Post-Game Talk: GAME #57: Canucks 0 @ Penguins 4 Bo-less and Bae-less

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
*Wisers' slow clap*

Yet, lets also not forget the asset bleeding, quick-fix help mistakes, holding on to the past while trying to put a band-aid on this.

"Trade Deficit", it's not just a Trump issue..

Now just need our three stooges to resign before fans and ownership impeach them. Another similarity is having only 'yes men' reporters asking soft questions

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
That was brutal to watch. Absolutely dismantled, and neither the shots nor the score do justice to how lopsided that was. Could have been 8-0 but Miller was terrific in a shooting gallery.

- Sedins look old as hell and were skating in sand. Insipid. Granlund was even worse - slow and ineffective, and absolutely embarrassing in puck battles in his own zone.

- Gaunce was probably our best forward. Threw a bunch of hits, was involved offensively, and played well defensively on what was probably the line that came closest to treading water. Hansen played well but his decision-making with the puck in the offensive zone was off.

- Megna isn't a center and looked like it. Eriksson was a ghost. Skille had oddly brilliant chances on broken plays.

- Chaput might have been our 2nd best forward. Held a ramshackle 4th line together and didn't get scored on.

- Sbisa was just trash. As bad as he's ever been tonight. Just overwhelmed. Feel bad for Tanev getting stuck with him.

- Edler and Stecher weren't much better. Edler looked half-assed and Stecher wasn't much better. Isn't getting shots anymore and has to adjust.

- Tryamkin was solid and skated well. Hutton was scrambly but didn't get burned.

- Miller did his best and kept this game from being embarrassing.

If Horvat is out for any length of time, we might be able to challenge Arizona for 29th place. Awful team.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Sedin Sedin (2nd liners) Granlund (3rd liner)
Burrows (3rd liner) Gaunce (AHL/4th liner) Hansen (fringe 2nd liner)
Eriksson (3rd liner) Chaput (AHL) Megna (AHL)
Biega (D-man) Boucher (Waiver fodder) Skille (4th liner)

Wonder why we lost :sarcasm:

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015

can you sum up our d pairings? I missed the game

Luongos Knob

PDO Kings
Jan 20, 2009

Id say that eriksson is a 2nd liner but holy **** this team is so bad so god damn bad ****ing christ fire the GM already wwwwwwtfff:amazed::amazed::amazed::amazed:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Post game pundits are giving Willie a pass on this game, but doesn't deserve it imo.

This was a classic game where the Sedins could have been split up and Granlund moved to centre on another line. Unlike Megna, he actually spent time playing centre with Calgary and in the AHL with Abbotsford.

Put a couple of speed wingers with Henrik; and play Granlund in the middle with Hansen and Eriksson...how could it be any worse than the lines he came up with?

Instead he does predictable....leaves the Sedins with Granlund, and they were easily the worst line of the night. Henrik Sedin now a -20 on the season, one of the worst plus-minuses in the entire NHL.

But Willie will go his coaching grave throwing the Sedins out there together and giving them a bulk of the time on the pp....he just can't help himself.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Luckily Pittsburg was not at the top of their game and Miller was very good for a couple of periods b/c this could have gotten very nasty. Crosby just outstanding and with any kind of wingers would have zoomed past 1000 points. Put him on out our team and we would have had a chance.

The Good

Miller - our best player. Did what he could for as long as he could. If the Canucks are not assured of re-signing him then he must be traded. Would say it's probably a good idea, given the present state of the team, even if he does want to re-sign.

Burrows - only forward I saw with any level of consistent good play. At least his trade value should be going up.

Stecher - thought he was the best defenseman. Made some good rushes that helped create some offense and, with Hutton, only defenseman getting shots through to the goal. Got tied up in his end a bit but thought the forwards, and especially the centers, were giving him very little to work with.

The Bad

Sedins - by mid-game had nothing left to give. Making only token gestures on defense by the end of the game. Earlier on, were tied up in their end for long stretches. Damn obvious that their time is almost up. Only seem to play well when rested at home. If they can be moved for futures, it should happen. But, of course, this will not get any consideration. We'll play out the string and watch them like others wither away and hold the team back from any real success as they play out their contracts.

It's amazing how you can group these players as one. They seem to play identical game. When good, both good and when bad, both bad.

Chaput - in spite of getting the two goals in Buffalo, I don't think he has played well on the road trip. I don't think he was ever in the play in this one. He has had to bust his butt all season to be minimually decent and now looks gassed

Sbisa - gave up position around his net too easily. Getting into match-ups that are beyond his level.

Others

Gaunce -had some ok moments (but nothing that great) but also lost too many stick battles leading to Pittsburg odd man breaks. Chance for him to get more involved offensively but needs to show he can make the quick transition to defense when asked to be more offensive.

Boucher - does have skill. Gets around the ice well enough and shows quick bursts of speed. Good with his stick and can make the quick, clever plays that create chances. Reminds me some of Eberle. However, you wonder that if, like Eberle, he is nothing more than boutique player that lacks physicality to do much on his own and will be only a streaky scorer in ideal situations. Likely, needs to be the role of finisher IMO and thus must play with someone who can carry the play offensively. I think he would look good playing for a team like Pittsburg

Hansen - hasn't looked that good coming off the injury. Not bad but not showing as much speed and you wonder how the knee is.

Thought Hutton was better in this game.

Team is beginning to disintegrate as the injuries and travel catch up to them. For the sake of the tank would have been better if this had happen earlier. Every win now is only another step away from a better drafting position and has to be seen as such. The real pity here, however, is that our management will likely screw up and position they get anyhow.

Beyond that, the trade deadline has the potential to be another debacle given the seemingly jittery way Benning and Linden are approaching it. They seem as indecisive and confused as ever. Could be they choke and just do nothing.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
That was...really really bad.

No Bo, no Baertschi, no Sutter (whoop-de-do), no depth, AHL players all over the roster...yeah, the result was never in any doubt.

This game should make it obvious even to Benning that the team's nowhere near a contender. Face the obvious, Jimbo. We all have.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Canucks have three games left before the league mandated five-day layoff....Blues (loss); Calgary at home (toss-up); and Philly (possible win or OT win or loss)....and while they're cooling their heels, the Kings and Preds will play three times and the gap will be at least eight points with 21 games remaining....it's ova' folks.

Break couldn't come at a better time....Jimbo has plenty of time to work the phones before the deadline, and he can ill afford a no-show like a year go....we can only pray big changes are on the way.

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
5 Wins in their last 16 games. And people/Media/Management were talking about playoffs and possibly wait and see to where this team is going?

reality needs to kick in that it's over.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
How was Guentzel? Penguins fans are raving about him. God damn it makes me mad seeing the Penguins have players like Sheary, Rust and now Guentzel becoming forces for them WHILE winning a Cup and we have...?

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
How was Guentzel? Penguins fans are raving about him. God damn it makes me mad seeing the Penguins have players like Sheary, Rust and now Guentzel becoming forces for them WHILE winning a Cup and we have...?

He looked really good. Kunitz was definitely holding back that line. Replacing him with Sheary or Rust when they're healthy and watch out.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck

A boring, unlikable bottom feeder spending to the cap, a terrible AHL team, and a very bad prospect pool. Oh, and we're already down two picks in the upcoming draft.

Thanks Lindenning! :thumbu:

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
He looked really good. Kunitz was definitely holding back that line. Replacing him with Sheary or Rust when they're healthy and watch out.

Yeah, kid is ready for the NHL. Apparently he's staying up the rest of the year now. Already has 11 points in a short span of 18 games. Damn. Pens have it so rough.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
A boring, unlikable bottom feeder spending to the cap, a terrible AHL team, and a very bad prospect pool. Oh, and we're already down two picks in the upcoming draft.

Thanks Lindenning! :thumbu:

Actually incredibly despressing. Chicago is another team...Schmaltz, Hinostroza, Kero, Forsling (hey, I know this guy), Hartman all are playing consistently this year in terms of games.

Man...

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
The Canucks without Horvat. If only our current administration used top picks on good hockey players w great work ethics instead of focusing on area codes. Fortunately the 2026 draft is an absolute monster.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
- Gaunce was probably our best forward. Threw a bunch of hits, was involved offensively, and played well defensively on what was probably the line that came closest to treading water. Hansen played well but his decision-making with the puck in the offensive zone was off.

- Chaput might have been our 2nd best forward. Held a ramshackle 4th line together and didn't get scored on.

Chaput - in spite of getting the two goals in Buffalo, I don't think he has played well on the road trip. I don't think he was ever in the play in this one. He has had to bust his butt all season to be minimually decent and now looks gassed

Gaunce -had some ok moments (but nothing that great) but also lost too many stick battles leading to Pittsburg odd man breaks. Chance for him to get more involved offensively but needs to show he can make the quick transition to defense when asked to be more offensive.

No two posters see the same game it seems... IMO, MS is on point here. Gaunce showed well. Chaput was the only thing the 4th line had to rely on.

Interesting to see two disparate takes though.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
No two posters see the same game it seems... IMO, MS is on point here. Gaunce showed well. Chaput was the only thing the 4th line had to rely on.

Well c'mon, seriously. How closely did any Canucks fan really watch this game after realizing Horvat was out? I made it to the end of the first before I started fast-forwarding. It's not even in the so-bad-it's-good category. The team isn't even in the Plan 9 from Outer Space level of bad where you still get some entertainment out of it. They're...remake of The Wicker Man with Nicholas Cage bad. Not fun, not interesting, you're just waiting for it to end looking at your phone or flipping through the listings channel on tv before you finally give in and just turn it off kind of bad. And the studio spent all the money they ever had making it so they're not going to be doing anything else of note until the next budget comes in.

That's how bad they are.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

orcatown and I are never going to agree on Gaunce. I like his worst games more than he likes his best games.

Dunno how you can't be happy with what Chaput provided tonight, though. He was given a defender and a waiver claim who has hardly played in months, and played 12 minutes (without last change) in what was an onslaught for the rest of the team and they held their own and didn't get scored on. To be complementary of Boucher for a couple offensive blips but to ignore the huge defensive heavy lifting Chaput did for that line tonight just isn't being aware of the bigger picture IMO. Chaput is never going to be eye-catching but he's fundamentally excellent, works his tail off, and does all the little things well. He's been a good find this season and I have no issue giving him a one-way deal next year as a 12th/13th forward.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Well c'mon, seriously. How closely did any Canucks fan really watch this game after realizing Horvat was out? I made it to the end of the first before I started fast-forwarding. It's not even in the so-bad-it's-good category. The team isn't even in the Plan 9 from Outer Space level of bad where you still get some entertainment out of it. They're...remake of The Wicker Man with Nicholas Cage bad. Not fun, not interesting, you're just waiting for it to end looking at your phone or flipping through the listings channel on tv before you finally give in and just turn it off kind of bad. And the studio spent all the money they ever had making it so they're not going to be doing anything else of note until the next budget comes in.

That's how bad they are.

Yeah I was going to say. Regardless of their differing views I'm impressed that orcatown and MS were able to pay close enough attention to be arguing about how well Magnus Chaput played.

I haven't paid that close of attention to a game in probably a month.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Yeah I thought gaunce played a really smart game and had lots of confidence as well. Total agreement with MS on Hansen. Thought he stood out in every zone, really good effort through to the neutral zone but once he hit the blue line...I don't know. I thought there were times he could use his teammates a bit more effectively.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Yeah I was going to say. Regardless of their differing views I'm impressed that orcatown and MS were able to pay close enough attention to be arguing about how well Magnus Chaput played.

I haven't paid that close of attention to a game in probably a month.

Was interested to see how Gaunce performed in a bigger role so watched this game more closely than I have others recently.

Also my gf is a paramedic working a night shift tonight and all my friends are obviously busy, so this was a *really* boring night for me. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad