Post-Game Talk: GAME #57: Canucks 0 @ Penguins 4 Bo-less and Bae-less

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
How was Guentzel? Penguins fans are raving about him. God damn it makes me mad seeing the Penguins have players like Sheary, Rust and now Guentzel becoming forces for them WHILE winning a Cup and we have...?

I can see why his teammates like playing with him. He's a smart hockey player. Hands could use a bit of work. I wonder what his fancy stats are like.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Yeah I thought gaunce played a really smart game and had lots of confidence as well. Total agreement with MS on Hansen. Thought he stood out in every zone, really good effort through to the neutral zone but once he hit the blue line...I don't know. I thought there were times he could use his teammates a bit more effectively.

Yeah, Hansen had one of those games where he passed when he should have shot and shot when he should have passed. His hockey sense has actually come a long way but he looked like 2009 Hansen tonight. Might have been partially a factor of playing wth an unfamiliar center ... he and Gaunce were effective together on the forecheck but not quite on the same page in offensive situations.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Brilliant move by Benning and WD to send him to the AHL. He totally reinvented his game.

Maybe because that bum Green put him in every offensive situation possible instead of burying him with slugs that he also has to protect defensively. WD is oh so NOT.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
orcatown and I are never going to agree on Gaunce. I like his worst games more than he likes his best games.

Dunno how you can't be happy with what Chaput provided tonight, though. He was given a defender and a waiver claim who has hardly played in months, and played 12 minutes (without last change) in what was an onslaught for the rest of the team and they held their own and didn't get scored on. To be complementary of Boucher for a couple offensive blips but to ignore the huge defensive heavy lifting Chaput did for that line tonight just isn't being aware of the bigger picture IMO. Chaput is never going to be eye-catching but he's fundamentally excellent, works his tail off, and does all the little things well. He's been a good find this season and I have no issue giving him a one-way deal next year as a 12th/13th forward.

I'm not a Chaput fan, but I don't think his effort and execution in this game can be faulted. Talent will always be the question mark with him.

Gaunce has more potential than Chaput, while being of the same mould. Really, this sorry team could use both players. Their bottom6 depth has to be ranked near the worst in the league.

Boucher, I'd like to see more of. I can see why orcatown likens him to Eberle. Both are smaller 1way forwards there to provide offense. Obviously Boucher is nowhere near as good, but there's time to see what he can do.

These are the types that should be getting chances over the likes of Megna, Skille, Dorsett etc...

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
Boucher, I'd like to see more of. I can see why orcatown likens him to Eberle. Both are smaller 1way forwards there to provide offense. Obviously Boucher is nowhere near as good, but there's time to see what he can do.

These are the types that should be getting chances over the likes of Megna, Skille, Dorsett etc...

The real life Eberle has a hard time finding a spot on a cup contender. Poor man's Eberle might as well mean Krog. We've been reduced to fighting over muffin bottoms.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
The real life Eberle has a hard time finding a spot on a cup contender. Poor man's Eberle might as well mean Krog. We've been reduced to fighting over muffin bottoms.

All they should be trying to do with Boucher is improve the asset just enough that it's a cheap scoring option for them, or a trade chip. There are no illusions here that Boucher will be a core player/integral to the team/worth 6m in salary.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
orcatown and I are never going to agree on Gaunce. I like his worst games more than he likes his best games.

Dunno how you can't be happy with what Chaput provided tonight, though. He was given a defender and a waiver claim who has hardly played in months, and played 12 minutes (without last change) in what was an onslaught for the rest of the team and they held their own and didn't get scored on. To be complementary of Boucher for a couple offensive blips but to ignore the huge defensive heavy lifting Chaput did for that line tonight just isn't being aware of the bigger picture IMO. Chaput is never going to be eye-catching but he's fundamentally excellent, works his tail off, and does all the little things well. He's been a good find this season and I have no issue giving him a one-way deal next year as a 12th/13th forward.

Agree 100%.
Kid is a whole lotta effort and passion on the ice. Don't know anything off ice about him, but he looks like a guy that teammates would love.
LOVE his goal celebrations.. (refuse to use the word celly)
Big body, good speed, low on overall skill, but has a motor and effort level that's worth getting on board with.
Definitely want to see him back as a 12th/13th forward next season like MS stated..

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
I only got to listen to the second period on the radio. To come home, log into HFBoards and see that we lost 4 - 0... well, that was what I expected.

Also, that was the final game the Canucks play in an Eastern Conference barn this season. Goodbye Eastern roadtrips!

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
I wouldve kept richardson for sure.

Sedin
Horvat
Sutter
Richardson

lets really hope juolevi is at least lidstrom lite.

that being said, our man tryamkin does have potential to be better than chara and plays better on the right side

juolevi tryamkin in 3-4 years

So Juolevi = Lidstrom lite
And Tryamkin = better than Chara

I need whatever you take daily. My Hundai will be a Porsche in no time.

Scumbag Frank

Hard Time in the Slammer
Apr 13, 2010
Vancouver

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I wouldve kept richardson for sure.

Sedin
Horvat
Sutter
Richardson

lets really hope juolevi is at least lidstrom lite.

that being said, our man tryamkin does have potential to be better than chara and plays better on the right side

juolevi tryamkin in 3-4 years

I really want what you are smoking

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Seems to me that Tryamkin and Stecher are hitting the wall as both are struggling lately. That isn't unexpected for young guys coming from college and Europe. More than anyone else they are likely in need of the days off.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
I only got to listen to the second period on the radio. To come home, log into HFBoards and see that we lost 4 - 0... well, that was what I expected.

Also, that was the final game the Canucks play in an Eastern Conference barn this season. Goodbye Eastern roadtrips!

Awesome avatar Zombo, makes me want to kick ass and chew bubble gum

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
I don't know if there's more pissing and moaning here after a win or after a loss.

We're a bad team even when healthy... I'm not at all surprised that the reigning Stanley Cup champions wiped the floor with this gaggle of old men, placeholders and AHL retreads.

And fine by me too... one more loss to throw on the tank pile. It's going to be a few more years before things get any better again.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Sounds like Gaunce had an effective game. You know hes young and not a ton of experience and at this point cant drive a line so i think if i was the coach id try him on the 2nd line for the rest of the year. Why not what really is the worse that can happen. I mean assuming Burrows and Hansen are traded

Sedin Sedin Eriksson
Bae Bo Gaunce
Skille Sutter W Granlund
Magna Chaput Other Plug

Or something like that cause i know Bae is still injured and Burr and the Badge are still here

hellstick

Nov 2, 2006
Abbotsford
After how they played last night, I don't even think you can call the Sedins 2nd liners at this point. They're so slow. A smart coach would separate them and flank them both with speedy linemates, they just seem to suck the life out of our team by attempting to slow down the pace of play. It doesn't work and the game doesn't work like that anymore.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Seems to me that Tryamkin and Stecher are hitting the wall as both are struggling lately. That isn't unexpected for young guys coming from college and Europe. More than anyone else they are likely in need of the days off.

Not sure I agree with this....Stecher was one of the Canucks best d-men in Buffalo and Tryamkin has been solid since paired with Hutton....last night it was the veterans, Sbisa and Edler who were terrible.

And speaking of veterans, that performance by the Sedins last night leaves a sinking feeling in the pit of your stomach.....it was that bad....just praying this isn't the trend into next season....it's going to be tough to watch.

Willie would be doing both a big favour by finally breaking them up....Henrik has proved before he can play with any wingers; but both Sedins on the same are becoming a defensive black hole.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
And speaking of veterans, that performance by the Sedins last night leaves a sinking feeling in the pit of your stomach.....it was that bad....just praying this isn't the trend into next season....it's going to be tough to watch.

Not to sound like a negative Nel, but they have been slowly trending this way fora few seasons now. I think it's just gotten to a point where they can no longer mask it. Let's get real here, next year is yet another year on their well traveled careers. Anyone would be living in a fantasy world if they were to believe this year won't continue and even take yet another down word turn. Age isn't an athletes best friend. Sedin's are no different. They are close to done.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Well if you're only going to post after a W, these next few months are gonna be sparse

True but if your only goal is to post "HAHAHAHAHHAHAHA TANKERS SUCK!!!!!" you're kinda limited in what games you can post in.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Not sure I agree with this....Stecher was one of the Canucks best d-men in Buffalo and Tryamkin has been solid since paired with Hutton....last night it was the veterans, Sbisa and Edler who were terrible.

Willie would be doing both a big favour by finally breaking them up....Henrik has proved before he can play with any wingers; but both Sedins on the same are becoming a defensive black hole.

Certainly others were also bad but they are both making mistakes that weren't present in their games 20 games ago. It may just be other teams are adjusting through video viewing but their effectiveness has decreased. I'm not taking a shot at them at all btw. I think it's something that is normal and expected..and why you shouldn't have a plan that revolves around veteran performances from raw rookies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad