GDT: Game 6 | Columbus at Winnipeg | 10/17 8PM

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
While a 5-1 start is nothing to sneeze at, I'm waiting for Thursday's game against TB before making SC reservations. So far the W's have come against Isles, Rangers, Carolina, Wild & Jets. Not an overly impressive array of teams. Just sayin'
At the same time though no losses to teams in division giving up points that hurt most and no losses against teams we should habe beat. So while not impressive nothing to stress about yet either.

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
While a 5-1 start is nothing to sneeze at, I'm waiting for Thursday's game against TB before making SC reservations. So far the W's have come against Isles, Rangers, Carolina, Wild & Jets. Not an overly impressive array of teams. Just sayin'
I for one am excited about the times we live in as CBJ fans. There is no shame in losing to good teams, as long as we beat a majority of the bad teams I will be ok. For too long this team has historically been the opposite.
That being said, it's nice beating good teams too.

Reactions: Viqsi

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I feel comfortable in saying that by the time the season is over, the Jackets will have beaten some good teams. They'll have lost same games to bad teams, too, I predict. I realize these are on-a-limb type of predictions, but that's how I roll.

Last edited:
Reactions: Viqsi

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
I feel comfortable in saying that by the time the season is over, the Jackets will have beaten some good teams. They'll have lost same games to bad teams, too, I predict. I realize these are on-a-limb type of predictions, but that's how I roll.
Sorry man, hype train has already left the station and we all are on board. Logical conclusion doesn't have a stop on this route.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
What's your over/under for Panarin scoring some goals?

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
I think Winnipeg is really interesting/confusing. Conventional wisdom says Scheifele is a solid #1 C a tier above guys like Wennberg. Little is a strong 2C who can handle top line duty. Ehlers and Laine are already stars with really high ceilings. Trouba and Byfuglien are seen a strong top pair defensemen. Morrissey is recognized as a really good defenseman. Enstrom and Myers are clearly serviceable players. They look like a really talented team. Toronto and Columbus just dominated them. They have looked so good on paper for several years, yet they have not been successful by any measure. In a vacuum, I would think they have a stronger roster that the Jackets and many other teams.

I understand their goaltending has been a problem for several years. It can't be only goaltending. Their skaters seem to be getting outplayed too. What's going on there?

Reactions: thetracksuit

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
I think Winnipeg is really interesting/confusing. Conventional wisdom says Scheifele is a solid #1 C a tier above guys like Wennberg. Little is a strong 2C who can handle top line duty. Ehlers and Laine are already stars with really high ceilings. Trouba and Byfuglien are seen a strong top pair defensemen. Morrissey is recognized as a really good defenseman. Enstrom and Myers are clearly serviceable players. They look like a really talented team. Toronto and Columbus just dominated them. They have looked so good on paper for several years, yet they have not been successful by any measure. In a vacuum, I would think they have a stronger roster that the Jackets and many other teams.

I understand their goaltending has been a problem for several years. It can't be only goaltending. Their skaters seem to be getting outplayed too. What's going on there?

Bad coaching+the individual pieces not being quite as good as advertised. However, they're not as bad as their record. If there's a team that needs change for the sake of change, the Thrashjets are it.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Bad coaching+the individual pieces not being quite as good as advertised. However, they're not as bad as their record. If there's a team that needs change for the sake of change, the Thrashjets are it.
I'd add to that unreliable goaltending. They don't seem to really trust Hellebuyck and they shouldn't trust Mason.

If teams feel like they can throw a goalie under the bus and come out fine (a la Bobrovsky), then that really opens up the system.

Grouchy

Nov 2, 2006
Canal Winchester, OH
I thought Mason made some spectacular stops. Probably wants the goal Foligno scored back but the Jackets were clicking and it seemed like the players in front of him were ineffective and not much he could do. No sympathy though. Glad we got Bob. Done.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
I don't watch Winnipeg much, but listen to the NHL channel on Sirius. All they do is focus on all the Canadian teams, talk about Pittsburgh, then spend a couple minutes on the couple other USA teams in the league. I get the impression that Paul Maurice lost that room last year. Everybody thought he and Kevy Chevy were both lame ducks this season, but they got extended. I think it's a coaching issue ( plus goaltending as others mentioned).

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
This, pretty much. I'd put in my season predictions for this year that the Jets are out of the playoffs unless they replace Maurice.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
This, pretty much. I'd put in my season predictions for this year that the Jets are out of the playoffs unless they replace Maurice.

You know in going back and reviewing a few of their games, one thing that stands out it the Jets most of their big names as well as the rest of the team is huge, but not fast. Maybe they aren't built for the current NHL style of play?

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio
I don't watch Winnipeg much, but listen to the NHL channel on Sirius. All they do is focus on all the Canadian teams, talk about Pittsburgh, then spend a couple minutes on the couple other USA teams in the league. .
. I have XM too. I think they do pretty good coverage for cbj. They usually interview a Columbus rep on game day. They just had Rimmer on. I know they've had Jody, Jarmo and JD on. Haven't heard AP recently. They seem pretty excited for Columbus to me anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad