GDT: Game 54: New York Rangers vs Montreal Canadiens, 7pm ET, MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unpredictable1

Jan 27, 2008
Alberta
Glad this is at home.

Can't stand their dark ass arena.

Montreal has never been dim to me, not sure if it's visiting cameras? (over the years HNIC game in Montreal and you got to turn your TV brightness down, very vibrant)

MSG has always looked like it was lit with candles to me and several of my buddies growing up. But truthfully I always liked the MSG games for its classic film look to it. lol

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Montreal has never been dim to me, not sure if it's visiting cameras? (over the years HNIC game in Montreal and you got to turn your TV brightness down, very vibrant)

MSG has always looked like it was lit with candles to me and several of my buddies growing up. But truthfully I always liked the MSG games for its classic film look to it. lol
My issue with the MSG broadcast (aside from Giannone who feels like he's always trying just a little too hard- when he interviews Mika it's a battle for the most somber tone) is how they turn down the crowd noise compared to most other broadcasts. I used to think it was mostly the highbrow fans filling the arena not being loud, but watching other teams' feeds you hear the crowd isn't quite that bad.

The lighting in Montreal is fine in person. Broadcasts always look weird.

Their high pitched fart of a goal horn sucks both on tv and in person though.

Aside from it being the shitty Habs, I actually like their (train) goal horn, which is second to ours (Fire Engine). I just wished they still used an actual Fire Engine horn for ours instead of the recording of one.

Broadcast quality and goal horns, now this is a GDT!

Next up- GOAL SONGS

Last edited:
Reactions: Unpredictable1

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

I don't know, maybe "dark" isn't the right word but I never liked the presentation on tv.

I was at MSG for a Knicks game a couple of weeks ago, and yeah, the place is a dungeon in person, but I always liked how the field of play looked on tv.

Reactions: Unpredictable1

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
I don't know, maybe "dark" isn't the right word but I never liked the presentation on tv.

I was at MSG for a Knicks game a couple of weeks ago, and yeah, the place is a dungeon in person, but I always liked how the field of play looked on tv.
This requires research!

Side by side of Habs (left) compared to Rangers (right):

Capture.JPG
Aside from the Habs feed being more zoomed in (closer to ice level) which I don't love, they also have the ice surface a bit lighter like you said.

Last edited:

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Anyone remember me stating I think we'll sweep that western 5 game road trip? True that prediction was 2 games in, but still.
Looked at the upcoming schedule, and the thought occured to me that this month can be what you just said. Had our PP been going, we'd be winning these last 5, by 3 and 4 goal margins. Anyway, tonight will be tough, but I'm sure they wanna rid themselves of that Montreal thorn, so then it becomes 6. Islander game, they'll surely be UP for, that'll be 7. Now, not saying it'll be an Edmonton type winning streak (but, ya' never know}. Don't wanna peak too early but, we need to fully right the ship that has been sailing sideways for a while now. Full steam ahead. Maybe we'll only lose 2, hopefully 1 by February's end. That'll seperate us from Carolina and, ummmmm......haha, Philly and the Debbies. You heard it here first.
Even if they run off 7 straight and/or have a great Feb I don't think the Rangers and staff will be content with their game. They won't be peaking too early.

As you mentioned the PP hasn't been firing, Igor is just coming around (hopefully), there have been defensive lapses and lack of killer instinct at times (see Chicago), they have generated TONS of high danger chances with not a lot to show for it, although they've gotten timely goals and wins.

The schedule this month has been relatively weak (other than 3 or 4 matchups) and they should be winning a lot of these games. They are a talented group but it doesnt seem like everything has been clicking on all cylinders, consistently.

I think they know theres another level or two, honestly. Especially their killer instinct. Its the same mentality that is bred out of Mika refusing to shoot the f***ing puck. They like to let teams hang around and they play soft at times.

That needs to change down the stretch if they are serious about challenging for a Cup. Cant decide to turn that on for Game 1. You need to build those habits in March & April. Thats why a lot of teams fighting for wild card positions upset the higher seeds. They've been playing that game for weeks.

Reactions: Graves94

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Montreal is a team we should handle. We have the outdoor game Sunday and it's going to be very cold. Islanders have four days off. I think letting Igor rest is a good call.

Reactions: Cmox

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
This requires research!

Side by side of Habs (left) compared to Rangers (right):

View attachment 820163

Aside from the Habs feed being more zoomed in (closer to ice level) which I don't love, they also have the ice surface a bit lighter like you said.
The lighting in the Garden has always been dim. The cameras for MSG aren't great either. No matter what TV you have it wont make it look great because the signal coming in is shit. But they could improve the damn lighting. Some arenas are very bright and it does make a difference on the telecast.

Not to mention some arenas / telecasts in Canada have actually gone to full HD/4K - not sure which or when but that isnt really the subject here. (Would be nice but its doubtful that ever happens on the regular)

Reactions: Lua

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Montreal is a team we should handle. We have the outdoor game Sunday and it's going to be very cold. Islanders have four days off. I think letting Igor rest is a good call.

What's the forecast?

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
That really turned into an electrifying game the last time we played them. Dave Maloney was gonna blow a nut it was sattaday night in canadia.

Unpredictable1

Jan 27, 2008
Alberta
I was watching that game in the tv room of my university residence with like 10 other guys razzing me. Was disgusting.

People not from the Rock will simply not understand how ridiculous habs fans are back there. Some of the worst.

It's pretty bad when your own close friends can be absolutely insufferable trying to take in a game. lol

edit: residence, I'm assuming MUN?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad