GDT: Game 6 | Leafs Vs Bruins | COME BACK CONTINUES - (and so does) WAKE UP EDITION | Thursday, May 2; 8 p.m. EST | Leafs trail series 2-3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bust

Jul 28, 2016
We were an unstoppable force somehow when Roberts took over. I actually remember thinking would we have gone further if Sundin didn't return.

The whole team took on Roberts mindset and it was undeniable.

Then I look at JT and how he acts. Probably get more out of this team with a motivated Reaves wearing the C
It may not be a popular opinion here - but this is what Max Domi bring to this team. He drags people into the fight. Look at both of Matthews and Marner joining his line for reference, they both look different (in the best way possible) playing with Max.

This is crazy to type out, but we go as far as Domi takes us right now. The guy is the tone setter on this squad - not JT, Matthews, Marner, Willy. It’s too much of the same. Those 4 can win us a series - Domi types will win us a championship.

Locking domi up long term needs to be heavily considered and a major priority this summer.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Let's be real here, we all know there is going to be a game seven and it's obvious that the ref will be Wes McCauley, and the leafs will lose the game, and there will be at least one play during the game that we wish had been refereed differently, and the conspiracy theories will start up again, despite the fact that Leafs coach Sheldon Keefe testified in favor of McCauley's cousin Sheldon Keefe testified in favor of McCauley's brother in law David Frost, not against him.
That's a huge conflict of interest, and I am shocked (not shocked) that he's even allowed to ref Leafs games.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK

pissing blood iv heard .. could be from hernia ?

Nah, he's just smart...

cant-come-up-131a1dc736.jpg

Reactions: BraveCanadian

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
It would be doable if NHL playoff format wasn't total aids and we didn't have face top teams each year right out of the gate

How about we get the Los Angeles Kings or the Washington Capitals for a change
maybe next season, and for sure the season afterwards
if we fix our D and get a coaching upgrade, we would be the favorite for the cup and presidents trophy
if we dont, then same old, same old
Florida will not be as deep next season, as they have ~21mil to resign 3 D (including Montour) and need 7 forwards (including Reinhart, Lundell, Cousins and any of the acquired forwards) this season is their ' best shot' ...ours 'should' be in 2 seasons (after the JT contract expires)

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
Sometimes missing your best players allows others to overperform.

Not going to lie I'd be afraid of Boston without Pasta. Something about that sounds like bad juju. No thanks, don't want the pressure

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
The list of things wrong with Matthews on this board, in the last day of so.

Illness
Mono
Long Covid
Peeing blood
High Ankle Sprain
Groin
Concussion
Back.

Good times.

lol, eventually it’ll come out. The speculation in the meantime is doing no one any good in our discussions that’s for sure.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
I think refs tend to put away their whistles late in a series, so we've got that going for us.

• Haha
Reactions: 3blizzard4

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Okay, here's a conspiracy theory for you. Let's say that we all agree the writing is on the wall and that if the leafs don't make a real splash in the playoffs this year, big changes are coming. Including one of the core four being moved, and the coach being fired, if not more. Matthews and Nylander, with their new contracts, are not going anywhere. And they know it. But they like the situation as it is right now, with their preferred coach and their buddies Marner and Tavares and Rielly on the team with them.

The only way, short of actually winning a couple of series this year, that they can keep the gang together, is to have a built-in excuse ready to go, so as a hail Mary, nylander misses a few games, and then Matthews misses a few games after that. That way, when they lose in the first round, it's more forgivable because their two best players weren't available to them. Voila, they bought themselves one more year with their buddies as management is able to justify running it back one last time.

Not that I actually believe this, but I'm sure it will make a few of you think...

• Haha
Reactions: egd27

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
It would be doable if NHL playoff format wasn't total aids and we didn't have face top teams each year right out of the gate

We had teams even worse in CBJ (33W-37L), and MTL (24W-32L) and still lost.

This year we finished 5th in the East and are playing the 4th place team, or league wide, we finished 10th and are playing the 7th place team, exactly how it should be.

Last year we finished 4th in the East and played the (distant) 6th place team.

Saying we've been screwed by the playoff format is just plain wrong. We've been handed matchups with arguably the 2 worst teams to make the playoffs in the modern era and we still lost.

Reactions: Just Rude

Just Rude

"I'm listening to the *** song!!!"
Oct 15, 2005
Okay, here's a conspiracy theory for you. Let's say that we all agree the writing is on the wall and that if the leafs don't make a real splash in the playoffs this year, big changes are coming. Including one of the core four being moved, and the coach being fired, if not more. Matthews and Nylander, with their new contracts, are not going anywhere. And they know it. But they like the situation as it is right now, with their preferred coach and their buddies Marner and Tavares and Rielly on the team with them.

The only way, short of actually winning a couple of series this year, that they can keep the gang together, is to have a built-in excuse ready to go, so as a hail Mary, nylander misses a few games, and then Matthews misses a few games after that. That way, when they lose in the first round, it's more forgivable because their two best players weren't available to them. Voila, they bought themselves one more year with their buddies as management is able to justify running it back one last time.

Not that I actually believe this, but I'm sure it will make a few of you think...
It's funny you write this. Not the conspiracy part, but I was thinking similar when the B's went up 3-1, so before the AM injury.

Imagine the PR gymnastics they could pull. "Marner was hurt late in the season, Willie was hurt early in the series, Auston hurt late. We're going to run it back with all of these guys healthy."

But I think that ship has sailed. MLSE is a business. They want results and, coincidentally, revenue. I think a series loss of any sort will result in a big shakeup. JT still has another year, and no one is trading for that contract. Marner and Willie would have to waive, but I think one of them could be persuaded.

I think Keefe and Shanahan will both be gone if the get bounced again in Round 1, if nothing else.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Sure, if you say so, but the hard truth is that if he is biased, there's every reason to believe that it's in favor of Sheldon Keefe and not against him...
And that is perfectly fine to have that point of view. It still leads to a huge conflict of interest, He should not be reffing a game that involves the Leafs.

Reactions: Suntouchable13

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA

Then stop mailing games during the season and win a division.

The East went exactly as it would have in the 1-8, 2-7 format that people keep pining for.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Someone mentioned that Matthews was on camera saying he couldn't skate to a trainer. Could something like kidney stones cause that. Those can cause hematuria I think?
As someone who has had kidney stones, it it brutal and indeed can cause blood in the urine. It’s Excruciating but once it’s out you feel like it never happened in an hour or so. It’s a pretty quick recovery.

He probably had a few things going on.

Reactions: Jmo89
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Denmark vs Great Britain
    Denmark vs Great Britain
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Kazakhstan vs Germany