GDT: Game 50: Red Wings vs sens 7:00 pm et 1/31/24 (ESPN+, BSD)

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Both fanbases are obnoxious and annoying. Stop trying to make this a rivalry. All because DBC wanted out of Ottawa and to come play for the Wings? Is that what started all this?
No. It predates Debrincat coming to the Wings. The sens won the Stanley Cup in that regular season btb sweep against us before Debrincat came.

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
Back to the actual game, am i right in thinking that last night Fester split up the Maatta-Holl pairing that had been decent (and the wings had been great defensively overall) and switched to Holl-Ghost and Maatta-Petry?
Yeah I dunno what was up with that, Ghost-Holl only played 13-14 mins. Boy did it feel longer than that. Maatta looks good tho, Maatta-Hronek good.

Really feels like we are just doing a catch and release with Ghost here, Ed can take his spots.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Yeah I meant more like next season. Not offering Ghost a contract potentially.

The problem there is that Ghost usually plays the right side. For Ed to play, Maatta has to sit, or Ed has to play the right side. He's probably better than Holl even if he has to play his off hand side though. I can see a 3 man rotation on the bottom pair to start next season if Ghost leaves.

Ed learning to play both sides would benefit him and the team in the long run. I know he's played his off hand side, but I don't think he's done it for any extended period or at the NHL level. (Chiarot played the right side last season IIRC)

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
The problem there is that Ghost usually plays the right side. For Ed to play, Maatta has to sit, or Ed has to play the right side. He's probably better than Holl even if he has to play his off hand side though. I can see a 3 man rotation on the bottom pair to start next season if Ghost leaves.

Ed learning to play both sides would benefit him and the team in the long run. I know he's played his off hand side, but I don't think he's done it for any extended period or at the NHL level. (Chiarot played the right side last season IIRC)

Chiarot played the right side when paired with Ed.

Trading Ghost means these could be the pairs:

Walman - Seider
Edvinsson - Chiarot
Maatta - Petry/Holl

Soo...picking up Hanifin or Andersson from Calgary would be pretty nice.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
When Chariot comes back after the break, Holl sits.
I'd like to see Ghost traded for the best pick he can get at the deadline, and Edvinsson brought up in his place. I'd also like to see Maatta+1st moved for Hanifin at the deadline. Then staple Holl's ass to the press box and run Seider-Walman, Edvinsson-Hanifin, Chiarot-Petry.

Yes, our second pair would both be left handers. It can't be as bad as always having three of Maatta, Ghost, Petry, Holl on the ice in important defensive situations and blowing it.

The average age of our top-4 D would be what, 23? 24? And it would be one of the best groups in the league.

This comes from someone who loves Ghost's offense, but we have too many defensive liabilities playing too many important minutes, and I think Seider-Walman could put up a lot more offense if they weren't being relied upon to play every hard minute of every game.

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
Both fanbases are obnoxious and annoying. Stop trying to make this a rivalry. All because DBC wanted out of Ottawa and to come play for the Wings? Is that what started all this?

I thought it was because they tried to kill Larkin and KaChunk Jr. called out the entire bench.

When Chariot comes back after the break, Holl sits, on a bus with the other Griffin players.

EDITED FOR CLARITY

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Chiarot played the right side when paired with Ed.

Trading Ghost means these could be the pairs:

Walman - Seider
Edvinsson - Chiarot
Maatta - Petry/Holl

Soo...picking up Hanifin or Andersson from Calgary would be pretty nice.

I don't see Fester breaking up a pair that works. Chiarot looks like a serviceable 2nd pair with Petry, whereas he looked like ass otherwise. He also didn't play well with another young stud defenseman on this team. Not to mention that if Ed isn't even on the roster, they aren't going to elevate him to second pair to start the season.

Things might change as the season progresses, but I'm willing to bet money that Ed starts out on the bottom pair. What happens from there will depend on his play. Quite frankly, I hope Ed eventually moves up to the top pair, and Walman can make Holl/Matta look good like he did with Oesterle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad