GDT: Game 50: Sharks vs. Kraken 7:30pm NBCSCA

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Since there is zero reason to actually trade either of them this season, then it is only 3 years for Couture to be on the books, and then keep Hertl for 1 extra year and do his when Burns comes off the books. Then in 2 years all we have left is Hertl.

You are still way overthinking this entire retention spots. As there is zero need to trade even one of these 2 let alone both of them. This team still needs high end veterans on the team, or this team is never going to move past the rebuilding stage.
There are still a fair amount of high end vets on the team and keeping two aging overpaid 2Cs seems redundant. Right now they'd have more value for a contender than for us.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
There are still a fair amount of high end vets on the team and keeping two aging overpaid 2Cs seems redundant. Right now they'd have more value for a contender than for us.
Who are these high end vets that can actually shelter the rookies? Couture still has talent but he is even at a point in his career where he needs a play driver to be truly successful.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Who are these high end vets that can actually shelter the rookies? Couture still has talent but he is even at a point in his career where he needs a play driver to be truly successful.
Hell, Ruuta has probably been our most influential blue liner in terms of the work and constant communications with Okhotiuk and Makh, and he was merely a throw in in the Karlsson deal. The amount of time I saw Granlund working and talking with young guys in between whistles... the point is the team doesn't need both Hertl AND Couture at this point in their rebuild.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Hell, Ruuta has probably been our most influential blue liner in terms of the work and constant communications with Okhotiuk and Makh, and he was merely a throw in in the Karlsson deal. The amount of time I saw Granlund working and talking with young guys in between whistles... the point is the team doesn't need both Hertl AND Couture at this point in their rebuild.
You are right we don't need both, and we can still easily remove one using retention hence your entire argument that we should not have used retention on Karlsson is just for arguments sake.

And by the time we need to think about removing the 2nd one, we will have the Karlsson retention slot back.

Grandlund and Ruuta have been good for us this year, but they really are not good enough though like a Couture or a Hertl to properly shelter the young players.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I really have a newfound respect for Logan after he came back. Just the difference of seeing a guy of his level missing and then being placed back in is very, very noticeable. I think he’s grown a lot as a leader and human - he used to kinda irritate me, but I really value him now.

I maintain that having Couture and Hertl - great leaders, great players, guys who have learned from Joe Thornton, etc. is not a bad thing to have around in a rebuild. It’s what helps us not be Buffalo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad