GDT: Game 53: Bruins @ Oilers - 8 PM - Sportsnet

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidHasselhoffsFist

Seen some dark places, but always pop back out!
May 9, 2010

IMG_0152.png

jeffff

Oct 4, 2011
Not that I particularly care about Boston fans. Gotts love when your team has a 10 pm local start time....brutal

These games in hand we keep on hearing so much about, they mean squat if we don't win them.

Lets go!!

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Well the Golden Knights lost last night. Oilers are right there, 3 points back with 4 games in hand. Even Van isn't out of reach, and they've lost 3 straight. Kings have won 4 straight, but oilers still have 2 games in hand on them. Every game matters!
Vegas still play Nucks 3X and Kings still play Nucks 4X. Those teams will help us catch the Cucks. You heard it here first. Cucks have a brutal schedule of hard teams left. Kings are gonna kick the shit out of the Nucks and Oilers will benefit.

Nuge out? Brown in? ffs

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Seen this strange narrative from some of the whinier/bitch ass fanbases lately. I'm not even sure exactly what it's insinuating. McDavid gets too much praise for his highlight reel goals? I certainly didn't miss that Kings one on social media or SportsCentre last night....

Anyways, hopefully a good team shakes them out of this habit of playing almost every game since Vegas this exact same way:

First Period: Play ok in the first 10 mins, but pass up shooting chances and are "snakebit" on others. Then the other team slowly builds momentum through the back half of the first in a period that should be lopsided if the Oilers could have just shot/finished to start.

Second Period: Total no show, top to bottom embarassment. Complete refusal to shoot the puck at all.

Third Period: Decide to skate and shoot, good results happen

A strange team this bunch is, because this isn't the first time historically that a refusal to play simple hockey has created problems for themselves. The solution is simple - just shoot it. I'm sure that they have people internally screaming it at them (this iteration and prior iterations of internal people), but they just struggle to bring themselves to do it. I don't get it.
"Hide the light under a bushel."

Last season down the stretch the Oilers went uber nuts featuring and showcasing their setplays, scoring etc.

I'm more than fine with the club holding it back this year and saving it for later.

As I said in PGT the Oilers just showing up in third was basically conservation of energy. Good enough to be able to do it against a non playoff club.

Favorite team vs my favorite team when I was young. I haven’t missed too many Bruins Oilers games at home over the years. Always circled on my calendar.

Fearless Prediction; Oilers 3 Bruins 2 in OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOvertime
I liked the habs before Oilers.

Fight me. haha

Lots of Bruins tears at hands of the Habs.

I'll never forget the Ken Dryden rookie playoffs. Guy played only 6 regular season games and then stoned the league in the playoffs. With the Habs getting by BOTH Bruins and Hawks. Teams that could score.

Esposito called Dryden "that damn giraffe"

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Hoping for multiple Jake DeBrusk goals called back due to goalie interference or offside.

It would be funny to hear Louie big mad for something to his son that he seems to want to will against the Oilers every damn time

Reactions: TB12

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
"Hide the light under a bushel."

Last season down the stretch the Oilers went uber nuts featuring and showcasing their setplays, scoring etc.

I'm more than fine with the club holding it back this year and saving it for later.

As I said in PGT the Oilers just showing up in third was basically conservation of energy. Good enough to be able to do it against a non playoff club.

Even if that's the case it's a horrendous habit to get into going into the playoffs, especially when the path is likely Vegas -> LA/Vancouver -> Colorado. 2 out of those 4 teams won't have any concerns about 60 minute performances when the bullets start flying, but we still do.

Still lots of season left that ebbs and flows, but these are habits that have to go and I'd prefer to see that sooner than later. We also thought they had a lot of their problems ironed out down the stretch last year before instantly showing up again in the playoffs. The range in our game has to be a lot tighter than best in the league one week at critical things and some of the worst the next (PK and compete come to mind).

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Even if that's the case it's a horrendous habit to get into going into the playoffs, especially when the path is likely Vegas -> LA/Vancouver -> Colorado. 2 out of those 4 teams won't have any concerns about 60 minute performances when the bullets start flying, but we still do.

Still lots of season left that ebbs and flows, but these are habits that have to go and I'd prefer to see that sooner than later. We also thought they had a lot of their problems ironed out down the stretch last year before instantly showing up again in the playoffs. The range in our game has to be a lot tighter than best in the league one week at critical things and some of the worst the next (PK and compete come to mind).
Oilers still have an incredibly large segment of 30 games left until playoffs. Your concern at present is overstated. I was even saying at the time last year that the Oilers were overplaying McDrai leading to playoffs instead of parking them a bit.

EVERY team this season has gone into luls. NHL season is a long slog. Teams go into subpar play for periods and its arguably better to do that. Kings won cups in 2012, 2014 doing that. Blues won a cup doing that. All of Vegas, Colorado, and Tampa have won cups strategically parking players even longterm. You unpack in playoffs. Regular season doesn't matter save for punching the ticket.

I disagree. Oilers were knocking teams silly down the stretch when it didn't matter. its silly to do that. Save it for the playoffs. ideally a team should be focused and playing their A game half a dozen games before playoffs. To do other than that is wasting energy and showcasing plays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad