GDT: Game 6: Wild @ Oilers - 8PM CDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I disagree. Kirill has, according to Russo and stats, been his own worst enemy.

You don't get to disagree if all you do is read Russo's tweets and look at the stats

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don’t even have an issue with Rossi playing behind Hartman and Ek, I think he should be, but some legitimate line mates would be nice. Even Foligno is fine but Freddy is playing like Rossi last year lol
Yeah, what's up with that? I thought Freddy was fine in his own modest way last year, but he might be one of those guys who is better as a C.

He seems to be kind of lost as a wing on that line. Not bad, really, but not good, either.

I can't believe how much stronger and confident Rossi is this year.

Arturia Pendragon

Humble Optimist
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Holy Grail
Yeah, what's up with that? I thought Freddy was fine in his own modest way last year, but he might be one of those guys who is better as a C.

He seems to be kind of lost as a wing on that line. Not bad, really, but not good, either.

I can.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Rossi needs to get a look with Boldy or Kaprizov eventually. He's been creating chances every shift and confidence is a fickle thing. Lets put the kid with someone who can finish.

Reactions: 57special

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011
Rossi needs to get a look with Boldy or Kaprizov eventually. He's been creating chances every shift and confidence is a fickle thing. Lets put the kid with someone who can finish.

Unfortunately I don't see that happening in at least 20 games now that Hartman had a 5 point game.

Reactions: MNRube

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia

Just came here to say this. Don't care about the points or anything, his play has been so night and day on a shift-to-shift basis this year.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Just came here to say this. Don't care about the points or anything, his play has been so night and day on a shift-to-shift basis this year.

Agreed. Last season, he looked tentative and unsure of himself. Night and day to this season where he seems to be playing like he's a man with something to prove. I like it.

Reactions: Sad People

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Rossi has proven chemistry with Boldy. Problem right now is that you want Rossi to be playing C (I've never seen him on the wing), and I don't see demoting JEE or Hartman to the 3rd line right now.

As is, Rossi is doing fine, and as we saw last night, Foligno is there to pound anyone (Desharanais?) who gives him a cheap shot after a whistle. He won't be there forever. Sooner or later someone will get injured, and he will move up to the top 6. At that point it's up to him to nail down a spot.

BTW, a small thing, but Mermis looked decent. That penalty he took was at a bad time, but it was a very soft, "game management" call. The guy simply fell down. Otherwise, he was mostly good. You can tell he is stronger and more committed to defense than Addison. If he was a RS he'd be up here for good, IMO. He does make the odd bad read, but nothing terrible. I noticed he was strong and agile enough to defend wingers to the outside multiple times last night.

Lettieri looked decent in his limited time. Stronger and grittier than Petan, though that's not saying much. I think both he and Walker can contribute, though they are more suited to an offensive role. 4th line gets pretty quick if he and/or Walker is on it, though.

Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Agreed. Last season, he looked tentative and unsure of himself. Night and day to this season where he seems to be playing like he's a man with something to prove. I like it.
I loved it when he cross checked an Oiler who was going after a linemate after a whistle. Marco the Goon? That seemed so out of character for him, but after all those summer workouts and the new facial scar he's starting to look, and play, like a NHL'er.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
BTW, a small thing, but Mermis looked decent. That penalty he took was at a bad time, but it was a very soft, "game management" call. The guy simply fell down. Otherwise, he was mostly good. You can tell he is stronger and more committed to defense than Addison. If he was a RS he'd be up here for good, IMO. He does make the odd bad read, but nothing terrible. I noticed he was strong and agile enough to defend wingers to the outside multiple times last night.

Lettieri looked decent in his limited time. Stronger and grittier than Petan, though that's not saying much. I think both he and Walker can contribute, though they are more suited to an offensive role. 4th line gets pretty quick if he and/or Walker is on it, though.
agreed on Mermis, was pleasantly suprised. He can skate at this level and seems to understand his limitations. Addison cannot play a regular shift if this team wants to contend, hes way too much of a liability IMO.

I also like Dewar/Duhaime with a speedy player. They create a lot of chances and having someone that can keep up makes sense. The only issue is that Maroon then has to be a HS or in the Top 9, neither of which feels right.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Zucc-Hartman-Kaprizov
Foligno-Rossi-Boldy
Mojo-JEE-Gaudreau
Maroon-Dewar-Duhaime

Keeps Foligno with Rossi to watch his back but gives him a skilled scorer to work with. 3rd line can be a shutdown line and maybe more if Gaudreau finds his game. This is assuming that the top-line won't be touched after the EDM game

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
That Oilers defense is absolutely atrocious
I thought last seaosn they really took a step forward and looked to be a team that could make noise for years to come. So far this year they look to take a big step back. Maybe with McDavid back they will start to figure it out. I'd be pissed as an oilers fan though. So many wasted years.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
Zucc-Hartman-Kaprizov
Foligno-Rossi-Boldy
Mojo-JEE-Gaudreau
Maroon-Dewar-Duhaime

Keeps Foligno with Rossi to watch his back but gives him a skilled scorer to work with. 3rd line can be a shutdown line and maybe more if Gaudreau finds his game. This is assuming that the top-line won't be touched after the EDM game
The top line was already so hard to break up even with all our efforts, they definitely aren't going to change after last nights game.

But as much as we groan about Rossi being is stuck with Foligno/Gaudreau, I actually do feel Dean might try some shuffling the other 3 lines sooner than we think as we are still trying to solve the slow start problem and all the other lines have been relatively average. And Dean doesn't have that same love for the Kaprizov/Zucc bromance with any of the other pairings. If Dean can get a sniff of the old GREEF line, we might get a big power forward line:

Kaprizov - Hartman - Zucc
Johansson - Rossi - Boldy
Maroon - JEE - Foligno
Gaudreau - Dewar - Duhaime

Then keep JEE on the top #1 PP where he can keep racking up points. And I've actually come to like Maroon is short bursts bc he has some nifty hands so in a dedicated power line, he might fit in.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Zucc-Hartman-Kaprizov
Foligno-Rossi-Boldy
Mojo-JEE-Gaudreau
Maroon-Dewar-Duhaime

Rossi doesn't need someone to "watch his back", this is a lie you've been fed by Minnesota coaches and Russo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille