GDT: GAME 58: HABS @ DEVILS | Seasonal doldrums | Sat. Feb. 24, 2024, 2PM ET -- TSN2, RDS, TSN690, 98.5FM

Will the Habs win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Another afternoon game. At least, our overseas fan, @Walrus26 will be happy. He won't have to pull an all nighter for this one.

Habs on a 4-game losing skid.

Despite out-shooting the Pens on Thursday, they ended up on the bitter end of a 4-1 score.

It was so bad that some of our posters bailed on the game early while several called it a boring affair.

Meantime @sampollock has been leading the charge for Kent Hughes to make a deal.

Unfortunately, all Hughes had in store for us was a successful waiver wire claim on one of his ex-clients, Colin White. The move looked like a means to send Brandon Gignac packing to Laval, and predictably the latter cleared waivers.

How thin is the Habs' centre contingent for them to claim Colin White?

avvvWg6.gif

Well Kent, you're going to have to do a little better than Moar Deppp to keep this crowd happy in a season where we're once again looking forward to an early draft pick. It's been mostly an eyesore despite some positive elements.

uM8cim6.gif

One of those bright spots on the D has been Mike "Billy" Matheson, who got the lone Habs goal vs. the Pens on Thursday.

Yes, he's frustrating defensively and part of that is probably due to MSL overplaying him but he has been putting up gaudy offensive numbers considering he's doing it on an bottom feeder with a limited supporting staff.

DtTqeUF.png

We're going to need Hughes to pull some magic and he has barely two weeks to do it in and if not, it'll carry over to the summer.

Qm8FSpW.png

Perhaps we will be getting the Tank Commander himself named the starting goalie in this one. Or perhaps ... Hughes can pawn him off to the Devils and just like Colin White did on Thursday, Jake Allen will just have to skate across the ice to join his new team. One can only dream.

DFenY9b.png

Finally, is there a more hated contract on this team than Brendan Gallagher's?

The guy is literally self-destructing from game to game, unable to keep the pace, so much so that MSL has been limiting his minutes and even then, he continues to draw brain dead penalties. Has not produced any points in his last 11 games.

@Non Player Canadiens had it right when back in Nov. 2022, he quipped "lolz Gally with the athleticism of a broken animatronics at Chuck E Cheeses."

5LyZVzr.png

Well Gallagher, we appreciate your past services however we're fed up. We have an on ice ceremony ready for you, as soon as you decide you just want to keep collecting on your juicy contract and become LTIRed. The sooner, the better.

m8QYRfS.gif

LINEUPS

d4M6A1K.gif

Last edited:

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
If our first line isn't contributing there isn't a reason to watch. Anderson, Gallagher,Armia and company should feel shame for their lack of effort in games because we have been carried by the young players on the roster.
I still have some, yes some hope Armia just may get picked up at the deadline.
I still have some hope Gally blocks a shot and takes it off the ankle......
I still have hope poor Andy grows a brain, and gets scoring again....

Hey, I guy can hope eh............

GDT Runner, once again, you treat us to some humor and a dose of hard reality. Always fantastic job! Our board is lucky to have you around!!

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
I enjoyed our games so much more when useless Gallagher wasn't playing. We can all see that he's done, management needs to stop their ridiculous loyalty to him and cut him loose. He's hurting the team!
Actually he is helping us right now as we have lost every game since his return from suspension :laugh:

Ok ok jokes aside, this better be his final season in Montreal, I don't care if we have to buy him out, I don't want to see him around this team anymore and to be quite honest, I don't think the players like him that much either.

That said, Go Devils!!

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Another afternoon game. At least, our overseas fan, @Walrus26 will be happy. He won't have to pull an all nighter for this one.

Despite out-shooting the Pens on Thursday, they ended up on the bitter end of a 4-1 score.

It was so bad that some of our posters bailed on the game early while several called it a boring affair.

Meantime @sampollock has been leading the charge for Kent Hughes to make a deal.

Unfortunately, all Hughes had in store for us was a successful waiver wire claim on one of his ex-clients, Colin White. The move looked like a means to send Brandon Gignac packing to Laval, and predictably the latter cleared waivers.

avvvWg6.gif

Well Kent, you're going to have to do a little better than Moar Deppp to keep this crowd happy in a season where we're once again looking forward to an early draft pick. It's been mostly an eyesore despite some positive elements.

uM8cim6.gif

One of those bright spots on the D has been Mike "Billy" Matheson, who got the lone Habs goal vs. the Pens on Thursday.

Yes, he's frustrating defensively and part of that is probably due to MSL overplaying him but he has been putting up gaudy offensive numbers considering he's doing it on an bottom feeder with a limited supporting staff.

DtTqeUF.png

We're going to need Hughes to pull some magic and he has barely two weeks to do it in and if not, it'll carry over to the summer.

Qm8FSpW.png

Perhaps we will be getting the Tank Commander himself named the starting goalie in this one. Or perhaps ... Hughes can pawn him off to the Devils and just like Colin White did on Thursday, Jake Allen will just have to skate across the ice to join his new team. One can only dream.

DFenY9b.png

The guy is literally self-destructing from game to game, unable to keep the pace, so much so that MSL has been limiting his minutes and even then, he continues to draw brain dead penalties. Has not produced any points in his last 11 games.

@Non Player Canadiens had it right when back in Nov. 2022, he quipped "lolz Gally with the athleticism of a broken animatronics at Chuck E Cheeses."

5LyZVzr.png

Well Gallagher, we appreciate your past services however we're fed up. We have an on ice ceremony ready for you, as soon as you decide you just want to keep collecting on your juicy contract and become LTIRed. The sooner, the better.

m8QYRfS.gif

LINEUPS TBA

d4M6A1K.gif
"lolz Gally with the athleticism of a broken animatronics at Chuck E Cheeses."

Damn that's funny

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
On Matheson getting the 'space goat' special, I don't get why, he never was a #1 D, heck I thought we got a #4 at best when we got him for Petry, so far he's better than Petry ever was, without being properly surrounded. Yeah, he makes mistakes, but so what ? He's an offensive D, we finally have one, he produces, he's fun to watch when he flies up the ice, he's 10th in the scoring race as far as dmen are concerned this season, on a team that can't score.

They ALL make mistakes on the ice, just looking at that roster should ring a bell. Youngsters will get better with time, but we sure ain't there yet.

I just don't understand why he's so vilified, he's exactly as advertised, even better cause he's producing like he never did before.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
On Matheson getting the 'space goat' special, I don't get why, he never was a #1 D, heck I thought we got a #4 at best when we got him for Petry, so far he's better than Petry ever was, without being properly surrounded. Yeah, he makes mistakes, but so what ? He's an offensive D, we finally have one, he produces, he's fun to watch when he flies up the ice, he's 10th in the scoring race as far as dmen are concerned this season, on a team that can't score.

They ALL make mistakes on the ice, just looking at that roster should ring a bell. Youngsters will get better with time, but we sure ain't there yet.

I just don't understand why he's so vilified, he's exactly as advertised, even better cause he's producing like he never did before.
Mostly agree with you. Matheson is a great skater and puck-moving D. Unfortunately, he'll often end up moving the puck the wrong way. His regular brainfarts drive people crazy, but that's the consequence of playing him as a #1D when he should be a 2nd-pair. I'd be happy keeping the guy and bumping him down the rotation once Guhle and Reinbacher are ready.

That said, Matheson was nowhere close to Jeff Petry in his prime. Petry had it all and was one of the league's top RHD. His only weakness was motivation – Petry stopped caring when used less and when the games were meaningless.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

How many times this season has an ailing anemic PP come up against our PK and looked brilliant....

Plenty that's how many.

If our first line isn't contributing there isn't a reason to watch. Anderson, Gallagher,Armia and company should feel shame for their lack of effort in games because we have been carried by the young players on the roster.
This is either a ten points for that first line type of game or a complete bust.
Our current record and afternoon game prowess points to it being the latter.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I still have some, yes some hope Armia just may get picked up at the deadline.
I still have some hope Gally blocks a shot and takes it off the ankle......
I still have hope poor Andy grows a brain, and gets scoring again....

Hey, I guy can hope eh............

GDT Runner, once again, you treat us to some humor and a dose of hard reality. Always fantastic job! Our board is lucky to have you around!!
You know I'm disappointed Gally doesn't have nearly enough deflected goals this season. Something he's been touted for in the past.
The coaching staff should suggest he put some work in to better those results...

I've got the perfect shooter in mind. :sarcasm:

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015

avvvWg6.gif

uM8cim6.gif

DtTqeUF.png

Qm8FSpW.png

DFenY9b.png

5LyZVzr.png

m8QYRfS.gif

LINEUPS TBA

d4M6A1K.gif
Cheers for the gdt waaaaaat 2pm!!!

I like Matheson. I like talented players and can live with the wtf moments.

Hoping for intermittent snoozing in between 1st line shifts, I feel rather relaxed.

• Haha
Reactions: Runner77

Pazucha

Apr 3, 2023
This will be an interesting match both teams need to win (Habs just to not extend the losing streak)

After their last match I feel like the devils fans completely lost it and want the head coach fired (this time for real).

If the Habs manage to win this match it could be the end for Lindy Ruff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad