GDT: Game 50: Sharks vs. Kraken 7:30pm NBCSCA

Nth Turtle Reborn

Mar 15, 2019
I haven't caught up with the thread, also haven't posted in, what feels like, forever.

After so many seasons of us questioning, i understate, Pickles ability to contribute, weeping over his NMC or whatever it is he holds, discussing buyouts & trades in which we pay to be rid of him...

...is this Vlasic's 'bite my thumb at you sir!'?

slocal

Dude...what?
May 4, 2010
Central Coast CA
Those sound like they're almost designed to get a "what the heck?" reaction. Like those seasonal Jones Soda releases that are supposed to taste like thanksgiving/christmas dinner elements (turkey & gravy, green bean casserole, mashed potatoes & butter, etc)

The PC chips are all edible, though I wasn't too impressed with the nashville hot wings ones. They mostly just tasted spicy without any particular seasoning or flavor notes. Korean BBQ was nice but oddly got worse if you ate more than a few chips at a time. The adobo, piri-piri, and taco ones are the stars (taco is kinda just really cumin-y, but it's still nice). It also turns out there's a buffalo & blue cheese flavor too but I've never seen it.

I don't always shop at those grocers, but PC brand stuff in general has some good stuff for a store brand. I guess because it's more their prestige/fancy store brand and they have a separate brand to be the cheaper-than-brand-name option (literally called "no name" brand). They have a Bubly style run of sparkling waters in quirky and very good flavors. They had watermelon before Bubly did (and it's miles better) and also have pineapple & coconut, peach & mango (I know you're not big on peach stuff though. It weirdly smells peachy but tastes more like mango), and my low-key favorite: strawberry & calamansi citrus. It's like a less sweet strawberry lemonade.

They were special orders at the local Asian store. The husband and wife team are always ordering single boxes of random Korean potato chips and will stash bags for me as they know I'll try anything once (including stuff they won't). For the record, the spicy duck tongue flavor was not spicy enough to counter the terrible aftertaste of the "duck" flavor and the chicken feet one had an overwhelming artificial lemongrass flavor. It tasted like I was eating a caterpillar.

If i remember, i'll take a photo of some of the Lays special varieties we have here in BKK. Some wild ones

Yes! Please do!

dmcccdmn

Dec 10, 2005
UC Davis
Any idea why Vlasic, Couture and Hertl are still in the Sharks uniform? I know their contracts are bad and their trade values are either zero or negative. But why pay them to play on a rebuilding team? Eat the retaining and trade them for whatever you can get. Start with a clean slate and unburden ourselves from past mistakes and give ourselves a better chance at the top draft picks.

No one wants them even with retaining? Throw them some low draft picks. Makes no sense paying this much for these players. And for what? Being competitive at the bottom of the league?

Edit: Do you think it's too obvious and we would get fined if Couture is forced to play goalie?

• Haha
Reactions: Chinaski89

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Any idea why Vlasic, Couture and Hertl are still in the Sharks uniform? I know their contracts are bad and their trade values are either zero or negative. But why pay them to play on a rebuilding team? Eat the retaining and trade them for whatever you can get. Start with a clean slate and unburden ourselves from past mistakes and give ourselves a better chance at the top draft picks.

No one wants them even with retaining? Throw them some low draft picks. Makes no sense paying this much for these players. And for what? Being competitive at the bottom of the league?

Edit: Do you think it's too obvious and we would get fined if Couture is forced to play goalie?
The Sharks would be lucky to get some other team to take Vlasic at 50% plus one of our 1sts. He doesn't just have negative value, he has astonishingly negative value, possibly less value than any other player.

Reactions: landshark

landshark

They'll paint the donkey teal if you pay.
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist

There's only one retention slot left available for the Sharks right now, one of three slots total I think. EK65 and Burns? Too lazy to look it up on capfriendly.

Reactions: Sandisfan

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
There's only one retention slot left available for the Sharks right now, one of three slots total I think. EK65 and Burns? Too lazy to look it up on capfriendly.
The more I think about it, I don't understand the point of retaining 1.5 on EK for like 6 years. What a waste of a retention spot.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
The more I think about it, I don't understand the point of retaining 1.5 on EK for like 6 years. What a waste of a retention spot.
The point of retaining 1.5 on EK was to successfully complete the trade of EK. Who cares? It's a f***ing retention slot. I swear people will complain about anything.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose

yep. was hoping they'd offload Lebanc with that 3rd slot but he's damaged goods at this point. Ain't nobody touching his contract even at 50%

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
I don’t see the Sharks retaining on anyone since they might want to keep their options open for a bigger deal at the draft. They could take back bad salary instead or find a third team to take the retention.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Four years, including this one.

I suspect it was either retain or get nothing.

dmcccdmn

Dec 10, 2005
UC Davis
The Sharks would be lucky to get some other team to take Vlasic at 50% plus one of our 1sts. He doesn't just have negative value, he has astonishingly negative value, possibly less value than any other player.

I'm not upset having Vlasic since he's so bad that he doesn't ruin the tanking. Hertl and Couture on the other hand need to go ASAP. If they don't get top 3 pick this year, I'll be so sick.

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
I'm not upset having Vlasic since he's so bad that he doesn't ruin the tanking. Hertl and Couture on the other hand need to go ASAP. If they don't get top 3 pick this year, I'll be so sick.
Get the medicine ready ...

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
3 more years. Its not as bad as you are making it out to be.
Also what's the proposed alternative here? Would fans have been okay with getting a 2nd from Pittsburgh instead of a 1st if it meant no retention? I sure as hell wouldn't make that tradeoff.

Way too much handwringing over losing out on a chance to get a 2026 5th rounder for retaining half of Adam Henrique's salary or whatever as a third party at the deadline.

Reactions: coooldude

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Also what's the proposed alternative here? Would fans have been okay with getting a 2nd from Pittsburgh instead of a 1st if it meant no retention? I sure as hell wouldn't make that tradeoff.

Way too much handwringing over losing out on a chance to get a 2026 5th rounder for retaining half of Adam Henrique's salary or whatever as a third party at the deadline.
Obviously the best would of been no retention and the exact same return. But we all know that probably was not even a remote possibility in the real world.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
No, but perhaps it’s the difference between trading someone like Hertl or Logan and not.
And we still can trade one of them out if need be. Again it is not that big of an issue. And then after next season we gain back another one once Burns comes off the books.

And both Hertl and Couture contracts are easier to fit into teams cap then Karlsson was also. Especially with the cap supposedly drastically going up within the next 3 years.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
And we still can trade one of them out if need be. Again it is not that big of an issue. And then after next season we gain back another one once Burns comes off the books.

And both Hertl and Couture contracts are easier to fit into teams cap then Karlsson was also. Especially with the cap supposedly drastically going up within the next 3 years.
There are going to be very few, in any teams, who will be interested in trading for two guys in their thirties on long expensive deals without retention.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
There are going to be very few, in any teams, who will be interested in trading for two guys in their thirties on long expensive deals without retention.
Since there is zero reason to actually trade either of them this season, then it is only 3 years for Couture to be on the books, and then keep Hertl for 1 extra year and do his when Burns comes off the books. Then in 2 years all we have left is Hertl.

You are still way overthinking this entire retention spots. As there is zero need to trade even one of these 2 let alone both of them. This team still needs high end veterans on the team, or this team is never going to move past the rebuilding stage.

Reactions: sharks_dynasty

Ad

Upcoming events

• Granada vs Osasuna
    Granada vs Osasuna
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $20.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3