GDT: Game 59: Red Wings vs caps 7:00 pm et 2/27/24 (ESPN+, BSD)

The Real Pastafarian

Registered dipshit
Apr 4, 2020
Ohio (OH? IO.)
"With tonight's opposing coaches being named Derek Lalonde for the Wings, and Spencer Carbery for the Capitals, one's thought might naturally turn to Sir Derek Spencer, who until 1997 was a barrister and member of Parliament, as well as a Master of the Bench, Gray's Inn - a society for barristers with at least 500 years of tradition in London, the capital of England and the UK. 500 is also the rough number of highway miles between Detroit and Washington D.C., and it's an even longer journey to get from the NHL to Parliament. Tonight fans of the Winged Wheel are going be hoping that tonight's coach Derek is a better Master of the Bench than was last century's Sir Derek."

- Plausible Keats

holy shit

inscrutable in its obscurity, the analogies so strained you can hear them whine like Titanic's hull when it went to 45 degrees.

I think you've done it, you've reached Peak Keats

The Real Pastafarian

Registered dipshit
Apr 4, 2020
Ohio (OH? IO.)
tonight's first cocktail: 151 Swizzle (Mai-Kai variation):

0.9 oz lime juice
0.4 oz cinnamon syrup
0.25 oz grenadine
0.13 oz falernum
1 oz mighty Lemon Hart 151
1 oz Appleton Reserve
2 dashes aromatic bitters
4 drops absinthe

shake all with cubed and strain into a tall chilled glass filled with freshly crushed ice; swizzle, add more crushed ice; garnish with smoldering cinnamon stick.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Lyon back in net! Let's get back to work boys!
Liking these lines. The team seems tighter and more refined. We're rolling 4 lines finally.

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
holy shit

inscrutable in its obscurity, the analogies so strained you can hear them whine like Titanic's hull when it went to 45 degrees.

I think you've done it, you've reached Peak Keats
Thanks! I saw the names and thought "surely there must be someone interesting named Derek Spencer out there." There's a current musician that I kinda want to check out - looks like he's a fiddler or bluegrass guy. And the MP guy. MPs are at the capital. He's a "bencher". There are benches in hockey near the coaches. Writes itself, pretty much. Plus I learned a teensy bit about barristry - apparently there are 4 such "Inns" that you have to be a member of. I guess that's like the Bar here in Yankland?

Now that I think about it - is "the Bar" here related or derivative of our ancestral cousins' "Barristry"? We got any lawyers here?

Better learning through hokkeeball!

Last edited:

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
Now that I think about it - is "the Bar" here related or derivative of out ancestral cousins' "Barristry"? We got any lawyers here?
The use of the term bar to mean "the whole body of lawyers, the legal profession" comes ultimately from English custom. In the early 16th century, a railing divided the hall in the Inns of Court, with students occupying the body of the hall and readers or benchers on the other side. Students who officially became lawyers crossed the symbolic physical barrier and were "admitted to the bar".[2] Later, this was popularly assumed to mean the wooden railing marking off the area around the judge's seat in a courtroom, where prisoners stood for arraignment and where a barrister stood to plead. In modern courtrooms, a railing may still be in place to enclose the space which is occupied by legal counsel as well as the criminal defendants and civil litigants who have business pending before the court.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Have I mentioned lately that I hate the ESPN+ app with the fire of a thousand suns?

I have to log in every friggin time like it's the first time I've used it.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Some really good play along the boards and down low from Rasmussen that shift, I've enjoyed him playing with Compher and Raymond.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad