GDT: Game 50: Red Wings vs sens 7:00 pm et 1/31/24 (ESPN+, BSD)

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
That was stupid.

We couldn't get out of our own way, figuratively and literally. All we had to do was play our game and we win. But no, there's pressure and payback and physicality and grit and all this shit that we can't seem to deal with and we look nervous and unsure and have no idea where our teammates are and we're chasing the game. If this team makes the playoffs they will go nowhere. They can't handle a somewhat meaningful game against a meaningless rival led by a Muppet.

Stop thinking. Stop trying. Just play.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Detroit and playing down to bottomfeeders, name a more iconic duo. Teams like Sharks and Sens giving us fits this season.

Good to be able to get a point despite playing an awful game though. Break is needed and hopefully they'll come back energized.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
We don't hate you guys in the slightest. We find it comical how much hatred there was for us in your GDT though.
This is a bit disingenuous, there was an equal amount of hate in the sens forum. Once you guys won there was plenty of gloating and “eat shit wings” going around.

It’s a good rivalry, let’s not pretend like it’s one sided. It certainly isn’t for the players.

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
We don't hate you guys in the slightest. We find it comical how much hatred there was for us in your GDT though.
Might have been the part last game where sens fans were making fun of Larkin being knocked out on the ice thing.

Also they def talked mad shit winning the bubble cup championship 2 games series last season. I mean is it really that hard to figure out?

I mean even the main board gives it to sens fans for talking super shit in the offseason. So this "what us?" stuff is pretty funny.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

LudwigVonKarlsson

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
This is a bit disingenuous, there was an equal amount of hate in the sens forum. Once you guys won there was plenty of gloating and “eat shit wings” going around.

It’s a good rivalry, let’s not pretend like it’s one sided. It certainly isn’t for the players.
The only "rivalry" here is between certain posters on this website as the vast majority don't care. Color me shocked that people on the sens board celebrate a win against a divisional team.

LudwigVonKarlsson

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Might have been the part last game where sens fans were making fun of Larkin being knocked out on the ice thing.

Also they def talked mad shit winning the bubble cup championship 2 games series last season. I mean is it really that hard to figure out?

I mean even the main board gives it to sens fans for talking super shit in the offseason. So this "what us?" stuff is pretty funny.
The vast majority of the fans trying to dunk on the sens every single chance they get are the same fans of divisional rivals in every single sens thread. Where exactly is all the shit talking from the sens fans in the off-season? You mean where sens fans were optimistic that they might be a playoff team after a long rebuild? At best they were given a 50% chance by most publications, only Craig Button was pumping them up during the offseason.

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
Larkin summed it up well in the post game. A tight checking game played on the outside.

In the whining department, they lost because Holl can't play D (why he didn't shift after the turn over in his own zone after they finally fish it out of the crease and send it down w/o icing is beyond me. This guy just isn't an NHL D'man. The knock on Cat is his defense and backchecking. That was made painfully clear with the OT winner. Wrong side, step behind, game over.

At least they got 1.

As for this idea of retribution or some Avs type rivalry, forgetaboutit. The game is far removed from 1997.

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
The vast majority of the fans trying to dunk on the sens every single chance they get are the same fans of divisional rivals in every single sens thread. Where exactly is all the shit talking from the sens fans in the off-season? You mean where sens fans were optimistic that they might be a playoff team after a long rebuild? At best they were given a 50% chance by most publications, only Craig Button was pumping them up during the offseason.
I just took a quick gander at the Sens GDT and didn't have to look at but one page to see the same shit talk over there. Even again making fun of Larkin. Wings fans talking shit, and Sens fans talking shit.

Like I don't get it your shocked to see that in here?

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
I just took a quick gander at the Sens GDT and didn't have to look at but one page to see the same shit talk over there. Even again making fun of Larkin. Wings fans talking shit, and Sens fans talking shit.

Like I don't get it your shocked to see that in here?
The Sens are not a relevant NHL franchise. Why even bother reading their fan boards?

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
The only "rivalry" here is between certain posters on this website as the vast majority don't care. Color me shocked that people on the sens board celebrate a win against a divisional team.
The teams clearly play with extra fire against each other. Tkachuk even said he hates Detroit. What is your crusade with acting like nobody in Ottawa cares?
we hate Ottawa. Yall hate us. That’s ok! It’s sports! Its hatred all in good fun!

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Larkin summed it up well in the post game. A tight checking game played on the outside.

In the whining department, they lost because Holl can't play D (why he didn't shift after the turn over in his own zone after they finally fish it out of the crease and send it down w/o icing is beyond me. This guy just isn't an NHL D'man. The knock on Cat is his defense and backchecking. That was made painfully clear with the OT winner. Wrong side, step behind, game over.

At least they got 1.

As for this idea of retribution or some Avs type rivalry, forgetaboutit. The game is far removed from 1997.

Yeah. It was a tight game. Detroit didn't play their best to get to the middle, Ottawa did. Lyon helped the Wings steal a point here. Not the outcome I wanted but it's not the end of the world.

It's the all star break, fellas. We can celebrate the Wings having their best January since 2012 with 20 points!

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin

Yeah - the comments post game on the Sens board are rather amusing.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Why do we have to get the Lindholm canucks now? Really bad luck to come outta break against nucks x2 and oilers.
Actually is perfect timing. Lindholm won't have any time to practice with the team so unless they find instant chemistry, that line will be discombobulated most of the game

Whoever lines up against them might be the best +/- of the game

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
couldnt help myself (put on sens boad). i get why drw fans might not like sens (they got our number) but why do sens fans hate drw/drw fans again?
They are upset because we were right about them getting essentially nothing for debrincat when they were thinking (yes this actually was said multiple times) that we would have to give up raymond, seider, or edvinsson. Then, when they started to realize they were insane, they thought maybe berggren and willander. Then they got kubalik who they are healthy scratching, a bottom 10 pick in the 1st round and some throw in's.

Then it became they were so much better than us because of sTUtzlE! The diver in other words. Then it became wow you guys signed so many players and are going to suck even more. YzerPlAn mUsT BE WorKiNg!! Then they became the basement team and we became a playoff team.

Feels a lot like jealousy to me and a lot of envy. It's okay though, Pinto scored in OT while falling down and hitting the boards at the exact time sportsnet was running board ad's for bet365.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
The Sens are not a relevant NHL franchise. Why even bother reading their fan boards?
Agreed. And especially don't post there, at least not during a GDT because it's rarely going to be welcomed (understandably) and will only encourage more of the Sens trolls that are lurking to post here.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Both fanbases are obnoxious and annoying. Stop trying to make this a rivalry. All because DBC wanted out of Ottawa and to come play for the Wings? Is that what started all this?

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Back to the actual game, am i right in thinking that last night Fester split up the Maatta-Holl pairing that had been decent (and the wings had been great defensively overall) and switched to Holl-Ghost and Maatta-Petry?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad