GDT: Game 50: Columbus at Pittsburgh | 2/3 7PM

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio
[=Bobcat110;127705625]We own 3 on 3

Not with Dubi getting the bulk of the time out there. We only own 3 on 3 because of Wennberg and Jones being ridiculously talented in open space.

Next time Torts wants to reward a players good game, give him a pat on the back, not Wennberg's 3 on 3 time.

It did affect his shot. Watch again.[/QUOTE]

We lost 4 on 3. Not 3 on 3. Refs found their whistles.

Not having 1 power play in over the last 2 games and only 2 PPs in 4 games isn't real.

Yet. 3 points in 4 on the road is winning hockey.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Especially based on the tone the refs had set all night.

Crosby gets special treatment...... If I was Torts I'd take him out..... hit the guy as he's never been hit before. take him out!!!!!!!

Half of the reason he's so good is that NHL helps him to be good, it's not fair.

EdwardG

Let's Dance!
Mar 17, 2009
Columbus
Just got through watching the game (well, all of the 3rd, parts of the rest).

- Jackets were great in the 3rd, best they've looked in a month. Flat out exciting to watch. Great passing.
- Dubinsky and Jenner were great, although Dubi had a bad TO in the OT that lost it.
- Saad should've won it in the OT... missed a wide open net. Don't see him do that too often.
- ZERO power plays again... thanks officials. :thumbd:

All in all, very happy with the play this game. They play like this more often going forward and they are going to have a lot of points by the end of the year.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I flat out love Wennberg and Jones at 3 on 3 and was disappointed not to see them start out there, but I'll get over it.

It was a hell of a battle back. Happy with the players.

MFRONE

Feb 3, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Crosby gets special treatment...... If I was Torts I'd take him out..... hit the guy as he's never been hit before. take him out!!!!!!!

Half of the reason he's so good is that NHL helps him to be good, it's not fair.
That call is made every single time in that situation, regardless of who is on the breakaway. He was hooked in the arm and it was called as it happened.

EdwardG

Let's Dance!
Mar 17, 2009
Columbus
Dubi probably should've just shot the puck in the OT.

Boy though, that was a great play by Wennberg to get by 2 guys and set up that wide open Saad shot. Great passing there too. Saad has to bury that one.

Some people seem in a sour mood but that was exciting play in the 3rd by the Jackets.

CBJfan4evr

Mar 8, 2008
New Albany
Can't beat pens and refs. CBJ played better. No complaints.

At the game tonite; have to say it was much better than last year's trip we really miss Savard and Nutivara. The defensive pair line blender was killer. Prout flat out stinks. Happy with the point; but not so much the way we lost it. knew Pens would get a PP sometime at the end of game. PP beat us in 2014 playoffs and showed up again tonight. We aren't getting any/many PP's over last 4 games. Refs swallowing their whistles.

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio
At the game tonite; have to say it was much better than last year's trip we really miss Savard and Nutivara. The defensive pair line blender was killer. Prout flat out stinks. Happy with the point; but not so much the way we lost it. knew Pens would get a PP sometime at the end of game. PP beat us in 2014 playoffs and showed up again tonight. We aren't getting any/many PP's over last 4 games. Refs swallowing their whistles.

3 of last 4 games with zero power plays. Just unheard of. Glad CBJ are home for something like 8 of next 10 games

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
For the love of Gordie Howe, the guy who makes the 3 on 3 go is ATKINSON. How many game winners or ties does he have versus Wennberg? For all of his fancy passing, tonite was a good example of Wennberg's limits. Yes, he made a good pass to Saad but Saad missed the shot. Wennberg is a complimentary player. He relies upon someone else to put the puck in the net.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
For the love of Gordie Howe, the guy who makes the 3 on 3 go is ATKINSON. How many game winners or ties does he have versus Wennberg? For all of his fancy passing, tonite was a good example of Wennberg's limits. Yes, he made a good pass to Saad but Saad missed the shot. Wennberg is a complimentary player. He relies upon someone else to put the puck in the net.

Okay. And? Thornton is the same way. Is he a complimentary player?

Columbus Mike

2015-16 CBJ
Feb 21, 2008
So much misery in here. Three out of four points from road games at the Rangers and Penguins and most posts have a negative slant.

We played a pretty good game last night with a mess of a D corp, and you can't convince me Pittsburgh is better. If the defense is healthy I'm certainly not afraid of them if it's the first round pairing.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Tough ending, but nice to see Dubi and Boone get it going. Good comeback for this average team.

They need to keep it going. We've seen occasional flashes of brilliance but as soon as it appears it is gone next game. Consistency is what is needed from them.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

So it's Wennberg's fault Saad missed? Your logic here escapes me.
I haven't gone back and looked but there are very few unassisted goals. If Wennberg has 55 or so assists that means he was involved with 55 goals. Should we bench him?

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
My point is I am sick of people gushing over Wennberg's modest but reasonable contributions (including 3 x 3) when you have Cam who will have almost as many assists plus 40 goals.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
So much misery in here. Three out of four points from road games at the Rangers and Penguins and most posts have a negative slant.

We played a pretty good game last night with a mess of a D corp, and you can't convince me Pittsburgh is better. If the defense is healthy I'm certainly not afraid of them if it's the first round pairing.

Yeah I think the Jackets can take them in the playoffs.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
My point is I am sick of people gushing over Wennberg's modest but reasonable contributions (including 3 x 3) when you have Cam who will have almost as many assists plus 40 goals.

I don't have the stats with me but I don't think Wennberg's contribution at 3 v 3 is modest at all. I think he and Jones are the main reasons the Jackets have such a sterling OT record. If anyone can find the stats I'd love to see them.

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
I can't believe anyone's whining about the penalty. Crosby, in overtime, has a one on one with the goalie, and gets hooked from behind right as he's about to release the shot. That's a penalty fifteen times out of ten.

It's one thing to let the players battle, and let go a lot of the holding and battling throughout the course of the game. It's another to let an obvious hook go on a clear scoring chance. We had several penalties that could have been called against us in that game that weren't.

That all said... we were wondering if maybe this team's real level was being masked by having the best power play in the league. We'd been wondering what would happen when that "normalized", for lack of a better term. Well, in the last two games, both on the road, the power play was literally a non-factor, and we got 3 points. And we know THAT isn't going to keep up, either.

squarelaces

Aug 6, 2005

Ha! Alternate facts reach HF! But you're right, Cam did have a big effect on last night's 3 on 3.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137

I didn't know being 5th in the league in assists behind McD, Backstrom, Karlsson and Kane is modest production. Wennberg has also been shooting a lot more. He was firing the puck from all over last night and has goals in back to back games.

I love Cam, but he's 27 and Wennberg is doing what he is doing at 22 and is only 3 points behind Cam. Wennberg has basically doubled his production every season in the league and is very possible he does it again this year. Cam uses his speed and shooting to make plays. Wennberg uses his mind and positioning to make plays.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I'm not sure if Edm is trying to say here. Is he saying to replace a center with a RW in OT? If so, not having a center with 2 wingers sounds like a recipe for disaster. I'm not sure what he's really arguing but I can safely say that he wouldn't find any support in the coaching community. I don't know did it go 4 on 4 at some point and we had 2 centers out there?

The comments about having assists is pretty inaccurate, Wennberg has 12 more assists than Cam has.

I didn't see the play in question, but it sure sounds like Wennberg did what he's supposed to.

MephistoIV

Dec 14, 2003
Visit site
I'm not sure if Edm is trying to say here. Is he saying to replace a center with a RW in OT? If so, not having a center with 2 wingers sounds like a recipe for disaster. I'm not sure what he's really arguing but I can safely say that he wouldn't find any support in the coaching community.

The comments about having assists is pretty inaccurate, Wennberg has 12 more assists than Cam has.

I didn't see the play in question, but it sure sounds like Wennberg did what he's supposed to.

:handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap:

CBJfan4evr

Mar 8, 2008
New Albany

While I agree Cam can create (thats one reason he is an allstar). I disagree on Wennberg. He is growing into a passing shooting role as the season rolls on. In a few years I expect he'll be one of top C's in NHL. It takes time and experience. Jones had a few of those 3-3 earler this year. Patience enjoy the journey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad