GDT: Game #6: Columbus Blue Jackets @ YOUR MN WILD- Tuesday, 1/29/13 @ 7:00 pm CST

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
We have already paired him up with a bunch of guys. He isn't helping his case.

Why is it that guys like Tarasenko can come over and have no problems transitioning but when we get a guy like Granlund, he looks terrible?

Maybe because Vlad Tarasenko is 6'0" 190 lbs and is on a stacked team on a third line where the top two lines can demolish opposing defenses, allowing him and his line to come in and clean up every once in a while?

Whereas Granlund is 5'9" 170, has average linemates and is centering and being relied upon to produce the offense for the second line?

Tarasenko also plays on the wing, while MiG is a center. MiG is going to be more responsible for defense than VT ever has or will be. It's a product of their teams.

They are in completely different situations. Stop being such a pessimist. MiG should be sent down, not traded away.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
He has no business playing a top-4 role(20 minutes tonight, and he had a 5 minute major), but Yeo realized he couldn't play him with Falk again. If we ever get a healthy 6 D he'll be fine in that #6 role alongside Brodin/Spurgeon/Gilbert.

Are you suggesting Brodin would be demoted to 3rd pairing minutes?

RussosBurner

Jun 19, 2012
State of Hockey

Why is it that guys like Tarasenko can come over and have no problems transitioning but when we get a guy like Granlund, he looks terrible?

We're not trading Granlund. It's been 6 games and he's a rookie. Cool the jets.

Tarasenko is also playing on a defensively dominant team that has been together for a hell of a lot longer than Minnesota has been. I still take Granlund over Tarasenko any day. Give it time. He has to develop you can't expect brilliance right away. He had no training camp with his linemates and he is a rookie. There is a learning curve.

CHILL.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
A bunch of guys equals 3? Sorry, Cullen is not a top 6 player and should never have been on his wing to begin with. Seto can't win a battle on the boards and can pass for crap...turnover machine when he tries passing... Bouchard has been the only linemate with a pulse thus far, and they played well in the second period...

Sorry, I think Setoguchi has been the weakest link on the roster thus far as at least Cullen plays well on the third line.

I've been critical of Setoguchi. But the fact is Granlund just isn't working out on this roster. It's a two way road. Setoguchi actually looked a bit better. Maybe demote Granlund to fourth line and see what happens? But the fact is some of the stuff Granlund is having issues with, isn't just his teammates. We got to stop making excuses. Yes, it's only 6 games but he shouldn't have been made to be a top 6 center immediately.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011

Because KHL > SM-Liiga. By a lot.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
I've been critical of Setoguchi. But the fact is Granlund just isn't working out on this roster. It's a two way road. Setoguchi actually looked a bit better. Maybe demote Granlund to fourth line and see what happens? But the fact is some of the stuff Granlund is having issues with, isn't just his teammates. We got to stop making excuses. Yes, it's only 6 games but he shouldn't have been made to be a top 6 center immediately.

Imo next step should be switching Granlund to wing beside Brodziak and if he still looks bad send him down to Houston.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
I think the Hawks are gonna come in complacent tomorrow. We gotta pounce.

tumblr_m6qb3y0o2s1qdlh1io1_400.gif

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Too damn early, my friend. Too damn early. Right now, there are A LOT of players who look like they aren't working out on this roster. :laugh:

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Imo next step should be switching Granlund to wing beside Brodziak and if he still looks bad send him down to Houston.

I would be all for bumping Brodziak up to 2nd line center, drop Granlund down to third line wing and bring up Setoguchi as a 2nd line winger for now.

Bouchard - Brodziak - Setoguchi
Cullen - Powe - Granlund

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
A bunch of guys equals 3? Sorry, Cullen is not a top 6 player and should never have been on his wing to begin with. Seto can't win a battle on the boards and can pass for crap...turnover machine when he tries passing... Bouchard has been the only linemate with a pulse thus far, and they played well in the second period...

Sorry, I think Setoguchi has been the weakest link on the roster thus far as at least Cullen plays well on the third line.
Exactly. Cullen could be a great 3rd liner. But top 6? No! Not anymore.

State of Hockey

Oct 9, 2006
Stoner had his 3rd consecutive bad game though...Gilbert bailed him out though luckily.
Stoner was terrible.

The other ones? Meh, if you want to start breaking down every goal as legit vs. soft/lucky so be it.
Toss it away if you like, but it determines the best teams. A 3-2 win where you dominate and the other team gets a couple lucky ones to stay in it doesn't concern you long-term. Stuff happens.

When you play an up-and-down game against a bad team in your barn and need a couple fantastic breaks to win? That's different. You won't get those every time and will lose the game playing that way.

I like the Bouchard point though, "no goals for lines 2-4 until lines 2-4 scored a goal".
If the 2-4 lines would have done something earlier, there would have been no need for heroics.

Because Tarasenko is showing who deserved to be considered the elite prospect. His overall skill level is much higher than Granlund. Granlund has certain elite skills, but he's missing some tools for a complete set. Those missing pieces are hindering the whole job.

ewoksonhoth

Lolorado
Jul 4, 2012
One Great City!
Granlund just needs more time. There just wasn't any to get him situated this year. I don't like what a demotion to the AHL could do to his confidence, but it's looking like it could be needed if he can't start having an impact. The question is if that becomes necessary, who gets called up?

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Granlund just needs more time. There just wasn't any to get him situated this year. I don't like what a demotion to the AHL could do to his confidence, but it's looking like it could be needed if he can't start having an impact. The question is if that becomes necessary, who gets called up?

Zucker gets called up.

The biggest thing is worrying about Granlund is his build and the fact that he's NOT MOVING HIS DAMN FEET. We need him to be a waterbug but he's a statue.

saywut

Jun 11, 2009

Tarasenko's in a better position, having more talented players around him so he doesn't have to do as much. Hitchcock's an experienced coach and pretty much their whole team played for him last year, healthy team last year too. Guys have good chemistry and he's a winger on their 3rd line. We've got a ton of roster turnover, no chemistry, and Granlund's a center on the 2nd line.

Seto's certainly struggled but what can we do with him? Sell low? We could see if the chemistry's still there with Bouchard and Cullen. Certainly worth a try at this point, Bouchard scored on a 4th line shift so its not like he's clicked in either spots he's been in. Moves Granlund to the 3rd and puts us in a situation where we'll want to be playing top-line against top-line though. Yeo doesn't seem to want that, or breaking up the 1st line, which really limits what he can do with Granlund.

Are you suggesting Brodin would be demoted to 3rd pairing minutes?

Its certainly a possibility. Spurgeon and Gilbert are both going to get ice time too. Its a good situation knowing that if he's struggling you can shelter him, assuming we can get a healthy 6. If we're not playing him on the bottom pair then Spurgeon's likely there, and considering Yeo penciled him in as Suter's partner I'm not sure that's where he wants him.

Wildfan10*

We NEED a good effort tomorrow. If they don't show up once again then we're going to be in big trouble.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Toss it away if you like, but it determines the best teams. A 3-2 win where you dominate and the other team gets a couple lucky ones to stay in it doesn't concern you long-term. Stuff happens.

When you play an up-and-down game against a bad team in your barn and need a couple fantastic breaks to win? That's different. You won't get those every time and will lose the game playing that way.

If the 2-4 lines would have done something earlier, there would have been no need for heroics

The funny thing is, we were dominating and Columbus was riding a very hot Mason into keeping it close. It's almost like we weren't outshooting them 23-8 through 40 minutes. Yeah, the 3rd could've and should've been better, but Columbus built that period on 4 powerplays.

Lines 2-4 were doing things earlier, just not finishing. Cullen and Setoguchi x2 amongst others.

I honestly can't remember Backstrom making even one "great" save the entire game. Mason made 4 or 5.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad