that the other team were just better and more up for it. Enjoyed the first season, considering this is the season where the Blues got the most wins in their existence, its all downhill from here :)

LGB :blues

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
No doubt. I agree. But talking about Ells here and strictly his performance. He fell off pretty hard his last few games. We all know if it were Allen who had stats like that he would be getting bashed by lots of people on here. Even if the Blues weren't scoring.

Again I bring up last season when the Blues scored 2, 1, 1, 0 goals in their losses yet Allen was blamed for losing the series.

My point is... BOTH goalies are good enough to win and the teams in front could have had better O. That being said, everyone crashed at the end of this series. Just funny how Ells is immune to this in some peoples eyes.

i agree with you 100%. Elliott deserves credit for getting us here. But he also deserves credit for the downfall.

He had a good playoff run. Could have been great though.

SteenMachine

Oct 19, 2008
Fenton, MO

The thing about Allen is he has about a 5th of the experience Elliott does, I expect Allen to have a hard time in this situation. I don't hate him as a goalie, but the guy needs to mature into a winner still.

Elliott's performance this post season was insane along with Pietro and Backes. If it weren't for the Fabbri line's heroics we wouldn't even be worried about which goalie is the real deal because we would have come up dry in the 1st two series.

I don't really care how our goalies look when we never have control of the puck and are just getting flat out owned past the red line. They can't fix that for their team. Allen tried to, and then he does what Allen does and that's fine but people who predict it are right to do so.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
so 5th and 8th in scoring must be better than 1st and 2nd, which the blues shutdown. you must think thornton is pavel bure i guess. hes a big guy but hes as slow as a slug, yet somehow he blew past 19 and 27 on sj first goal. like i said, we choked. shutdown toews, kane and jamie benn, let pavelski and a 36 year old beat you.

sharks wanted it more too but we flat out choked. petro was nowhere near the same level as he was vs the hawks. jbo was a trainwreck. shattenkirk was.....shattenkirk.

Kane/Toews/Panarin combined for 241 points.

Dallas' top 3 (excluding Seguin) had 210 points.

Thorton, Pavelski and Burns combined for 235 points.

San Jose was the only team in the league with 3 guys in the top 15 of scoring. The worst of them was 11th and all 3 of them outscored our top scorer. They also have a significantly better bottom 6 than Chicago or Dallas. Acting like depth is meaningless because none of them were 1st in scoring is beyond stupid. It is much easier to shut down 1 or 2 elite scorers than 3. That's just common sense.

Don't forget that Logan Couture has been lights out all playoffs and entered our series with 17 points in 12 games. Chicago and Dallas didn't have anything like that to take pressure off their elite players.

Last edited:

Squeeven

Sep 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Hey guys Sharks fan here coming in peace. Honestly man I have a lot of respect for your whole team and I was really happy with how clean both teams kept it considering the dirtiest thing I saw was Backes tugging on Thornton's beard and Thornton deciding to do the same right back to him hahaha. Even that I wouldn't consider dirty at all. I can't remember which game it was and I believe it was Backes though who was gonna collide knee on knee with Hertl. They even showed a replay highlighting how Backes made sure to get out of the way mentioning how part of the reason they thought Backes got out of the way was because he was aware of Hertl's past knee injury which honestly just shows how classy Backes can be even if he is that kind of tough, hard nosed grinder that you hate playing against. He earned a lot of respect from me for that.

But all that aside I just have to say that I have a lot of respect for your team as a whole and you guys were the one team in the West that I was afraid of running into because I knew how good your team was defensively and just overall and that you guys were just as desperate as our guys to exorcise those demons and finally go all the way. If the Sharks had been eliminated you were the only team in the West I would have liked to see go all the way and I think you guys will soon. I honestly think that your management would be wise to keep that core together. Great series guys, hope we meet again soon because that was a fun series that definitely had my heart racing, especially those last 5 minutes because if we gave up that lead and lost I probably would have cried lol.

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Hey guys Sharks fan here coming in peace. Honestly man I have a lot of respect for your whole team and I was really happy with how clean both teams kept it considering the dirtiest thing I saw was Backes tugging on Thornton's beard and Thornton deciding to do the same right back to him hahaha. Even that I wouldn't consider dirty at all. I can't remember which game it was and I believe it was Backes though who was gonna collide knee on knee with Hertl. They even showed a replay highlighting how Backes made sure to get out of the way mentioning how part of the reason they thought Backes got out of the way was because he was aware of Hertl's past knee injury which honestly just shows how classy Backes can be even if he is that kind of tough, hard nosed grinder that you hate playing against. He earned a lot of respect from me for that.

But all that aside I just have to say that I have a lot of respect for your team as a whole and you guys were the one team in the West that I was afraid of running into because I knew how good your team was defensively and just overall and that you guys were just as desperate as our guys to exorcise those demons and finally go all the way. If the Sharks had been eliminated you were the only team in the West I would have liked to see go all the way and I think you guys will soon. I honestly think that your management would be wise to keep that core together. Great series guys, hope we meet again soon because that was a fun series that definitely had my heart racing, especially those last 5 minutes because if we gave up that lead and lost I probably would have cried lol.

Good luck in SCF. Should be a great series whoever you play.

Personally, I hope the Sharks win the Cup but I won't speak for all my fellow fans. Nonetheless, it was a great series and the Sharks are one hell of team.

Squeeven

Sep 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Good luck in SCF. Should be a great series whoever you play.

Personally, I hope the Sharks win the Cup but I won't speak for all my fellow fans. Nonetheless, it was a great series and the Sharks are one hell of team.

Thanks man, the finals definitely will be a great series. Kinda hoping we don't play the Lightning though since they are just so good even without Stamkos and also because my brother is a Lightning fan so I'd literally never live down the potential loss haha.

But yeah the Blues are honestly a great team and I kid you not I was really hoping Dallas won that series because I was nervous to play you guys. I was just thinking about what kind of improvements you guys need to make in the off-season because I feel like Tarasenko will take a lot of the blame for...I don't wanna say going missing because that wouldn't be the right term since Vlasic was making sure he shut him down and he was getting his chances but I don't know if offense is the problem or what but I definitely don't think you guys need to change much. Hang on to Brouwer though because with how hot he was with the puck I was nervous when he had it.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014

I am guessing you missed Burns sucker punching Tarasenko in the ribs when guys were sitting on top of him?

All that though and I don't hate the Sharks. Better you guys than someone else who has won it recently. I like the Sharks logo, colors and their really isn't anyone on their team that I hate. Even with Thortons head-shot to Perron and Burns punching Taraskeno in the ribs. Stuff like that happens.

Go win a cup for the fans of teams that don't ever win one. Blues have suffered for 49 years. Whats one more. ...I feel like I will be saying this again next year.

SteenMachine

Oct 19, 2008
Fenton, MO
There's no denying that this is the best Sharks team in franchise history on so many levels. Not just where they are in the post season, all around the team.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Hey guys Sharks fan here coming in peace. Honestly man I have a lot of respect for your whole team and I was really happy with how clean both teams kept it considering the dirtiest thing I saw was Backes tugging on Thornton's beard and Thornton deciding to do the same right back to him hahaha. Even that I wouldn't consider dirty at all.

The series was a joke compared to the Hawks/Blues series as far as entertaining value. The fact that you saw Jumbo do nothing dirty like punch Pietrangelo in the back of the head for no reason and Burns elbowing Tarasenko in the ribs as a Shark sat on top of Tarasenko is of little surprise.

Somehow the networks made the Sharks story of being this heart wrenching franchise because they've gone 20 something years without a cup is simply bizarre. Try 49 years on for size. Try to come to terms with watching your team go to the playoffs 25 years in a row and never even making it to the finals.

The Sharks have been in existence for 25 years. Imagine if you can, watching the Sharks make the playoffs every year they've been around and every ****ing year bow out 99% of the time before reaching the Western Finals and never making the Cup finals.

Let that sink in.

I'm not even going to go through some fiasco's by owners and gm's the fans have had to suffer through but it's a holy hell ****ing lot more than San Jose.

So believe me in all sincerity when I say it's nothing personal towards you or any other Sharks fan when I say **** off Sharks and I hope they're swept by whoever makes it from the East.

The last thing I want to see is the only team I hate, yet another expansion team Sharks, hoist the cup before the hockey gods grant the long suffering die hard Blues fans 1.

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
I just wanted to say how much I enjoyed interacting with you folks in the WCF Game Day threads. It was almost always frank, but good-natured exchanges, and a few laughs along the way. The way it should be.

I'm thrilled that the Sharks will have a shot at the Cup, but after seeing Backes' post-game, I have to admit that my joy is tempered with a touch of sadness.

Hope our teams meet again next playoffs. Best wishes for the offseason.

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
The series was a joke compared to the Hawks/Blues series as far as entertaining value. The fact that you saw Jumbo do nothing dirty like punch Pietrangelo in the back of the head for no reason and Burns elbowing Tarasenko in the ribs as a Shark sat on top of Tarasenko is of little surprise.

Somehow the networks made the Sharks story of being this heart wrenching franchise because they've gone 20 something years without a cup is simply bizarre. Try 49 years on for size. Try to come to terms with watching your team go to the playoffs 25 years in a row and never even making it to the finals.

The Sharks have been in existence for 25 years. Imagine if you can, watching the Sharks make the playoffs every year they've been around and every ****ing year bow out 99% of the time before reaching the Western Finals and never making the Cup finals.

Let that sink in.

I'm not even going to go through some fiasco's by owners and gm's the fans have had to suffer through but it's a holy hell ****ing lot more than San Jose.

So believe me in all sincerity when I say it's nothing personal towards you or any other Sharks fan when I say **** off Sharks and I hope they're swept by whoever makes it from the East.

The last thing I want to see is the only team I hate, yet another expansion team Sharks, hoist the cup before the hockey gods grant the long suffering die hard Blues fans 1.

Sounds like sour grapes, but I'm with Spektre here. I don't have anything against the Sharks fans themselves, but seriously, nothing dirty? Burns punched Tarasenko right in the ribs while he was just laying on the ice, no where near the goaltender. Thornton punched Pietrangelo in the back of the head and don't get me started on Polak punching Jasking 5-6 times and instigating a fight but not getting a penalty for it beyond roughing. Wingels trying to deliver a headshot to Shattenkirk in game 5 and Bouwmeester in game 6. Against Shattenkirk, he covered up from the crosscheck (dive) and once the whistle went to call a penalty, the dude popped up like a rabbit and wanted to fight. For the Sharks fans, good for them getting to the finals for the first time in franchise history, but I honestly hope they lose because as far as I'm concerned, the Sharks players took liberties and weren't called for it.

Squeeven

Sep 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I am guessing you missed Burns sucker punching Tarasenko in the ribs when guys were sitting on top of him?

All that though and I don't hate the Sharks. Better you guys than someone else who has won it recently. I like the Sharks logo, colors and their really isn't anyone on their team that I hate. Even with Thortons head-shot to Perron and Burns punching Taraskeno in the ribs. Stuff like that happens.

Go win a cup for the fans of teams that don't ever win one. Blues have suffered for 49 years. Whats one more. ...I feel like I will be saying this again next year.

Honestly yeah I might have missed that but probably because I didn't hear the commentators say anything about it. And I don't mean to start anything hear but that couldn't have been as bad as Upshall shooting the puck at Wingels' face. And honestly I just re-watched the Thornton hit on Perron and I don't think that was intentional but I'm not about to stir up **** here and argue about that. My point was though is that I didn't think this was a dirty series aside from a few incidents here and there but nothing too major in my opinion. Honestly though I was watching this series on CBC courtesy of SportsNet so I'm not gonna deny that Thornton punched Pietrangelo in the back of the head, I'm just going off the angles that I saw during the game and in between stoppages, the replays that were shown but it was a bit of a chippy series so I'm sure Thornton and Burns did those things for a reason even though that still doesn't justify it.

But I know what you mean though man its not easy watching your team suffer because I've been watching my Sharks come so close every year so I guess I can't really imagine what its been like for you guys for 49 years.

Squeeven

Sep 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

Let that sink in.

Dude I don't really know what to say to you if you're gonna be like that but I won't deny that Thornton or Burns did what you guys claim but I honestly didn't see it because it must have happened pretty quickly and I don't recall Bob Cole and Mike Johnson on CBC bringing it up. But the series was pretty chippy both ways from what I saw. Like I said man, it's not like Upshall didn't shoot the puck right at Wingels' face after he slashed/high sticked him.

And I understand where you're coming from that you guys have suffered for a lot longer than us and to be honest I wouldn't like to see an expansion team win a cup before us unless I felt they've been as good as we have for all that time but if a team deserves to go all the way then they deserve it. I think the reason that networks must have been making the Sharks story seem heart wrenching because of how long Marleau and Thornton have been around and that loss against the Kings 2 years ago. To me it sounded more like a heart wrenching story about those two more so than the whole team overall but it was mixed from the networks I was watching which was CBC courtesy of Sportsnet and TSN's highlights. I don't see it as "We've suffered for so much longer than you guys so **** you, we deserve it first!" kind of thing. Like I said before the Blues are an amazing team that, have been beaten by a rival like the Hawks I don't even know how many times but eventually your time will come but its no reason to be so bitter towards a fan base supporting a team that was just the better team in the series. We've suffered for a long time too being stopped by the Kings, Canucks, and even the Blackhawks in the conference finals too so I feel like we deserve this. You guys are a great team and I hope your time comes soon. Good luck next year and I hope we meet again!

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Honestly yeah I might have missed that but probably because I didn't hear the commentators say anything about it. And I don't mean to start anything hear but that couldn't have been as bad as Upshall shooting the puck at Wingels' face. And honestly I just re-watched the Thornton hit on Perron and I don't think that was intentional but I'm not about to stir up **** here and argue about that. My point was though is that I didn't think this was a dirty series aside from a few incidents here and there but nothing too major in my opinion. Honestly though I was watching this series on CBC courtesy of SportsNet so I'm not gonna deny that Thornton punched Pietrangelo in the back of the head, I'm just going off the angles that I saw during the game and in between stoppages, the replays that were shown but it was a bit of a chippy series so I'm sure Thornton and Burns did those things for a reason even though that still doesn't justify it.

But I know what you mean though man its not easy watching your team suffer because I've been watching my Sharks come so close every year so I guess I can't really imagine what its been like for you guys for 49 years.

...but you don't mean to start anything...:sarcasm:

Except that is EXACTLY what you are doing. Coming into our GDT in our forum and starting arguments.

Congrats on making the SCF. 25 years is a long drought. It's been 46 for us.

I just wanted to say how much I enjoyed interacting with you folks in the WCF Game Day threads. It was almost always frank, but good-natured exchanges, and a few laughs along the way. The way it should be.

I'm thrilled that the Sharks will have a shot at the Cup, but after seeing Backes' post-game, I have to admit that my joy is tempered with a touch of sadness.

Hope our teams meet again next playoffs. Best wishes for the offseason.

You made me laugh several times in the WCF Game Day threads, probably my favorite SJ poster. Cheers, good luck to your sharks. I won't root for yall, but I also won't be upset if yall win.

Squeeven

Sep 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
...but you don't mean to start anything...:sarcasm:

Except that is EXACTLY what you are doing. Coming into our GDT in our forum and starting arguments.

Congrats on making the SCF. 25 years is a long drought. It's been 46 for us.

lol no that's not what I'm doing. I came in here and tried to be cool about everything so if someone mentions a few dirty things that the Sharks did, I'm gonna mention the Upshall incident so it wasn't me that started that. I just came to say good series and how I respected your team and would have liked to see them go all the way if the Sharks didn't, sorry it turned into that though but I tried not to let it happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad